• May 25th, 2014 7:45 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 11, 2009
569 posts
147 upvotes

Buying a dog

Hi,

I couldn't seem to find any information on Google, anyone know if there is any tax that needs to be paid when bringing a dog over from the states?

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Animals are considered as "things" so you would be subject to tax as you would any purchase. You would also need to make sure you have records of the dog's shots as they may be asked for when importing the canine.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Dec 27, 2008
10 posts
We adopted a dog from the States. The only thing that we were asked for when we crossed the border was the vaccination certificate (the requirements for vaccines depend on the dog's age). They never asked us how much we paid for the dog, nor did they have us pay any taxes.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
We purchased a dog in Washington state last year and paid PST and GST to bring him across the border. Like bringing anything back if you are over your personal exemption it probably depends upon the value of the dog and the border guard. In our case, we were just in the US for 5 hours to pick him up and we paid $1000 for him so was fully expecting to be charged taxes.

You need to have proof of rabies shot to bring it across. If the dog is too young to have it's rabies shot yet as ours was at 8 weeks we had to provide a clean bill of health from a vet that had been done within 72 hours of importation.
Health Requirments are posted here http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter ... 1876307796
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
There was an episode of Border Security Canada where this girl got this random guy to try to bring a dog across the border by faking how much it was worth. She got caught and the dog was not allowed across the border until she paid the taxes, I believe.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)