• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2017 2:45 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes

Buying from Dealer Only auction

Hi folks,

I've tried searching for this but no dice. Anyone know of any dealers that will buy a car on spec for you from Dealer Auctions? I'm looking for 2014 Q7 and wondering what the prices are like.
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19029 posts
4121 upvotes
Thornhill
Its an auction, could be priced anywhere.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:00 pm
Its an auction, could be priced anywhere.
Maybe I should clarify, usually these dealers have access to historical sold prices at the dealer only auctions so if the prices generally were enticing compared to the current used car market, then I would like go go that route.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23204 posts
8161 upvotes
Toronto
the nicer ones are usually found @ Audi dealerships, hence the crazy high 35% markup premium. The slightly less desirable ones are auctioned off
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:06 pm
the nicer ones are usually found @ Audi dealerships, hence the crazy high 35% markup premium. The slightly less desirable ones are auctioned off
30% translates into 10K on a $46K 2014 Q7. If we are talking cosmetics and some repairs, I would gladly take $10K discount and deal with getting the dents/scratches fixed plus brakes etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10712 posts
5147 upvotes
Toronto
What are are looking to get via means other than a dealership I believe is impossible unless you have a friend with license. Hence, no search results and no answers, it won't happen here either.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:37 pm
What are are looking to get via means other than a dealership I believe is impossible unless you have a friend with license. Hence, no search results and no answers, it won't happen here either.
I am asking for referrals to someone who does have a license and would buy cars for you on spec. Why wouldn't that happen here? I had a dealer who charged me $500 plus auction fees back in 2007 but he no longer is active, so simply looking for a new contact.
Apr 17, 2015
493 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It tends to be frowned upon for those that have acounts with the dealer only auctions (Adesa) to act as brokers for individual cars, so many will never advertise so I wont name specific places.. but when I was in the market for a niche vehicle I was looking for a way to buy through private auctions and a couple dealers on Dundas ( Missisuaga) were more than willing to do it for a fee ($1000-2000 per vehicle).

Now is it worth it? Sure you'll save some money, but the expensive of the brokers fee, non-existent warranties, high auction fee's, risk of buying a lemon, etc. will dissuade plenty.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10712 posts
5147 upvotes
Toronto
Pmanchoo wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:49 pm
I am asking for referrals to someone who does have a license and would buy cars for you on spec. Why wouldn't that happen here? I had a dealer who charged me $500 plus auction fees back in 2007 but he no longer is active, so simply looking for a new contact.
It's a protective gem, car buying. You will not find a referral on RFD, hence it won't happen here, if was common place you would have found something by now. Some dealers are willing to entertain obtain a vehicle for you at auction, but finding someone just to take you to an auction, lol. I would say that a high percentage of decent vehicles don't even make it to auction. Bobblehead gave you a pretty good indication of what happens. Even still, more vehicles on trade in make it to 2nd tier used lots instead of auctions, dealers tend to have a list of connections to sell their trade in cars. You're basically looking for a stallion amongst ponies. Won't happen.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23204 posts
8161 upvotes
Toronto
You can try @tcharged. He is active in this forum (perhaps, not on a daily basis) and used to be a car salesman. I believe he knows the insiders of wholesalers & auction dealers, etc. Last known remark was that his buddy is in that business, so you can pm him via this forum and go from there.