Buying cell phones off Kijiji

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2017 6:11 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
Bought mine off Kijiji, saved $500 off $1500.

Make sure you talk to a genuine person, i.e. suburb residential house address, middle age/depressed/having too much life problems, not know too much about tech, and just want to get another thing off the list.

The one time I got scammed was dealing with a poor teenager trying to get cash and get high.

Another time, I opened up the keyboard just bought from another high schooler, found traces of "domestic herbs" inside, and it broke within months.
Last edited by LongLiveRFD on Jan 27th, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
myinglin0318 wrote: It would be nice if kijiji has a feedback/rating system like the BST section here. I have bought phones off kijiji before and I haven't been scammed...yet. It is a dangerous place to purchase cell phones but you really really need to check everything.
Then what does that leave for ebay?

KJJ is just a butt plug against new incumbents.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand how people are blacklisting brand new phones?

I have device protection on my account and the insurance company is pretty strict.

The phone you claim to have lost or stolen, must show usage on your line. And even after that, they make you send your ID, sighed affadavit, and proof of purchase.

I never got how these sellers are scamming with brand new and sealed phones.

Maybe Bell and Telus are different.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22163 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
People may be claiming a replacement phone under their home-owner's insurance or auto insurance rather than a carrier insurance plan.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: People may be claiming a replacement phone under their home-owner's insurance or auto insurance rather than a carrier insurance plan.
That doesn't raise your premiums? And what would the deductible be?

Seems risky to risk cancellation of your home or auto policy due to fraud over a trivial smartphone.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22163 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
I have no idea how a claim would affect the premiums. It may be that people are including the phone with a legitimate claim for theft or damage of other property?

All I know is that I, as a seller, would never do something so low to a buyer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
audit13 wrote: People may be claiming a replacement phone under their home-owner's insurance or auto insurance rather than a carrier insurance plan.
It wouldn't be home or auto, because the deductible would be at least $500
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22163 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
If a person is putting forth a valid insurance claim with a $500 deductible, will including the loss of a phone change the deductible amount?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)