None
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1088 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 9:03 pm
I don't see why it would fail or why you would be unable to return the PC.
Do the install the OS too?
yep but you gotta buy it from them. they also run stress tests overnight to make sure the computer is fully working. they leave screenshots of the test results on the pc.
Aug 21, 2012
338 posts
49 upvotes
Scarborough
you never want to spend more than $200 on a prebuilt. its like thinkin about puttin your hand in a meat grinder, you just dont.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2795 posts
1550 upvotes
Montreal
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 9:49 pm
Can you use more parts from your old computer?
Funny as I am using that "old computer" right now to go on the redflagdeals forums and that I will be taking out the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ video card and the 600W PSU to put in the new HP Pavilion system.
thilly wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:21 pm
you never want to spend more than $200 on a prebuilt. its like thinkin about puttin your hand in a meat grinder, you just dont.
Not sure I understand what you mean here. The Intel Core i5-3450 CPU alone costs $200. And someone said it's budget line PC. If it really is, then, it is top end budget line :lol:
Aug 21, 2012
338 posts
49 upvotes
Scarborough
the quality of the rest of the hp is crappy compared to what you can buy on your own. so one person said its borderline alright, and the rest of the thread says otherwise. you're gonna just take advice from that one person? you even said it yourself "The motherboard on this HP Pavilion is absolute crap."
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:30 pm
Funny as I am using that "old computer" right now to go on the redflagdeals forums and that I will be taking out the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ video card and the 600W PSU to put in the new HP Pavilion system.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. The Intel Core i5-3450 CPU alone costs $200. And someone said it's budget line PC. If it really is, then, it is top end budget line :lol:
the CPU isn't low end but most of the parts will be. you saw the MB, you see the cheap psu and sorry your own 9800 isn't that great of a card anymore to upgrade a 600$ system with. buy the thing if you wish but you ask us for advice then fight us every which-way you can to go against it.

Your better off having a system built with parts you chose or build it yourself especially if your can already replace a psu and video card. It isn't as easy but you just need some confidence more than anything. Otherwise i would look for a cheaper amd system for under 350$ if that and do the upgrade you want to do. An Acer or any equivalent will be just as good once you put your own stuff into it.

Edit:
i just thought also that your video card may not even have room to fit in that machine.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2795 posts
1550 upvotes
Montreal
thilly wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:37 pm
the quality of the rest of the hp is crappy... you even said it yourself "The motherboard on this HP Pavilion is absolute crap."
Agreed
Keas wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:41 pm
the CPU isn't low end but most of the parts will be. you saw the MB, you see the cheap psu and sorry your own 9800 isn't that great of a card anymore to upgrade a 600$ system with.
Agreed
Actually, it is a $690 system, on sale, until Valentine's day.
Keas wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:41 pm
your video card may not even have room to fit in that machine.
Thanks for bringing this up, oh my, oh my.
I have to take measurement. :facepalm: :facepalm:
So many things can go wrong with my initial plan.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
i had to go buy a new case when my 6870 barely fit into my Antec Sonata 2 case and although it did fit i had to remove a fan i had installed to make it so which turned the case into a heating machine. I'm sure that case is not meant to handle anymore heat than it is already set up for with what comes with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2795 posts
1550 upvotes
Montreal
Keas wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:56 pm
I'm sure that case is not meant to handle anymore heat than it is already set up for with what comes with it.
Yes, I hear what you are saying, xalex0 also thought the same :arrowd:
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 6:29 pm
The case hasn't been designed to deal with the increased heat production, so it's your call.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2795 posts
1550 upvotes
Montreal
I need a new PC for everyday purpose (multimedia and stuff) and to play starcraft2 as my current (5-year old) computer does not do so well with newer games and I believe starcraft2 is very processor-intensive, not that much GPU intensive.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
not sure about whether it is CPU hungry or not but your video card is old and in need of upgrading... we are having a discussion on someone's else thread about upgrading video card and someone put a link to a site that lists how older and newer cards compare to each other and yours isn't on the list so it is past time to upgrade it. the game even if CPU intensive still needs the love of a good video card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2795 posts
1550 upvotes
Montreal
Keas wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 11:12 pm
not sure about whether it is CPU hungry or not but your video card is old and in need of upgrading... we are having a discussion on someone's else thread about upgrading video card and someone put a link to a site that lists how older and newer cards compare to each other and yours isn't on the list so it is past time to upgrade it. the game even if CPU intensive still needs the love of a good video card.
Yeah yeah yeah, I hear what you are saying but I don't want to think about or spend a dime on it. It is one of the most expensive components of the system. My GeForce 9800 GTX+ is ok, 5-year old but is doing barely ok.
And I only play Starcraft2, no other PC games.

[IMG]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6098/v ... dchart.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 10:52 pm
Thanks for bringing this up, oh my, oh my.
I have to take measurement. :facepalm: :facepalm:
I wouldn't worry. The image looks like GPU uses a standard bracket, and the 16x pci-e slot lies below the RAM slots, so it will fit lengthwise (although you'll have to install RAM first).
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 11:04 pm
I need a new PC for everyday purpose (multimedia and stuff) and to play starcraft2 as my current (5-year old) computer does not do so well with newer games and I believe starcraft2 is very processor-intensive, not that much GPU intensive.
What prevents you from upgrading the cpu+motherboard+RAM? You can get quite a system with $690.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2818 posts
1009 upvotes
Montreal
What's wrong with you OP? Even considering an HP desktop is insanity if you want to game.

Do this and stop wasting time :

Pick a bunch of compatible parts by doing a few minutes of research. Check user reviews on individual parts to not buy anything with known issues.

Do a price match on all the parts to get the cheapest price possible on the internet. (Make sure items are in stock when doing this)

Choose NCIX or Memory Express to build your system for about 50 bucks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2795 posts
1550 upvotes
Montreal
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 11:56 pm
I wouldn't worry. The image looks like GPU uses a standard bracket, and the 16x pci-e slot lies below the RAM slots, so it will fit lengthwise (although you'll have to install RAM first).
I have to check. The 9800 is a huge brick, taking up the space of 2 pci-e peripheral slots.
[IMG]http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/images ... ottom2.jpg[/IMG]
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 11:56 pm
What prevents you from upgrading the cpu+motherboard+RAM? You can get quite a system with $690.
I have no intention to shop online or to go to a local store buying the parts.
kenze wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 5:11 am
What's wrong with you OP? Even considering an HP desktop is insanity if you want to game.
Nothing wrong. Not a PC gamer, just Starcraft2 gaming. Everyday PC essentially.
kenze wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 5:11 am
Choose NCIX or Memory Express to build your system for about 50 bucks.
No local NCIX or Memory Express stores where I live :(
No such luck as you guys, I am in Qc
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2818 posts
1009 upvotes
Montreal
I'm in Quebec too, what are you talking about? They obviously ship it to your door like any other online store.

You will pay 10% less taxes by ordering from NCIX. also, you won't have to carry a heavy computer or drive to a store and pay gas.

I don't understand your logic.