Buying from eBay Seller but shipped in UPS? Anyone

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2007 1:16 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 10, 2002
435 posts
29 upvotes
The allowable pre-tax import limit (if that's the correct term, but you get the idea) for Americans is something like $200 USD. It's just what their government sets their limit to.

I used to work for a company that sold a lot of stuff to the USA over the internet, and I know I've seen the information on an American government website before. I'll try Googling for an actual source.

Edit: US Customs and Border Protection has a page about Internet purchases:
International Postal Service: Merchandise shipped through the international postal service is forwarded upon its arrival in the United States to one of U.S. Customs and Border Protection International Mail Branches for clearance. If the item is less than $2,000 in value and is not subject to a quota or is not a restricted or prohibited item, a CBP official will usually prepare the paperwork for importing it, assess the proper duty, and release it for delivery. This procedure is generally referred to as a mail entry.

Packages whose declared value is under $200 ($100 if being sent as a gift to someone other than the purchaser) will generally be cleared without any additional paperwork prepared by CBP. However, CBP always reserves the right to require a formal entry for any importation and generally exercises this option if there is something unusual about the importation, or if important documents such as an invoice or bill of sale do not accompany the item.

If any duty is owed, CBP will charge a processing fee for clearing your package. Duty and the processing fee are usually paid at your local post office, where your package is forwarded.
Lucky bastards. Though, I'm assuming folks in the USA don't buy stuff from outside the USA too often.
Dec 31, 1969
tigger03 wrote: stay FAR AWAY from UPS. I've been buying (and selling) stuff on ebay for the past 5 years ... UPS charges ridiculous "fees" .... stick with USPS, who I've never had a problem with!
That is just bad information. There are no fees depending on what level of service you get, why don't you look into it before making yourself look like a fool...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
bug wrote: There should be no brokerage fees on items with a claimed value of $20 Canadian or less. Google "UPS Brokerage Fees" to see their brokerage rates.
You're very right! I just got my package last night, no brokerage, just single items shipped :)

thanks
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
woof wrote: The charges are based strictly on what the sender puts on the customs form. For under C$ 20.00 there are no duties or taxes or brokerage charges. This is true for all carriers including UPS. If the item was marked as worth US$12.00 on the customs form you will have no problem with UPS.
Yeah, it's weird, I bougt the item for $13.20 but he marked $20 but did stated GIFT :)
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
customs is usually a hit or miss ... I've been dinged before, but I recently bought a digital camera for Xmas was was charged $0 in duties, and $0 in brokerage as it was shipped via USPS :twisted:
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
There is no fees for any item under $20 CDN. Some people might be confusing the fact the declare form from the USA may have some amount under $20 USD, but since that amount is in USD, the conversion price is what matters. A few years ago, I received an item marked $18 USD, but at that time, it converted to > $20 CDN, so I ended up getting dinged for > $20 CDN in brokerage fees etc. Definitely wise to avoid them like the plague.

I too had the misfornate incident of requesting USPS on an item once. I discussed with the seller if he could use USPS instead of UPS before bidding. He agreed and said that it will be $30 instead of $25 with UPS. So when I paid, I paid the $30 and wrote in the comments "paying for USPS shipping instead of UPS", and sent him a reminder email to ship USPS. So what does the a**hole do? He ships UPS Standard of course. When it arrived across the border, it had something like $75 CDN in fees (for a $60 item I believe). The first delivery attempt I had a parent outright refuse it. The second and third attempts they left notification stickers. In the third, there was a note saying I have 7 days to pick it up. At this point I told the seller he screwed up and that unless he sends me $75 for the fees, he can expect the package to bounce back. 7 days pass and the following Monday, I get a delivery attempt in the evening hours 5-9pm with a notification sticker. Two more attempts that week. Then I get a phone call from UPS asking me if I want the package. I told them to send it back as I don't agree to the fees. The following day the parcel is sitting on my door step and on the fees statement the word "waved" written across it.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
TorontoEh wrote: Yeah, it's weird, I bougt the item for $13.20 but he marked $20 but did stated GIFT :)
The no-duty value for gifts is $60 instead of $20. Also, if it is a gift and above $60, they are suppose to only tax or add duty on for the price - $60. They tend to forget this, and you have to send in the paper work to get the amount adjusted.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
TorontoEh wrote: So you think in my situation, if the item costs $10 and shipped for $12, that be express i guess?

