• Aug 16th, 2018 12:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1839 posts
459 upvotes
Ottawa

Buying a Mattress in Canada

So I've been looking at mattresses in sometimes in store, sometimes online at places like Leons, The Brick, etc.

I'm wondering if these big box stores change the names of their floor models because I can't seem to find any reliable info on the Simmons, Sealy, Serta, etc. brands. For example the Simmons models listed on their websites or flyers often do no show up on manufacturer website.

Are they changing the names of the models so that you can't look up reviews or compare prices reliably? I've watched a couple of youtube videos about the pricing of mattresses, and it seems to be quite the racket.
10 replies
Feb 20, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
I've been in the same boat and have been reading a lot on line. All the retailers use different names for the same model so that you can't price match or compare. It's funny that places like Sleep Country have a Price Match policy because that is near impossible. What bothers me the most is that most of the salespeople at the typical places like Leons or The Brick can never tell you what the bed is made of. I think I will likely buy a mattress online since some of the online companies will tell you the details of the mattress construction. So far from what I have found, Novosbed and Silk & Snow are the two higher quality beds sold in Canada and clearly show the quality of the foam that is used.
Apr 5, 2006
178 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga
The best value mattresses are at Costco, most of them are online. Great return policy too.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14862 posts
5173 upvotes
Great site to read: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Yes you will find that models are all different names and will have ever-so-slight differences in things like coil count, etc.

One of the advantages of Costco is that it's a no-haggle price. There is no option to haggle, period. It's the best price they can offer you (they do come on sale a couple times a year). The downside is that you cannot really try them out. While they have a great return policy I think it'd be taking advantage of it if you go into it planning to try out a dozen mattresses because they cannot be resold after (and someone pays for it in the end).

Then you have the alternative method - buying out of kijiji from someone who buys directly from the factory. The downside is that you don't control as much around the brand or features - I find they are generally lower-end mattresses. But their prices cannot be beat.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1839 posts
459 upvotes
Ottawa
palmsweat wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 1:34 am
I've been in the same boat and have been reading a lot on line. All the retailers use different names for the same model so that you can't price match or compare. It's funny that places like Sleep Country have a Price Match policy because that is near impossible. What bothers me the most is that most of the salespeople at the typical places like Leons or The Brick can never tell you what the bed is made of. I think I will likely buy a mattress online since some of the online companies will tell you the details of the mattress construction. So far from what I have found, Novosbed and Silk & Snow are the two higher quality beds sold in Canada and clearly show the quality of the foam that is used.
Yea, the problem with the brand name beds like Simmons/Sealy, etc. is that they don't get into the details of what is in the bed. Some of the bed-in-a-box tell you specifically the weight of each layer. I think I might go with the bloom at Sleep Country since it felt ok when I tried it out.
ol2006 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 2:13 pm
The best value mattresses are at Costco, most of them are online. Great return policy too.

I looked at costco for their mattresses. But I don't think I'm ready to spend what they are asking for, granted they are nice mattresses.
TrevorK wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 2:54 pm
Great site to read: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Yes you will find that models are all different names and will have ever-so-slight differences in things like coil count, etc.

One of the advantages of Costco is that it's a no-haggle price. There is no option to haggle, period. It's the best price they can offer you (they do come on sale a couple times a year). The downside is that you cannot really try them out. While they have a great return policy I think it'd be taking advantage of it if you go into it planning to try out a dozen mattresses because they cannot be resold after (and someone pays for it in the end).

Then you have the alternative method - buying out of kijiji from someone who buys directly from the factory. The downside is that you don't control as much around the brand or features - I find they are generally lower-end mattresses. But their prices cannot be beat.
hey! I've visited sleeplikethedead. Did some of my research on that and other sites, quite helpful!
Nov 17, 2006
25 posts
16 upvotes
palmsweat wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 1:34 am
I just ordered the Novosbed and a few days after ordering they updated their website. It no longer lists foam densities and their support confirmed that they changed the composition of the layers and said that the previous version was higher density foam.

I have the Silk and Snow now - it is definitely a high quality mattress/materials and their customer service is really good. We like the S&S but wanted to compare it against the Novosbed. Unfortunately this comparison won't be of much use for anyone else the Novosbed I'll be receiving is not their "new and improved" model :(
Feb 16, 2010
607 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
slickdealer wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 2:44 am
I just ordered the Novosbed and a few days after ordering they updated their website. It no longer lists foam densities and their support confirmed that they changed the composition of the layers and said that the previous version was higher density foam.

I have the Silk and Snow now - it is definitely a high quality mattress/materials and their customer service is really good. We like the S&S but wanted to compare it against the Novosbed. Unfortunately this comparison won't be of much use for anyone else the Novosbed I'll be receiving is not their "new and improved" model :(
Wow, that’s a $1200 mattress. How does this compare to Casper mattresses?
Feb 4, 2012
241 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
We're in Ottawa too, and recently went through the mattress shopping process, but for our camper. We needed an "RV King" which is about 6" narrower than a regular king bed (so between a queen and a king). We ended up going to Lapensee and really liked their mattresses - they make their own over in Gatineau and have stores in Kanata and Orleans. They made the custom size mattress for us in a few days and then we left on a 10 day trip. So far we're really happy with the quality and comfort of the mattress, and it certainly isn't their high end model. Food for thought, if you want other places to check out.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2525 posts
1452 upvotes
Oakville, ON
eugene188 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:30 pm
So I've been looking at mattresses in sometimes in store, sometimes online at places like Leons, The Brick, etc.

I'm wondering if these big box stores change the names of their floor models because I can't seem to find any reliable info on the Simmons, Sealy, Serta, etc. brands. For example the Simmons models listed on their websites or flyers often do no show up on manufacturer website.

Are they changing the names of the models so that you can't look up reviews or compare prices reliably? I've watched a couple of youtube videos about the pricing of mattresses, and it seems to be quite the racket.
Yep!
Nov 17, 2006
25 posts
16 upvotes
steeped wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 6:05 am
Wow, that’s a $1200 mattress. How does this compare to Casper mattresses?
I haven't tried it. My wife said it felt crappy and like a cheap foam mattress you could get for much less. Also Casper is super sketchy - suing or threatening legal action against a site that had negative reviews for it. Casper ended up buying that site. Hmm...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)