Shopping Discussion

Buying Backpack on Amazon.ca, But Ships From U.S.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2017 4:42 pm
[OP]
Feb 3, 2017
87 posts
7 upvotes

Buying Backpack on Amazon.ca, But Ships From U.S.

I am looking to buy a backpack on amazon.ca, but the colour I want isn't fulfilled by Amazon Prime. The colour I want must be shipped from Ohio, U.S.. It shows that shipping is free, but when I proceed to checkout, it shows that I'm not being charged tax and there is no estimation for duties.

Will I be charged taxes and duties at the door? Just duties? How do I know? I sent an email to the seller, but I figured I could ask the wise members of RFD.

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
12461 posts
2372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
You won't pay anything extra. What you're billed through Amazon is what you'll pay. Doesn't matter where it's shipping from.

If you order from Amazon.com, it's a different story. Although you'll pay the taxes and duties up front in that scenario.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Feb 3, 2017
87 posts
7 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:02 pm
You won't pay anything extra. What you're billed through Amazon is what you'll pay. Doesn't matter where it's shipping from.

If you order from Amazon.com, it's a different story. Although you'll pay the taxes and duties up front in that scenario.
Why would I not be paying at least the provincial taxes? How come I find myself paying taxes sometimes and not others?
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
12461 posts
2372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
LazedOut8 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 8:01 pm
Why would I not be paying at least the provincial taxes? How come I find myself paying taxes sometimes and not others?
I don't know. Sometimes I don't pay tax on Amazon shit either. Just go with it.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Feb 3, 2017
87 posts
7 upvotes
Well this is awfully confusing. Im still waiting for a reply from the retailer to see what to expect.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17750 posts
4438 upvotes
LazedOut8 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 8:01 pm
You only pay taxes if the seller has a presence in the province.
GST should be paid regardless since it's nationwide but even that's hit or miss.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2017
87 posts
7 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:23 pm
You only pay taxes if the seller has a presence in the province.
GST should be paid regardless since it's nationwide but even that's hit or miss.
Well, this item will be shipping from Ohio, so I guess GST wouldnt need to be paid either? My main concern is duties. It would make or break the purchase of the backpack depending on how much I would hypoethically be charged at the door.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6875 posts
598 upvotes
Victoria
I think Canada Post lets so much stuff slide, that we really don't know how or why tax is charged on a lot of things.

My gut instinct, is if the seller is shipping it from the US, it's possible it could be subject to brokerage/taxes when it cross the border. That being said Canada Post lets so much stuff slide that should taxed, that odds are it won't be assessed tax. I'm finding that only my big orders get assessed for taxes (like $200 big.... sub $100 I almost never get charged).

I've never been charged for anything I've bought off any amazon site either. It's why it was annoying when Ebay and Amazon introduced forced import fees. I would rather of played the odds with Canada Post :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel