Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
kenze wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 5:11 am
What's wrong with you OP?
Choose NCIX or Memory Express to build your system for about 50 bucks.
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 7:50 am
No local NCIX or Memory Express stores where I live :(
No such luck as you guys, I am in Qc
:arrowu: Oh, my understanding was that NCIX or Memory Express will build your system for you for about $50 if you purchase at a bricks-and-mortar location. :facepalm: :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote:
I have to check. The 9800 is a huge brick, taking up the space of 2 pci-e peripheral slots.
It seems like there's plenty of space. Take a look yourself: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/doc ... 359399.pdf
bgallagher wrote:
I have no intention to shop online or to go to a local store buying the parts.
How is buying HP different?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 11:56 pm
What prevents you from upgrading the cpu+motherboard+RAM? You can get quite a system with $690.
bgallagher wrote:
I have no intention to shop online or to go to a local store buying the parts.
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 9:45 am
How is buying HP different?
I was talking about buying a pc off-the-shelf vs. building an entire system yourself vs. replacing a few parts.
Holy crap, looks like my plan is heading straight towards a brick wall. :arrowd:
upgraders-off-shelf-desktops-share-your-stories-608435/
But I anticipated the PSU issue so my situation is a little different. :lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2870 posts
632 upvotes
LONDON
If Starcraft 2 is all you will playing, you don't even need discreet graphics to be honest, it is much more CPU intensive than GPU. I was able to get 60FPS on high with Intel HD3000, I am sure with Intel HD4000 you can bump it up to Ultra without much problems. As a comparison with the overclocked 2500K and HD6850 I was getting 150+FPS on extreme.

OP what you really need is a MB+CPU (maybe RAM too, but they are so cheap to buy) upgrade to your existing system, it's only going cost you around $350 (for i5-3570K and a decent MB) and it will a better way to spend your hard earned cash.

From reading the thread, it just doesn't make any sense to pay $600 just for a good CPU (the other parts are pretty worthless, crappy mobo, case, PSU, video card, budget ram at best). If you really want to spend $600 because it's burning a hole in your pocket, get a new mobo and cpu ($350), then spend your remaining $250 on a GPU (7870 LE, 7950 if you are lucky, or GTX660). It will be complete overkill for SC2 but it will still be better buy than that HP.

Ultimately we can only give you advices, and after 4 pages of pretty much the same advice, you still seem hell bent on buying that HP. You should just go ahead and buy that HP if it makes you happy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 10:10 am
I was talking about buying a pc off-the-shelf vs. building an entire system yourself vs. replacing a few parts.
I'm not sure I'm following you. What are your thoughts on keeping your old PC and just upgrading the CPU+mobo+RAM?
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 10:10 am
Holy crap, looks like my plan is heading straight towards a brick wall. :arrowd:
upgraders-off-shelf-desktops-share-your-stories-608435/
Come on, that thread is from 5 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
MikeMC12 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 11:35 am
If Starcraft 2 is all you will playing, you don't even need discreet graphics to be honest, it is much more CPU intensive than GPU. I was able to get 60FPS on high with Intel HD3000, I am sure with Intel HD4000 you can bump it up to Ultra without much problems. As a comparison with the overclocked 2500K and HD6850 I was getting 150+FPS on extreme.
Good that you mentioned it, I will try to run SC2 first without replacing the video card that comes with the HP computer.
MikeMC12 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 11:35 am
From reading the thread, it just doesn't make any sense to pay $600 just for a good CPU (the other parts are pretty worthless, crappy mobo, case, PSU, video card, budget ram at best).
I think $600 is a reasonable price although, like you said, pretty much all the parts are just crap except the CPU:
http://www.futureshop.ca/fr-CA/product/ ... u=10225558