I'm probably gonna say NO if they ask for brokerage since the item only is $10.....

My mistake will always look for USPS....
Express is something different. It's usually 2-3 delivery service that is offered, but the price is 6x-10x more. So, if your standard rate is $10 delivery, it might be $60-$100 with express. With express, there are no 'brokerage fees' but they still ding you with taxes and a slight handling fee. The express fees are more in line with what you would expect to pay if the package was shipped with any delivery method by USPS.
Banned
Dec 15, 2005
2286 posts
1 upvote
selpats wrote: That is just bad information. There are no fees depending on what level of service you get, why don't you look into it before making yourself look like a fool...
Dude... its true... at least here in Toronto...

ANY item I've received via UPS was over $20... and the customer/duty was always either half...or almost equivalent to the price I bought the item for...

However... USPS... Marked as and gift I've NEVER had to pay... even on $300 pair of sunglasses.. a $400 cell phone... etc....

USPS is the way to receive from the US...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
Dude... its true... at least here in Toronto...

ANY item I've received via UPS was over $20... and the customer/duty was always either half...or almost equivalent to the price I bought the item for...

However... USPS... Marked as and gift I've NEVER had to pay... even on $300 pair of sunglasses.. a $400 cell phone... etc....
YnD wrote:
Yep! I've bought many times on eBay and even expensive items...never a problem..... knock on wood :)
Mar 10, 2002
435 posts
29 upvotes
selpats wrote: That is just bad information. There are no fees depending on what level of service you get, why don't you look into it before making yourself look like a fool...
Are you sure? I've been charged pretty insane brokerage on a Dreamcast game I bought from the USA. It was the first and last time I've received (believe me, it felt like I was receiving in more ways that one) anything sent outside of Canada by UPS Standard.

If you get something sent to you by UPS Standard, you're subject to some pretty hefty brokerage fees, based on the value of the package. There's entire fee chart on their website. I guess you could opt to broker the package yourself, but it's probably too much of a hassle for a sweater or any other small purchase.

The service levels above Standard have their brokerage fees included, but the cost is so much higher that it kills any potential deals that may have been had.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3499 posts
1688 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm in the middle of bidding on something worth nearly $200 US. The seller's method of shipping is UPS Standard. I'm afraid of being charged brokerage fees. That's why I'm going to ask the seller to change it.

What are the other solutions rather than UPS Standard?

How about DHL, Fedex or USPS? Which is the best?
Oct 1, 2006
530 posts
80 upvotes
Fedex and UPS have atrocious charges when it comes to custom fees.
Seems like DHL brokerage can be free if you set up a prepayment account.
From DHL.ca :
"
DHL Customs Brokerage Service5/10/2007

Effective February 6, 2006, DHL Canada will implement a disbursement charge for all air shipments requiring customs brokerage services. The fee applies when funds for duties and taxes are not provided in advance to DHL by the customer. The disbursement fee will be 2.5% of the value of the funds provided, or a minimum charge of $7.00. A charge will also be applied for additional line classification and entry. A $4.00 charge will be applied to the 6th and any subsequent lines. The disbursement fee covers part of our administrative and financing costs relating to the amounts we pay to customs on your behalf.

DHL Customers can take advantage of the following alternatives to avoid paying the disbursement charge:

1) Set up a prepayment account with DHL that allows us to debit your account on a weekly basis to cover regular duties and taxes payments to Canada Customs, or;

2) Set up an Electronic Funds Transfer with DHL to automatically cover duties and taxes payments.

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, or would like more information, please call 1-800 CALL DHL (1-800-225-5345).
"

USPS to Canada post its 5$+taxes. Thats it. Next time don't bid before you are sure the seller will ship it to you with USPS.
Mar 10, 2002
435 posts
29 upvotes
I think the best route is to go with the USPS. Stuff sent through the USPS is delivered here by Canada Post, and the brokerage charge is $5 plus taxes.

According to the UPS Standard chart, an item valued at $100.01 to $200 CAD is a fee of $29 CAD plus taxes. An item valued at $200.01 to $350 CAD is a fee of $38.92 plus taxes. I'd assume FedEx, DHL, or any other courier company will charge a similar amount, but you may want to check their websites.

