Automotive

Buying a mid-ish-sized SUV in early 2019 - what should I know now?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 2:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4288 posts
757 upvotes
Toronto

Buying a mid-ish-sized SUV in early 2019 - what should I know now?

The wife is off on maternity leave until 2019 and at which point, her old Corolla will be sold off to a college student and we'll be getting an SUV.

We want to do some test driving now while the weather is nice, and also as a means to whittle down the list of options.

Our budget is around $40K + tax (etc.), and we're looking at the usual suspects (Highlander, Pilot, RDX, XC40/60, Tiguan, etc.); with the Pilot being on the larger end and the Tiguan & XC40 being on the "is that too small?" side of things.

Is there anything I should be considering when in the search? It seems like most SUVs are either at the end generation or have just entered into a new one. What should I know now?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25095 posts
9979 upvotes
Toronto
I guess you can research which one has the highest safety rating (since you now have a more precious being on board) Smiling Face With Open Mouth. Then fuel consumption (regular vs premium gas requirement to see if the latter will strain your tight family budget) and insurance shopping.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3442 posts
814 upvotes
Home
Tiguan is definitely not small. It's actually same or even bigger size than XC60 (at least the interior and cargo space).
I think 'mid-size' line is getting blur, as compact size SUVs (RAV4, CR-V, Q5, X3, etc) are getting bigger, and now there are smaller versions of those 'compact' SUVs.
The usual mid-size SUVs now come with 3rd row seats (either standard or option), so the important question is - do you need/want 3rd row seats?
If yes, then check out Highlander and competitors in its class. VW Tiguan is one of the rare smaller SUVs with available 3rd row seats.
Koodo $40 6GB
Mar 8, 2004
805 posts
91 upvotes
The new Infiniti QX50 looks nice too. And it's totally redesigned for 2019.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29542 posts
15397 upvotes
Ottawa
$45K OTR, the Pilot would be your best bet.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1599 posts
1020 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 9:23 am
$45K OTR, the Pilot would be your best bet.
Yep, that would be my call as well. You'll have to work real hard to get it to $45K (base model) though. Not sure if that's doable.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11812 posts
5338 upvotes
Toronto
Pilot for 1 kid is overkill
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25095 posts
9979 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 10:41 am
Pilot for 1 kid is overkill
... 1 for now and a bunch more to come .. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4031 posts
1126 upvotes
Vancouver
Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight ~ $43K incl delivery, taxes extra, MSRP
Invoice is about $39.5K but good luck negotiating much more than $1500 off MSRP
- best AWD in class
- best headlights in class, better than almost all current vehicles under $60K
- top rated for safety
- zoom zoom with the boxer 6 cyl
- decent fuel economy with the 6 cyl
- no zoom zoom with the 4 cyl but very good fuel economy for an AWD
- Android Auto & Apple Carplay
- very good sound system for when it is just you in the car
- plenty of room for two baby seats in back
- roomy behind the 2nd row as it is a space longer than found in the CR-V (CR-V has most storage in class) but not as high
- handles well (some say more car like because it is lower and has a lowe CG due the boxer engine)
- brakes well

My only negative against it, other than not enough rear storage for my needs, was that you sit a bit lower than a CR-V, RDX, or Tiguan (but a fair bit higher than a Corolla). The wife, a CR-V driver, wanted higher in case she gets the car as a hand me down in 4 years.

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3442 posts
814 upvotes
Home
NewsyL wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 12:20 am
- best headlights in class, better than almost all current vehicles under $60K
Very interesting. What's special about Outback's headlights?
Koodo $40 6GB
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29542 posts
15397 upvotes
Ottawa
terry0703 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 8:29 am
Very interesting. What's special about Outback's headlights?
Adaptive LEDs, which are mainly available in luxury vehicles.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3442 posts
814 upvotes
Home
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 8:35 am
Adaptive LEDs, which are mainly available in luxury vehicles.
Well he said 'better than almost all current vehicles under $60K'.
Adaptive front lightings are pretty common in vehicles under $40K. As far as I know, upper trims (still well under $40K) of Tiguan and CX-5 have them, not to mention $60K.
Koodo $40 6GB
Sep 18, 2007
69 posts
8 upvotes
What about the new Hyundai Kona EV suv?

Just received emails from Hyundai they are taking pre-orders now, so expect delivery sometime in 2019. Converting Norway prices to CAD the highest trim is selling at $345,900 kr which is roughly $50,000 CAD. Estimated at 400km+ range.

It's not a luxury brand, and the Ont EV rebates is gone now, but just providing an alternative option if you wish to be gasoline free :)
Oct 15, 2008
275 posts
233 upvotes
canada
Are you buying? I'd say Highlander, as it still uses a V6 and will be more reliable in the long run.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4031 posts
1126 upvotes
Vancouver
Re the headlights - under $60K the Mazda CX-5 and CX-9 are also rated "G" Good for their higher trim levels; Tiguan is rated Marginal to Poor depending on trim level. Another car with good headlight performance is the Kia Sorento in the high trim level but Poor in lower trims. edit: oops..... CX-9 is only a "A" Acceptable.

At the following link you can check safety ratings inclusive of crash tests and headlight performance.

Outback http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... door-wagon

then click on the "Headlights" button at lower left (scroll down if need to) - it will show a diagram of the headlight pattern for various models of the vehicle.

CX-5 http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... 4-door-suv
Tiguan http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... 4-door-suv
Sorento http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... 4-door-suv

Regardless of MSRP imho you will want at least Acceptable headlights for the 4 months of the year it is dark'ish from 5PM thru 7AM .