[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
[td]Intel Core i5-3450:[/td]
[td]$200 [Now, here comes the crap :arrowd: :facepalm: ][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2TB HDD:[/td]
[td]$120 (at the most)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Windows 8 OS:[/td]
[td]$100 (wild guess, I assume it costs something for the license)(CRAP, no physical copy of the OS :( )[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]computer case and 300W PSU:[/td]
[td]$60 (maybe)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Joshua-H61-uATX motherboard:[/td]
[td]$50 (wild guess, no idea)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]8GB PC3-12800 RAM memory:[/td]
[td]$50 (just guessing)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Radeon HD 7450 graphics card:[/td]
[td]$40 (at the most)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Super Multi DVD+/-RW optical drive:[/td]
[td]$20 (just guessing)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Keyboard and mouse:[/td]
[td]$15 (at the most)[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

xalex0 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2013 12:02 pm
I'm not sure I'm following you. What are your thoughts on keeping your old PC and just upgrading the CPU+mobo+RAM?
I prefer not to touch the inside of a computer unless I really have to, like replacing a dead PSU, a few months ago, or upgrading the RAM memory because it becomes painfully slow to load applications.
Now that I think about it, you guys almost convince me to go for the upgrades.
I don't know if I should return this HP system.
Feb 12, 2013
412 posts
110 upvotes
Just to throw in my 2 cents OP, I once had the EXACT same thought of changing out the PSU + graphics card in a HP desktop. I had won the desktop/monitor combo in a contest so I didn't have much to lose. But the change out was way more frustrating then anything else. I can't say it will be the same for you, but the parts in the desktop tower were wedged in so tight with all the wires strapped together that I had to be insanely careful while exerting more force than needed. I should also mention that prior to this, I had built my own gaming computer from scratch. Building your own computer from scratch is much easier than trying to change out parts. I saw someone recommended getting a custom build by NCIX or ME for $50, time is money and if you don't want to risk it yourself, $50 is a cheap cost to professionals who can get it done within a day. Yes, the MIR can be a bit of a pain but you're so much happier with the end result.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6657 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
If you have $690.00 dollars to spend you can have custom system built at NCIX for that easy that run Starcraft II . Hell, I could do that with shipping and tax included. Avoid ME everything is always out of stock and they charge %3 on credit cards. NCIX PC assembly charge is $25 not $50. I always price match it down to $25 with the link below.

http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?mo ... MA_SERVICE
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
GUYSSS, I took out the 600W PSU and the 9800 GTX+ from my (old) current pc and plugged them into the HP Pavilion. GUESS WHAT?!?!?! When I powered on the HP system, it makes that annoying beep sound repeatedly!!!! What is wrong? My plan has failed!!!! :facepalm: :facepalm: It is not booting. I have connected everything correctly!!!! I plugged the pci-e power cord from my PSU to my 9800 GTX+ video card!!!!! SO it should be fine!!!! HELP!!!! What I did NEXT was I took out my 9800 GTX+ graphics card and put back the original Radeon HD 7450 video card and guess WHAT? It does boot fine with that graphics card while using my 600 W PSU. Does that mean the H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua) motherboard does not support my 9800 GTX+ video card?
Aug 14, 2010
123 posts
41 upvotes
What i would try in you situation is to download the lastest drivers for your video card, format, install fresh OS+ NVDIA driver and internet drivers (dont forget that...they can be hardish to find on those cheap oem boards).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
Arkeron wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 1:04 am
What i would try in you situation is to download the lastest drivers for your video card, format, install fresh OS+ NVDIA driver and internet drivers (dont forget that...they can be hardish to find on those cheap oem boards).
Tell me the reason why it won't boot when I installed my 9800 GTX+. I have Windows 8. Normally, when it boots correctly, I see the HP logo on the screen at the very start. With my 9800 GTX+ installed, no HP logo at start. The pc just beeps repeatedly :facepalm: :facepalm:
You want me to format the disk? I didn't touch anything since I got this HP system. So it is unaltered, I just set the settings that is required when first time running Windows 8. :facepalm: :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2607 posts
646 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote:GUYSSS, I took out the 600W PSU and the 9800 GTX+ from my (old) current pc and plugged them into the HP Pavilion. GUESS WHAT?!?!?! When I powered on the HP system, it makes that annoying beep sound repeatedly!...
Power supply may not be up to the task.
Especially if it is generic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
Warlock wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 1:15 am
Power supply may not be up to the task.
Especially if it is generic.
I've been using that power supply in combination with my 9800 GTX+ video card for over 2 years now, never had any problem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 1:20 am
What kind of beeps does it make?
The beeps are constant evenly spaced about 2 seconds long and 2 seconds apart.