• Dec 20th, 2006 12:59 am
Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2004
865 posts
2646 upvotes

Deleted

Deleted
Last edited by adamtheman on Feb 25th, 2024 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
I bought a gazebo for my hot tub in the U.S and brought it across in a rental truck. I had to pay only pst/gst on the value,,,, it was duty free,,,,, but if the furniture is from china,,, you may have additional charges,,,,,, check with customs,, they can tell you
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
Do some more shopping, you might be able to find something made in Canada for pretty much the same price the chinese stuff + duties... (and help the canadian economy).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure where you're getting the 15% + GST/PST? Generally any additional duty/tax owing is calculated using 'Most Favorable Nation' (MFN) duty rate which is somewhere around 6.1%.

It's been a long time since I processed an importation of furniture so it's *possible* additional duties/excise tax have come into play specifically for furniture, but it's highly doubtful.

So you'd be looking at GST+PST+MFN (approx 6.1%, it tends to change). There is always the chance though the officer will only process you for GST and PST. If this happens, smile, say thank you and keep walking. :)

And no, if you're importing this as a personal importation (i.e NOT as a company, well even if you were doing it as a company you may not need to use a broker depending on the situation) and you are driving it across the border yourself, you will NOT need to use any brokerage company, you will be referred directly into the Canada Border Services Agency office where a Border Services Officer will process you.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)