Shopping Discussion

Buying gas in the USA, was given a hard time about it at the border....

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2012 11:02 am
Tags:
None
Jan 15, 2010
92 posts
3 upvotes

Buying gas in the USA, was given a hard time about it at the border....

I live in Winnipeg and went down to North Dakota over a nightly stay over the weekend. When they asked about filling up in gas, I admitted to it since it involved a 5 hour drive back to Winnipeg. The woman at the border got all pissy about it but seriously, if I have to fill up, I have to fill up.

Did I miss a rule or something?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2010 posts
417 upvotes
Markham
Seriously? First time I've heard of that... have never ever been asked re: gas and I usually go to US 4-5 times a year...
Jay Rana | 🌱 the vegan realtor
Broker, CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
You are only allowed to bring back with you what the vehicle can hold in its fuel tank (not incl. aftermarket tanks in the bed of a pickup) otherwise they are subject to taxes and duties. If you are under 24hrs there is no personal exemption whatsoever but most people are normally waived through if they're around $75 or less.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
ride365 wrote: You are only allowed to bring back with you what the vehicle can hold in its fuel tank (not incl. aftermarket tanks in the bed of a pickup) otherwise they are subject to taxes and duties. If you are under 24hrs there is no personal exemption whatsoever but most people are normally waived through if they're around $75 or less.
The OP never said he filled up jerry cans so you shouldn't make that assumption. It's very unusual for the border agent to pick apart people for filling up gas regardless. The worst that should happen is they make you pay tax, if not them waiving you through.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Seriously. Next are they going to ask you what food you have eaten while in the US?

Of course if you filled up extra gas using the red cans then that's another matter ...
There's a sucker born every minute.
Jan 12, 2010
269 posts
26 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ive been given a hard time because i had candy in my bag and i didn't declare it..
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11979 posts
3170 upvotes
Edmonton
number8888 wrote: Seriously. Next are they going to ask you what food you have eaten while in the US?

Of course if you filled up extra gas using the red cans then that's another matter ...

If they do give you a hard time about eating, ask them if they would like you to take a shat on the US side of the border before crossing.

Seriously, it sounds like the border agent was just in a pissy mood, just ignore her and go on with your day.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
Without details of the conversation, it is hard to know what exactly happened; however, border agents do engage you in conversation while they are trying to sum you up and determine whether to let you pass or engage in further inspection. I suspect that is all it was unless you were asked specifically about jerry cans.
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
ilove wrote: The OP never said he filled up jerry cans so you shouldn't make that assumption. It's very unusual for the border agent to pick apart people for filling up gas regardless. The worst that should happen is they make you pay tax, if not them waiving you through.
Where did I say the OP brought back Jerry cans? I was simply providing the full picture so they're wouldn't be any confusion for other people. Regardless of personal interpretations of the rules and feeling like you shouldn't have to pay for whatever reason, you are still required to declare everything that was purchased abroad and is being brought back into Canada.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
ride365 wrote: Where did I say the OP brought back Jerry cans? I was simply providing the full picture so they're wouldn't be any confusion for other people. Regardless of personal interpretations of the rules and feeling like you shouldn't have to pay for whatever reason, you are still required to declare everything that was purchased abroad and is being brought back into Canada.
You don't have to declare gas in your own tank, don't be ridiculous.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
I keep ALL receipts, even for gas and food, and give it to the agent in a fist full of receipts and make sure I say we bought children's clothing in a hope that they will forgo the hassle and wave us through. :D
One agent was grumbling under her breath as they had to use a calculator in the office to factor out all the kids clothes from our mixed receipts with adult clothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1296 posts
181 upvotes
Beamsville
Never had an issue here, I bring back two 5 gallon jerry cans weekly. The only comment that's ever been made was to add the amount of gas in cans to the amount declared.
Jan 15, 2010
92 posts
3 upvotes
No jerry cans. Just a small 4 cylinder Mazda Protege that can only hold $60 of Canadian gas at a refill.

Basically the conversation was

-Her asking what I was doing in the states
-Me admitting to quick shopping in Fargo overnight
-Me declaring what I bought
-Her looking at my gas gauge and then reeming me out for a full gas tank and not telling her.
-Her asking for a gas receipt
-Me admitting to no gas receipt but saying what I remember paying at the gas station minutes before the border
-Her grumbling about it to me

Maybe I should have admitted the gas fillup, but just always assumed it was not necessary. I was shocked at the 2 minute tirade she went on.
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
brunes wrote: You don't have to declare gas in your own tank, don't be ridiculous.
You're allowed to fill up your vehicle tax and duty free but to make a proper declaration you still need to declare that you filled up your car. Jerry cans do not count as filling up your vehicle.

When you return to Canada (from bsf5056)

When you return to Canada, you have to declare all of the goods you acquired while outside Canada, such as purchases, gifts, prizes or awards that you are bringing with you or are having shipped to you. Include goods that are still in your possession that you bought at a Canadian or foreign duty-free shop. As well, make sure you declare any repairs or alterations you made to your vehicle, vessel or aircraft while you were out of the country.

