[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1705 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver

Buying BBQ should I get GC or Use CC?

Hi

I will probably be buying a bbq at Canadian Tire or Walmart. I narrowed it down to 2 models, Canadian Tire one is around $170 and Walmart is around $150.

I have to go check them out in more detail , though if I do buy the Canadian tire model, would it be better for me to go to Superstore and buy GCs and get the 3% back through the PC CC or should I take the hit and just put it on my Aspire cash at 1.5% for the sake of price protection(though these 2 models don't really seem to go on sale) and the extra warranty.

I know it's not much money and literally will be a few dollars difference but why leave money on the table.

I also read somewhere sometime Shoppers has 10% off on Canadian Tire cards, how often do they go on sale?

I still probably 2-3 weeks out before I need to buy my bbq as my complex is rebuilding the fences right now, so no point getting it, till it is done.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23639 posts
1167 upvotes
Markham, ON
note, that some credit cards offer extended warranty....not sure if applicable to bbq...but it should and may add 1 year of additional warranty.

However, some cc require you to filled purchase the item with the card and not pay by gift card.

However considering the bbq is only 150-170...i wouldnt stress saving a few bucks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1705 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
thelefteyeguy wrote:
May 16th, 2018 4:54 pm
note, that some credit cards offer extended warranty....not sure if applicable to bbq...but it should and may add 1 year of additional warranty.

However, some cc require you to filled purchase the item with the card and not pay by gift card.

However considering the bbq is only 150-170...i wouldnt stress saving a few bucks.
Yea, not sure if the warranty will apply to a bbq, I was also thinking about the price drop protect that gives me 60 days if the price goes lower, but last year even on clearance these bbqs only dropped by $20, so not sure how useful that is.

So since I have time before I buy it, was just figuring what way is best.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4149 posts
2183 upvotes
Truth is...

BBQs are more and more becoming a consumable item... with the average model not lasting much longer than 3 to 5 years (especially so if you are a year round griller)

We have given up buying expensive, and now just go with whatever is stainless and on sale ... we do buy it a decent cover, and work hard to keep it out of the weather in the wintertime although it is outside (covered patio)

As a matter of principle, we don’t shop at Walmart... so that’s off the table for my comments here (so many reasons... but mostly this is a BIG CORP who only cares about themselves, and not you the consumer)

So... Cdn Tire

They get a lot of ribbing on RFD, but overall are still a decent Cdn Co. that gives back to the community, and as long as you find something on sale, or competitively priced... nothing wrong with Cdn Tire

And now they have their Triangle Rewards / CT Money Program... so opportunities to get cash back has improved. If you don’t already have this CT Money Loyalty Card Get one. Then sign up online for emails etc (works kind of like the PCO Program... except you have to LOAD the offers they send you).

Use your Triangle Rewards / CT Money Card (or Key Tag) alongside however else you decide to pay for the BBQ

You can use your Aspire CC for that Cash Back & Warranty ... although not sure how the warranty will serve you on an inexpensive “consumable” BBQ.

Or, you can look around for whoever is offering CT Gift Cards that also gives Points, be it on a Credit Card you have now in your wallet... or alongside another loyalty card / Promotion

Shoppers Drugmart doesn’t have as many GC promos as they used to... and neither them or PC+ Loblaws Group gives out PCO Points otherwise on GCs

But watch the flyers (Flipp is a good source) for other Retailers who often do have promos... several associated with AirMiles if you have that loyalty card in your wallet
(Rexall - Sobey’s Group - Shell - Staples etc)

EDIT / ADD:

Or... check out this freakin awesome RFD HOT DEALS Topic on GC Deals & Discounts... that has just been brought to my attention in my ongoing AirMiles 2018 Topic by @trystee ... who is a great contributor here on RFD

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/various ... 8-2161518/

Lol, seems to be that there are always great folks on RFD who volunteer their time & energies to creating topics that answer every money saving question possible... some you don’t even know you want or need, until you do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)