That said, I've actually seen a few American companies charge Canadian taxes so that you avoid brokerage charges completely. I bought a few shirts from Threadless recently, and they charge (I think) PST. As a result, there are no additional fees at the door. They use DHL, but I think charging Canadian taxes outside of Canada is something you specifically have to register for. I'm completely guessing about that, though.

If you have no choice but UPS, I guess your options are to
a) upgrade from Standard, which probably will cost you a ton
b) tell UPS you'll fill out the customs paperwork yourself, which I'm not entirely sure how to do, but I'm under the impression it takes a lot of time. Googling will probably find you what you need to know.
c) Get the seller to mark the package's value as under $20 CAD so you avoid the taxes altogether. However, since whatever you're bidding on is worth a fair amount of money, if it gets lost or damaged in transit, you'll only be covered for that $20.

Honestly, if I see UPS Standard as the only reasonable shipping option, I just stay away. It sucks, but the UPS brokerage charges are just that brutal.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
257 upvotes
Burnaby
Kasakato wrote: Bought a $50 GPS on ebay, had the seller claim its worth $15 on the enclosed invoice. No charge when it arrived today!
Just because you weren't charged today, doesn't mean you won't get charge some time down the future where they just send you a letter stating that you owe them money. It's happened many times, including myself.

I once paid for a $20 video card off eBay and it was shipped UPS (first time for me, never again as I learned from my mistake), and I was charged $30 in brokerage fees.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
gheart008 wrote: Just because you weren't charged today, doesn't mean you won't get charge some time down the future where they just send you a letter stating that you owe them money. It's happened many times, including myself.

I once paid for a $20 video card off eBay and it was shipped UPS (first time for me, never again as I learned from my mistake), and I was charged $30 in brokerage fees.
The declared value, and the value UPS has on file is $15. There are no brokerage charges or duties or taxes applicable to such an item.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
Shar wrote: I think the best route is to go with the USPS. Stuff sent through the USPS is delivered here by Canada Post, and the brokerage charge is $5 plus taxes.

According to the UPS Standard chart, an item valued at $100.01 to $200 CAD is a fee of $29 CAD plus taxes. An item valued at $200.01 to $350 CAD is a fee of $38.92 plus taxes. I'd assume FedEx, DHL, or any other courier company will charge a similar amount, but you may want to check their websites.

That said, I've actually seen a few American companies charge Canadian taxes so that you avoid brokerage charges completely. I bought a few shirts from Threadless recently, and they charge (I think) PST. As a result, there are no additional fees at the door. They use DHL, but I think charging Canadian taxes outside of Canada is something you specifically have to register for. I'm completely guessing about that, though.

If you have no choice but UPS, I guess your options are to
a) upgrade from Standard, which probably will cost you a ton
b) tell UPS you'll fill out the customs paperwork yourself, which I'm not entirely sure how to do, but I'm under the impression it takes a lot of time. Googling will probably find you what you need to know.
c) Get the seller to mark the package's value as under $20 CAD so you avoid the taxes altogether. However, since whatever you're bidding on is worth a fair amount of money, if it gets lost or damaged in transit, you'll only be covered for that $20.

Honestly, if I see UPS Standard as the only reasonable shipping option, I just stay away. It sucks, but the UPS brokerage charges are just that brutal.
To clear the item yourself, you must be at the port of entry. Unless you happen to live where its coming into Canada, its probably cheaper to let UPS do it. You could always find another company to do it for you. (Never done so myself)
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: Hi all, i recently bought an item from ebay and the seller somehow shipped it through UPS instead of USPS but the good thing is the items isn't marked or worth more than $12US.

So my Q is, after paying s/h of $10, anychance that the UPS will charge me duties? even on $12?

Can anyone share their experiences with sellers who shipped with UPS in canada?
i avoid every single ebay listing that ships solely via UPS. the brokerage charges are just beyond RIDICULOUS.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
Here's my UPS Horror story. A few years ago I bought something from ebay valued around US $120.00 (including shipping). At that time the exchange rate cost me 40%, so the value was around CDN$ 168. They shipped it via UPS and I was dinged CDN$ 60.00! So the final value of the item was around CDN $230. It would have been cheaper if I bought that item in Canada!
I've learned my lession and now always skip ebay sellers that only use UPS. If you buy anything from the US over $20 be sure to specify USPS.
The only exception for using UPS or FEDEX is for companies that have a agreement with Canada customs that includes GST and PST. ie. Apple Inc.
Have a nice day!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)