If you aren't sure if an article is admissible or should be declared, always declare it first and then ask the border services officer. Remember that officers are there to help you and will work out your personal exemption and any duty and taxes you owe in the way that benefits you most.

cutchemist42 wrote: No jerry cans. Just a small 4 cylinder Mazda Protege that can only hold $60 of Canadian gas at a refill.

Basically the conversation was

-Her asking what I was doing in the states
-Me admitting to quick shopping in Fargo overnight
-Me declaring what I bought
-Her looking at my gas gauge and then reeming me out for a full gas tank and not telling her.
-Her asking for a gas receipt
-Me admitting to no gas receipt but saying what I remember paying at the gas station minutes before the border
-Her grumbling about it to me

Maybe I should have admitted the gas fillup, but just always assumed it was not necessary. I was shocked at the 2 minute tirade she went on.
The BSA might just have been having a bad day, was bored or annoyed about other people making false declarations, who knows. As long as you are truthful and make a complete declaration and don't import any restricted items you have no reason to be worried (even if you're selected for a secondary inspection). Its those that try to skirt the system that should be concerned and create problems for themselves down the road.
Jan 15, 2010
92 posts
3 upvotes
Ok good, I feel better now that I didn't overlook something.

Does the gas allowance ever change if underneath 24 hours? Or is gas always gas?
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
Canadian residents returning to Canada by air who purchase, receive or acquire any goods while outside Canada MUST declare all goods, including those within their personal exemption. Found an article discussing refueling the vehicles tank:

It’s the travellers’ responsibility to declare all items that they purchased or received, that’s our first point,” said Canada Border Services Agency spokeswoman Sue Oswald.

That includes the liquid you’ve put in your fuel tank.

“If it’s in the vehicle being consumed by the vehicle ... we just expect a declaration” but no payment of tax, Oswald said.

That’s because the purchased good is being used or consumed.

“It’s already in the vehicle and it’s already being consumed in the vehicle at the time” of declaration, she said.

This is a different situation compared to buying gasoline and filling external canisters, such as for your snowmobile, lawn mower or boat.

The exemption amounts are as follows (Note there is NO EXEMPTION for under 24hrs)

After each absence of 24 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$200 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead, you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

After each absence of 48 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$800 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called "Alcoholic beverages" and "Tobacco products" for more details.

After each absence of 7 days or more

You can claim up to CAN$800 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called "Alcoholic beverages" and "Tobacco products" for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter but not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
ride365 wrote: You're allowed to fill up your vehicle tax and duty free but to make a proper declaration you still need to declare that you filled up your car.
Give me a freaking break. I cross the border about 20-30 times / year every year since 2005, and I personally know people who live on the border who cross 2 or 3 times / week. I never once declared gas in my tank, and never once been asked. No one does. No one gives a crap about this, do you honestly think the CBSA cares about people buying 20L of gas? Do you think that they think ANYONE is NOT buying gas? They are not idiots, the default assumption is EVERYONE buys gas. They have bigger things to worry about.

OP caught the agent having some kind of a bad day and making a giant stink about nothing. If the agent had made much more of a deal about it, and I was the OP, I would ask for her supervisor, because the whole diatribe to me is highly abnormal and sounds like unjust harassment
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
brunes wrote: Give me a freaking break. I cross the border about 20-30 times / year every year since 2005, and I personally know people who live on the border who cross 2 or 3 times / week. I never once declared gas in my tank, and never once been asked. No one does. No one gives a crap about this, do you honestly think the CBSA cares about people buying 20L of gas? Do you think that they think ANYONE is NOT buying gas? They are not idiots, the default assumption is EVERYONE buys gas. They have bigger things to worry about.
I've never been asked about gas either.

Why should we pay duties? I bet 90% of all the gas sold in the US comes from Canada. Tax is another issue.

Maybe we should not fill our tanks and ask the border agent to help us push the car over the border so we can get gas on the Canadian side.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
I think the issue here is that you didn't have a receipt (like others have already indicated), not that you put gas in your car.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
I think you're getting very worked up over nothing. The OP asked a question and I was simply trying to relay ACCURATE information without assuming or interpreting the rules how I feel they should be read.

It doesn't matter how many times you cross the border every year; the rules are rules. Whether or not they are enforced or if you choose to follow them is irrelevent, the rules are still in place and you should follow them. Even though most people do fill up before crossing back over, you are making a sweeping generalization by saying that not a single person crossed without filling up. Just because in your mind the CBSA agents assume something is true likely isn't even close to being accurate most of the time. Keep making assumptions and see how far that gets you. You know the old saying ***** -ume....
brunes wrote: Give me a freaking break. I cross the border about 20-30 times / year every year since 2005, and I personally know people who live on the border who cross 2 or 3 times / week. I never once declared gas in my tank, and never once been asked. No one does. No one gives a crap about this, do you honestly think the CBSA cares about people buying 20L of gas? Do you think that they think ANYONE is NOT buying gas? They are not idiots, the default assumption is EVERYONE buys gas. They have bigger things to worry about.

OP caught the agent having some kind of a bad day and making a giant stink about nothing. If the agent had made much more of a deal about it, and I was the OP, I would ask for her supervisor, because the whole diatribe to me is highly abnormal and sounds like unjust harassment

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)