Art and Photography

buying entire photo gear after stolen, should i buy it from AB rather than ON?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2019 2:50 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
147 posts
31 upvotes
mississauga

buying entire photo gear after stolen, should i buy it from AB rather than ON?

After the car break in that all my camera bags with D750 and all lenses have gone, now I am planning to buy new whole set of camera nikon z6 and lenses after the insurance covered part of it.
Before, I normally buy camera accessories from Bhphoto, normally it is cheaper, and no tax. But since it is a new camera and lenses with warranty , I love to buy it from canada with legit canadian warranty, and nikon canada will introduce Z club for canadian Z owner that i love to join.
But it is a big different of paying 8% tax difference from AB (thecamerastore) and On (henrys, adencacamera) of about 6-7000can$ batch of gear, with the same CAN warrranty and Z club membership.
What do you think?
4 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1083 posts
361 upvotes
Definitely! I live in Qc and most camera stores here don't offer return or exchange once you buy it so it's all the same buying at online Canadian stores or local. At the end, you have to deal with the manufacturers anyway. I'm saving 10% difference.
The only real advantage is you'll never get a DOA gear if you shop local but that is the 1 thing all stores will accept return or exchange so if you're very unlucky, it's a bit of a hassle to ship back and wait for another camera but you'll save $560 on the $7k.

I have also purchased 1 or 2 lenses at thecamerastore and I have nothing to complaint about them. Good store
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10733 posts
4289 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Considering that Nikon Canada's repair depot is located in Mississauga and you are in Mississauga, you don't really need any dealer support when you can go directly to Nikon!

Save 10% and enjoy.
Sep 27, 2003
9533 posts
2269 upvotes
Newmarket
OP - unless you're shipping the goods to AB, I'm not sure how you'll save the 8%? The Camera Store will charge HST if they're shipping to Ontario.
RFD Forums Moderator
Jan 30, 2006
390 posts
89 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…
Try to find some dealer on Kijiji with store , I've talked to one of them, pay cash no tax , I am pulling my trigger on it .