Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
438 upvotes
BC

Buying car seat covers - terrible experience with <car seat co>

I bought car seat covers from some place called SC (snipped) but the car seat cover already has holes (under 8 months) and it came with terrible stitching, loop holes sticking out. I complained and was told it is "just the stitching", nothing wrong with the product.

Does anyone have any tips/experience on where to buy car seat covers? Not Canadian Tire please, I hate the material on those.
Go Raptors, Go!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1203 posts
345 upvotes
Ontario
What's wrong with the actual seats that came with the car? All seat covers are thin, hideous pieces of garbage.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Kwando wrote: What's wrong with the actual seats that came with the car? All seat covers are thin, hideous pieces of garbage.
Depends how long you want to keep the vehicle. Easier to replace a wrecked worn out seat cover than to get a seat reupholstered.

And any generic fit seat covers are like that, but custom made ones are not. But of course cost more
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
http://costcocanada.coverking.com/?cost ... SC&lang=en

They're not cheap but they're very high quality.
I just put in a quote for my front seats only and they came to just over $300.
I think I paid around $200USD ish the first time I bought mine.
Kwando wrote: What's wrong with the actual seats that came with the car?
What's wrong with protecting what's underneath? I've pulled off my covers and they get nasty after a few years.
Toss it in the wash and you get fresh seats.
All seat covers are thin, hideous pieces of garbage.
No they're not. The neoprene ones I linked above are far from thin.
Nor are they hideous.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
438 upvotes
BC
death_hawk wrote: http://costcocanada.coverking.com/?cost ... SC&lang=en

That's the thing that irks me - Shear Comfort were custom made so expensive and their customer service is terrible.

Now that there is a small hole within 8 months, it tells me their quality is crap too

Grr.

And yeah - plan to keep the car for ages so would rather protect the seats.

Thanks for the recommendation death_hawk, I'll take a look.
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I just had another look and if you're on a budget, the Veloci-Vent line is apparently $180 for my car so I would imagine that it scales.

I've never used them since I have the neoprenes so I can't comment on how good/bad they are.

Just as a guideline, I have a 2010 (bought in 2009) and bought covers like a month after I got my vehicle. They're damn near 7 years old and the covers still look new.
There's no wear, no pilling, no broken stitches, nothing. They are a little dirty since I haven't washed them but they have literally zero wear on them.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1328 posts
1337 upvotes
A car seat cover can make more comfortable? If it does, I want to buy a seat cover for summer use.
Because when I park the car at outdoor parking, the car seat can go to 80 degrees...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
malcom1666 wrote: A car seat cover can make more comfortable? If it does, I want to buy a seat cover for summer use.
Because when I park the car at outdoor parking, the car seat can go to 80 degrees...
Let me guess: Leather?

I've never understood leather in a car.
It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
Apparently it looks nice but I can't be bothered.

I also don't understand carpet in a car either but that's just me.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: http://costcocanada.coverking.com/?cost ... SC&lang=en

What's wrong with protecting what's underneath? I've pulled off my covers and they get nasty after a few years.
Toss it in the wash and you get fresh seats.

No they're not. The neoprene ones I linked above are far from thin.
Nor are they hideous.
I looked at that to, the neoprene was around $600 for my truck. Other material was about half. Still debating about it, plan on keeping my truck for a long time so probably be worth it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Spidey wrote: I looked at that to, the neoprene was around $600 for my truck. Other material was about half. Still debating about it, plan on keeping my truck for a long time so probably be worth it
I'm assuming you bought new, so look at it this way: You spent (example) $40k on your truck.
To replace the fabric is going to cost you more than $600.
It's a fairly small price to pay to protect a large investment.
I'm also going to assume that it might be for work, so that means junk in your pockets etc.
It's probably going to be far easier to have something in your back pocket rip or tear the seat. At least with a seat cover there's a bit of leeway.

I only did my front seats mostly because I opted for Vinyl for my back seats. I don't sit in them so they're mostly for ease of cleaning than anything.
Anyone that does it in them can suffer the hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
Even then there's so much junk back there they couldn't sit down even if they wanted to.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
438 upvotes
BC
Thanks Messers

OK Shear Comfort says they will stand by their product. I will take some photos and see how they process things. The thing is I've only used it for a few months, so I'm worried about the rest of them now. Seriously don't expect to spend a lot and have them break down like CT products.
Go Raptors, Go!
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
43 upvotes
Anyone have experience with clazzio seat covers, installation seems simple enough.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I'm assuming you bought new, so look at it this way: You spent (example) $40k on your truck.
To replace the fabric is going to cost you more than $600.
It's a fairly small price to pay to protect a large investment.
I'm also going to assume that it might be for work, so that means junk in your pockets etc.
It's probably going to be far easier to have something in your back pocket rip or tear the seat. At least with a seat cover there's a bit of leeway.

I only did my front seats mostly because I opted for Vinyl for my back seats. I don't sit in them so they're mostly for ease of cleaning than anything.
Anyone that does it in them can suffer the hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
Even then there's so much junk back there they couldn't sit down even if they wanted to.
Make sense, and still thinking about it
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
438 upvotes
BC
Weeks later, still no response after they said they would own up and replace. What is wrong with this company?
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
438 upvotes
BC
OK I finally heard back - they will honor it. Good. Hopefully this replacement lasts!!!
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I just had another look and if you're on a budget, the Veloci-Vent line is apparently $180 for my car so I would imagine that it scales.

I've never used them since I have the neoprenes so I can't comment on how good/bad they are.

Just as a guideline, I have a 2010 (bought in 2009) and bought covers like a month after I got my vehicle. They're damn near 7 years old and the covers still look new.
There's no wear, no pilling, no broken stitches, nothing. They are a little dirty since I haven't washed them but they have literally zero wear on them.
Have you ordered from CarId before. They have the same covers for $400 compared to $550 at Costco. Coverking and Neoprene. Wondering what Im missing. Unless I get hit hard at the border for duty, etc
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2126 posts
1557 upvotes
Spidey wrote: Have you ordered from CarId before. They have the same covers for $400 compared to $550 at Costco. Coverking and Neoprene. Wondering what Im missing. Unless I get hit hard at the border for duty, etc
This thread is two months old.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
djpr wrote: This thread is two months old.
So? Asking a question to someone that posted recently and has had experience with the material and company

Whats your point

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)