• Feb 20th, 2011 4:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 18, 2011
3 posts
Quebec Trois-Riviere…

Buying books online in Canada

Hello, I'm new to the forums, although I've been lurking for a long time.

I was wondering if there was any decent online bookstores in Canada other than Amazon, I've had a pretty bad experience where Amazon decided it would be clever to ship my things with UPS, and I had to walk for 4 hours to get my parcel and come back home(I'm a college student, no car) since UPS gave me 0 support and refused to arrange a delivery time where I was at home(And the 3 times they tried to ship, they did it at completely random times, first time 1 PM, second time 11 AM, third time 3 PM). I contacted Amazon and they said they can't do anything about it. So I'm boycotting Amazon, since they absolutely refuse to let me choose the shipper, even if I pay additional money from my pocket.

Enough of that. Is there anywhere else with a decent selection of books I can buy from in Canada that lets me ship by Canada Post?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1978 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, and welcome to the site.

I also use Book Depository and Better World Books. Shipping is free (regardless of amount), but slow. However, each package arrived via Canada Post.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2481 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
is there a minimum amount to get free shipping with book depository? I keep hearing good things about them
Apr 14, 2010
405 posts
134 upvotes
Chapters ships with Canada post. I believe there is free shipping if you spend $30. Also, if you look around online you can usually find a coupon code for $5 off if you spend over $25.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2011
3 posts
Quebec Trois-Riviere…
Thanks for the tips

After complaining to Amazon about the UPS shipping for the second time(replied), they sent me an e-mail back saying they were sending another parcel express shipping. Oh boy, looks like their employees can't even read :( .

Asked them to cancel that other parcel.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2688 posts
601 upvotes
Ottawa
Sefam wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 8:49 pm
Thanks for the tips

After complaining to Amazon about the UPS shipping for the second time(replied), they sent me an e-mail back saying they were sending another parcel express shipping. Oh boy, looks like their employees can't even read :( .

Asked them to cancel that other parcel.

While it may seem stupid, but that may be the employee's solution.

They just recall the first pacel, and UPS delivers the second parcel. BAM! You now have 3 more attempts of delivery :P

And for your viewing pleasure, a video of how UPS deliveries work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTlLOF2moxY
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1133 upvotes
Montreal
I sticked to buying books through amazon.com even though I need to pay shipping because the charges are still slightly cheaper than I order from Chapters.

Is there any neighbours/relatives lived close by can receive the books for you?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1978 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Mugen123 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 7:10 pm
is there a minimum amount to get free shipping with book depository? I keep hearing good things about them

Nope.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3261 posts
461 upvotes
Hamilton
Gigi wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 6:56 pm
Hi, and welcome to the site.

I also use Book Depository and Better World Books. Shipping is free (regardless of amount), but slow. However, each package arrived via Canada Post.
Those are 2 decent looking sites. Thanks very much for the info. Bookmarked.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16301 posts
8630 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
adblink182 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2011 10:13 am
Those are 2 decent looking sites.
One more in the same genre: http://www.awesomebooks.com/. I've had good service from them as well as BookDepository. Sometimes one is slightly cheaper than the other or has stock the other one doesn't.

These sites seem to be sprouting up faster than DealExtreme clones ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
204 upvotes
I've used http://www.alibris.com/ before when buying gifts. But what I don't understand is why people don't just get a library card? You can have the same books, but for free!
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1978 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Kris81 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2011 2:06 pm
... But what I don't understand is why people don't just get a library card? You can have the same books, but for free!
I don't buy books that I'm only going to read once. I only buy reference books and books that will be used repeatedly.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30052 posts
1333 upvotes
Fernando Po
I've purchased from the Book Depository twice. They ship ever book individually in an envelope, none have arrived damaged (about thirty books). First time, got all the books within about 10 days. Second time took nearly a month. If you're looking to save some money, they're a good way to go. If you need it fast, forget it.