Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
In Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Display adapters, it has the AMD Radeon HD 7450 listed there. Maybe, that's the issue. When I reboot with the 9800 GTX+, it won't correctly handle the display, hence it is not booting, maybe???????
Maybe, it's Windows 8's fault, if I had older OS installed, maybe it would have booted but in a broken display (16 colors).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 1:27 am
The beeps are constant evenly spaced about 2 seconds long and 2 seconds apart.
Does it give the same pattern if you try to boot it without any GPU card?
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 1:30 am
In Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Display adapters, it has the AMD Radeon HD 7450 listed there. Maybe, that's the issue. When I reboot with the 9800 GTX+, it won't correctly handle the display, hence it is not booting, maybe???????
Maybe, it's Windows 8's fault, if I had older OS installed, maybe it would have booted but in a broken display (16 colors).
If it doesn't pass the POST then Windows has nothing to do with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
Got it, it was the SecureBoot issue in the BIOS. So it now boots and I installed the latest NVidia driver. Now it is choppy, when I move the mouse around, it is not smooth. I tried disabling Catalyst Control Center application as I took out the original AMD video card and I tried disabling the other resource consuming programs like Norton antivirus. Still same problem.
I tried adding my old HDD from my old pc to this HP system and, well not good, not good, the computer won't boot, it hangs on the HP logo with the message "Preparing Automatic Repair" and it freezes there forever. :( :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21648 posts
2369 upvotes
use a driver cleaner and remove all the gpu software
restart pc
reinstall driver for gpu
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 6:29 pm
The case hasn't been designed to deal with the increased heat production, so it's your call.
I tried running Starcraft2, the graphics card reaches 69 degrees, is it bad? I'm afraid something is gonna blow up.
And why is the system not wanting to boot when I add a second HDD (from my older pc)? I don't think I have to set any jumper, right?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
What temps were you getting before?
Make sure that bios is not trying to boot from the second drive.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 10:39 am
I tried running Starcraft2, the graphics card reaches 69 degrees, is it bad? I'm afraid something is gonna blow up.
And why is the system not wanting to boot when I add a second HDD (from my older pc)? I don't think I have to set any jumper, right?
try finding an old review of your video card and see what temps they got when bench-marking to get an idea of what your card can handle.

as for the hard drive as mentioned above it sounds like it is seeing 2 OS's and is trying to figure out what to do especially since one doesn't have the drivers and stuff for your system.

I new this was going to be a headache for you : ( i should have told you to wipe your old drive before adding it but i didn't realize you were going to with this system.

you may also take the case cover off or side panel depends on how it opens and see what the temps run at with clear air flow. those older cards can produce a lot of heat though.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
So to recap, installing my 9800 GTX+ video card made the system not to boot because of SecureBoot enabled in the BIOS. That's because of Windows 8. Now, I want to use my old HDD from my old computer but adding this as a second drive made the system not to boot because:
[QUOTE]
Windows 8 UEFI won't boot together with, in presence of,
another drive in the system when that other drive contains an extended Partition.
[/QUOTE]
:facepalm: :facepalm:
So I decided to install Windows 7 instead and I had to wipe out clean the disk that came with the hp pavilion. :facepalm: :facepalm:

FROM THIS:
Disk 0 Partition 1: Windows RE tools OEM (Reserved)
Disk 0 Partition 2: SYSTEM system
Disk 0 Partition 3: MSR (Reserved)
Disk 0 Partition 4: Primary
Disk 0 Partition 5: (the recovery partition)
Disk 1 Partition........ (my old HDD from my old PC)

TO THIS:
Disk 0 Partition 1
Disk 1 Partition........ (my old HDD from my old PC)

SO IT MEANS I LOST ALL THE SOFTWARE THAT CAME WITH MY HP SYSTEM PURCHASE AND I ALSO LOST THE RECOVERY PARTITION AND WINDOWS 8.
That's throwing money down the toilet. :facepalm:
Next, I want to install Windows 7 on Disk 0 Partition 1 and I got this error:
[QUOTE]
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.
[/QUOTE]
So I had to convert it to MBR.

So now, I have a fresh installation of Windows 7 and I notice the USB ports in the front of the tower do not work :facepalm:
I go to Computer Management -> System Tools -> Device Manager -> Other devices and SURPRISE!!, I see yellow triangles with exclamation marks next to:
-Ethernet Controller
-Network Controller
-PCI Simple Communications Controller
-SM Bus Controller
-Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

That must mean I need some specific drivers from HP for the various devices in order to work, and I don't have them as I wiped clean the disk. So I don't have audiobeat, can't use the usb ports in the front, I can't connect to internet.
Where do I go to get these drivers for the hp pavilion? :facepalm: :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21648 posts
2369 upvotes
download windows 7 iso off the net
put onto usb stick
download hp drivers from hp site
put onto another usb stick

boot from windows 7 usb stick.. THIS time partition the drive to use only 40gb not the entire drive
finish installation

install drivers from the other usb stick

create a image using clonezilla or something to another location/hard drive

then partition the space you didn't use in Windows... This will be data
change the user folder links (C:\Users\*username*\*) for My documents, pictures etc and point it to now use the data partition

you will have 3 partitions... System reserved, windows os, and data...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
if you have the key for win 8 you may be able to download the Iso -not sure of the link but others may have it or there is a thread that has links and install and use your key. This Should work.

Edit:
i don't know how much they charge but i think you can order the restore disks from HP also. i think they charge a lot for them though but might check it out. also when you do have a system up and stable make sure you create a restore point on a partition or on DVD.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Aug 14, 2010
123 posts
41 upvotes
george__ wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 4:38 pm
download windows 7 iso off the net
put onto usb stick
download hp drivers from hp site
put onto another usb stick

boot from windows 7 usb stick.. THIS time partition the drive to use only 40gb not the entire drive
finish installation

install drivers from the other usb stick

create a image using clonezilla or something to another location/hard drive

then partition the space you didn't use in Windows... This will be data
change the user folder links (C:\Users\*username*\*) for My documents, pictures etc and point it to now use the data partition

you will have 3 partitions... System reserved, windows os, and data...
This is the way to go.

'quote : SO IT MEANS I LOST ALL THE SOFTWARE THAT CAME WITH MY HP SYSTEM PURCHASE AND I ALSO LOST THE RECOVERY PARTITION AND WINDOWS 8.'
First part its good, second i, in your case you should have kept it...
Those software are for the most part trials that you can get it easily.

you need to set up your drives correctly in the bios. Your old drive was a primary drive- that mean you need your fresh OS to be the primary (on the small partition) if you set up your old drive as primary it wont work because it is set up for your old computer (drivers etc)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
Arkeron wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 5:35 pm
you need to set up your drives correctly in the bios.
Yeah, I managed to set them, or maybe default was correct, new HDD on SATA0, old HDD on SATA1, DVD-Rom drive on SATA2.
Now all I want is that the USB3.0 ports in the front work and also that the integrated WiFi on the motherboard works. I only found the Windows8 version of the drivers.
I found win7 also but in all cases, I got the following error:
Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9996)
Even with drivers that should work on win7-64bit. :facepalm: :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 7:52 pm
install windows 8
Windows 8 is gone when I formatted the disk and I don't like it. Win7 is easier to use.