Buying my first car advice

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2018 3:19 am
Mar 8, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes

Buying my first car advice

Hi there,

Im in need of a car and have decided a new car is what we want. I'd love to have the most features for the lowest cost (of course) and would really like an SUV.

Budget is maxed out at 35,000. But ideally I would really prefer to stay around 30,000 to 32,000, but of course lower is always better!!
In order to get an SUV for that price range with as many features as possible, Ive decided AWD is not a necessity for me. I dont have a far commute and will purchase winter tires.

I prefer the safety net of a 0% finance option and with 0% may be able to justify going past the 33,000 mark.
I'm on the fence between buying a reliable car i plan on keeping forever, or buying a good resale value vehicle. Not really sure what the better plan is.

I do not have any particular cars in mind. Really open to suggestions on where i should start looking. I'd like to go as high up in car features that would include sunroofs/moonroof options with all the best technological options available.

Suggestions? Tips? Please and thank you!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Not really an SUV, but maybe something like a Subaru Crosstrek, has more clearance than some SUVs at 9" I bought my limited for 37,000k all in, but that's the top of the line model with Eyesight, I am sure there are middle range models that might fit the bill. Mine has things like sunroof, steering responsive led headlight, lane departure warnings, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, blindspot detectiors, emergency braking, heated seats, heated steering wheel, with an added benefit of AWD.

Don't really know much about anything else on the market, was looking at SUVs last year myself, but they were all close to 40-43k range for the features I wanted.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2869 posts
2130 upvotes
My advice....
- Dont pay for more than 60 months.
- Gas + maintenance, Insurance, car note cant be more than 15% of your take home pay.
Smash that like button!
Jul 9, 2007
57 posts
8 upvotes
North York
Kia Niro, not exactly a proper SUV but it's very fuel efficient and will keep the cost down.
Oct 2, 2017
850 posts
608 upvotes
For 33k you can buy a premium used suv.. or brand new crv/RAV4. Don't buy a shit box like a kia with that kind of money. Car interest rates are fixed once you sign the contract so 0% is essentially a marketing gimmick with the interest to you were going to pay already included in the price.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
azmongold wrote: For 33k you can buy a premium used suv.. or brand new crv/RAV4. Don't buy a shit box like a kia with that kind of money. Car interest rates are fixed once you sign the contract so 0% is essentially a marketing gimmick with the interest to you were going to pay already included in the price.
But for 0% you would need to sign a 24 or 36 month lease/finance? So the monthly cost of the vehicle with gas, insurance, and maintenance will be a lot no?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
My advice is that you find something you really like. You can get lots of advice but in the ed, it is your butt in the seat day in and day out. Is that worth saving a few bucks? You will need to like it for quite some time.
Of course you want the best for the least but, just make sue you are going to like it.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
what size?
35K can be a tiny SUV with a lot of features, or a mid-size in pretty much the basic trim.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
You're not going to get far, if looking for brand new!
May 17, 2018
278 posts
125 upvotes
Jelloshot wrote:
Suggestions? Tips? Please and thank you!
I suggest two things--not necessarily in this order.
1. Go to a bunch of dealerships carrying different makes, and test drive pretty much everything that potentially falls into your target category, including ones you can't afford (which will help give you a better sense of what fancy stuff matters to you and what doesn't).
2. Pick up a copy of Lemonaid, preferably the newest one, and ideally for free from your local library, and read everything in it that's relevant to you, including the portions on buying a new car and the reviews of all of the SUVs and SUV-like vehicles, even those from brands you might have a (perhaps well justified) bias against.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
Do your research and don't let yourself be pressured or rush into deals on the spot, watch out for sneaky sales tactics and upsells.

Rav4/CR-V/CX-5 are safe choices if you can find the right model/trim in your budget. Most importantly, go actually sit in and test drive what you are considering, there are many qualities around comfort and handling that no review and spec comparison will capture.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)