Shopping Discussion

Buying a fridge: is there any benefit to waiting until boxing day?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2018 2:54 am
[OP]
Jan 25, 2007
238 posts
39 upvotes

Buying a fridge: is there any benefit to waiting until boxing day?

I need to buy a new fridge right away. Will a Boxing Day sale be significantly cheaper than the existing sales? If the savings is only a couple hundred, I may not even wait.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11322 posts
1218 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If you see a deal now, fridge or anything else, I would say, "Buy it." Boxing Day isn't what it used to be, which was one of the few times of the year where there were hot deals. Nowadays, the hot deals are spread throughout the year.

Coincidently, I'm in the market for a fridge, as well :D .
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8297 posts
5738 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Partial copy of a post that I did recently for another RFDer
To everything there is a season...

New Appliance models are unveiled at HUGE events in January
Like the CES Showcase in Las Vegas
These new models hit the showroom floors in the Spring *
Right around the Spring Home Shows (March, April, May)
May is also MAYtag month
When Maytag offers their best deals of the year

* The exception is Refrigerators, which although unveiled at the International Showcases, they don’t actually hit the stores until early Summer... May & June.

Autumn is also a good time for Appliances
Again the Fall Home Show Circuit
And cooler weather finding folks concentrating on their homes decor
And getting ready for Christmas / Holiday & Winter Entertaining

Cdn Boxing Day & on into January also brings great prices
Especially as stores want to clear out “last years” models
To make way for the new arrivals come Spring
So ya... you should do better come Boxing Day than now before Christmas
When people are looking to upgrade at the last minute because they have to for their Holiday Entertaining
If you can hang on a week or a month, you should do better in the long run
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2272 posts
847 upvotes
Edmonton
xraycat wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 1:01 am
I need to buy a new fridge right away. Will a Boxing Day sale be significantly cheaper than the existing sales? If the savings is only a couple hundred, I may not even wait.
The Boxing Day sale flyers should be out soon. You should wait to see them. Avoid the Bay. I have a nightmare delivery issue with my fridge and their "customer service" (based in Moncton) is useless in resolving issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3480 posts
1471 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 2:55 am
So ya... you should do better come Boxing Day than now before Christmas
When people are looking to upgrade at the last minute because they have to for their Holiday Entertaining
If you can hang on a week or a month, you should do better in the long run
50/50 chance.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3963 posts
1458 upvotes
Mississauga
A fridge is one of those appliances that has a real impact on day-to-day life when it quits. Unless you’re fine living out of coolers, I’d think you’d want to find a replacement pretty quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8297 posts
5738 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TomLafinsky wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 3:16 pm
Do what I did, buy two fridges. One in the kitchen and one for the basement. If one dies you don't give a damn as you have the other one. And it will also allows you to buy some food in greater quantity when on sale or simply buy bigger items without occupying so much space in a single fridge, like a whole watermelon.

My wife was against my idea of getting two fridges and now that she has them she can't live without... women :O
Agreed
Lol, aka “the beer fridge” as my Dad used to call it

Definitely has its advantages
Especially during certain times of year
Like the Christmas Holidays and Summer Entertaining
Nov 18, 2012
158 posts
96 upvotes
Oshawa
xraycat wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 1:01 am
Buy the fridge now. Go to a store like Home Depot or Lowes that does a 10 percent meet and beat. most stores have a 30 day or more price protection too.
Dec 25, 2005
433 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Two years ago i was shopping for new appliances around this time. There were no significant boxing day sales on appliances. The only boxing day sale was at Leons or the brick on a washer dryer set, but it was for a not that well known brand and you would of had to line up early in the morning for it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13985 posts
2468 upvotes
Toronto
Whatever happened to the words "Buy today! If the price drops Boxing day, we will match it and refund you the difference..."
I think the Brick used to offer that before Leon's bought them...
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1893 posts
436 upvotes
Woodbridge
Leave your food in the balcony and wait. Maybe there will be some savings.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1428 posts
342 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
sandalwood wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 7:45 pm
Buy the fridge now. Go to a store like Home Depot or Lowes that does a 10 percent meet and beat. most stores have a 30 day or more price protection too.
I was going to post the same thing. Buying a major appliance is easy. Buy it whenever you want / need it. You have the next 30 (or sometimes more) days to find the best deal.

My last fridge purchase was through Goemans. Getting a few bucks back when I found a better deal a few weeks later was very easy. There was no hassle, or extensive paerwork, or long delays. Just go in, with verifiable evidence of the better price, and get the difference (or sometimes more) refunded.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10985 posts
1548 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 2:37 am
If you see a deal now, fridge or anything else, I would say, "Buy it." Boxing Day isn't what it used to be, which was one of the few times of the year where there were hot deals. Nowadays, the hot deals are spread throughout the year.

Coincidently, I'm in the market for a fridge, as well :D .
Me too! I smell a potential group buy!
[OP]
Jan 25, 2007
238 posts
39 upvotes
Because of the space we have, we were limited to a narrower counter-depth fridge. Looking at nearly a dozen stores, they all had the same 2 or 3 models, and they were the same price everywhere.

Because Leon's could do next-day delivery and has 60-day price guarantee we bought it there. Very happy.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11322 posts
1218 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yeah, I think I will end up getting a counter-depth one, as well.

Surprisingly, the Samsung we got in 2014 is still working fine. It was one of the specific models mentioned in CBC's Marketplace. But we don't have the waterline hooked up, so maybe that's why.