Page 2 of 3

Re: buying a new monitor

Posted: Nov 17th, 2012 10:12 pm
by Gangsta
You can't get an IPS 120hz.

If you are a serious gamer I recommend a 120hz by BenQ or ASUS.

Reminds me I need to get a new monitor...

Posted: Nov 18th, 2012 2:19 am
by NewsyL
george__ wrote: If you want better IPS - there is the HP ZR24w (sIPS)
That's the old model... the latest is the HP ZR2440w. It's highly rated by Prad.de and TFT Central. However, the input lag is a little high - double that of the Dell U2412M. The new model with its' LED back light is much better than the older ZR24w with its' CCFL back light in that it can be adjusted much lower in brightness. The ZR24w was too bright to use for editing images in a dark room.

It's not a true S-IPS as per the S-IPS we knew from several years ago. Not the same matrix at all. It uses almost the same model panel as the Dell U2412M. ZR2440w uses a LM240WU8-SLA1 and the Dell U2412M uses a LM240WU8-SLA2. So.... an e-IPS panel which the HP marketing dept would like you to think is an S-IPS.

Posted: Nov 19th, 2012 4:38 am
by eagle18
guys do you know that how much is input lag for PA248Q and U2412?

Posted: Nov 19th, 2012 9:33 am
by george__
eagle18 wrote: guys do you know that how much is input lag for PA248Q and U2412?
be warned - Asus QC sucks with the PA248Q (well at least used to).

ASUS - 6ms (http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitor ... ifications)
Dell - 8ms (http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=320-2676)

Posted: Nov 19th, 2012 1:08 pm
by NewsyL
These are the pixel refresh rates, NOT "input lag".

From the TFT Central reviews:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm
U2412M ... 9.4 ms

From Prad.de
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2 ... ml#Latency
U2412 ... about 7.5 ms

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/20 ... #Subjektiv
(sorry German only at this time)
PA248Q ... about 12.5 ms by their reckoning, still good for gaming as up to 16ms is considered good.

Btw... overall, Prad rated the PA248Q as a "Satisfactory". By their standards this is NOT impressive. The Dell U2412M was rated as "Good". The new U2713HM was rated as a "Very Good". Prad's imperative is image quality over gaming suitability, "Very Good" is the highest accolade I've seen them rate to.

Asus PA246Q

Posted: Nov 19th, 2012 4:15 pm
by Gee
I have a pair of Asus P246Q and I am very happy with the quality of these monitors. I want to get a second pair and use a 4 display setup, but I don't want to drop another $1000 for two more monitors.

I am going to consider a pair of Dell U2412M if they go on sale in the next few weeks.

Posted: Nov 20th, 2012 11:51 pm
by eagle18
So if you were me ...you go with Pa248 (in store) or U2412 (order online) ?

Posted: Nov 20th, 2012 11:57 pm
by george__
The U

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 1:30 am
by NorthernRaven
I'm actually looking for a 24" 16:10 monitor myself. I'm a programmer, and I need one that comes with 90º pivot support, but I'm not a gamer and don't have those sorts of concerns (lag, etc). The PA248Q seems to have come out of my research process on top, but it's hard to find them anywhere to actually take a look at them - does anyone have experience with some of these monitors in portrait orientation? The others I've been checking out are the U2412 and HP's ZR2440w, and NEC seems to have the EA243WM in this price range.

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 8:39 am
by george__
^
NEC makes some nice monitors...

I don't think you are going to find any on display in your area

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 11:57 am
by spena
george__ wrote: The U
crossing my fingers for a good sale price this weekend

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 12:25 pm
by ippon
forgot about black friday. i guess it could go on sale on BF before days of deals.

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 12:43 pm
by NewsyL
NorthernRaven wrote: I'm actually looking for a 24" 16:10 monitor myself. I'm a programmer, and I need one that comes with 90º pivot support, but I'm not a gamer and don't have those sorts of concerns (lag, etc). The PA248Q seems to have come out of my research process on top, but it's hard to find them anywhere to actually take a look at them - does anyone have experience with some of these monitors in portrait orientation? The others I've been checking out are the U2412 and HP's ZR2440w, and NEC seems to have the EA243WM in this price range.
The NEC EA243WM uses a "TN" type LCD matrix in the panel. When you rotate this and if you are looking at it on an angle sitting to the left of the "bottom" side, you may notice significant shifting in color/gamma from left to right. From a 45 degree angle an image on it would take on the appearance of something like a film negative. For software coding, it may not bother you with white on black text unless you are using color coded text but if you an angle the monitor so it is square onto you, it would not be too bad.

Best to stick with a monitor that uses an IPS type LCD matrix if you want to use it in portrait mode.

Here's an example of the above....

TN panel > http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq ... angles.jpg

IPS panel > http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/hp_z ... angles.jpg

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 3:08 pm
by eagle18
It is 1-2 day before black friday and dell doesn't have any Deals and Coupons ! I guss i should go with $360 ...oh god! $360 Is a little bite high price!

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 4:09 pm
by george__
eagle18 wrote: It is 1-2 day before black friday and dell doesn't have any Deals and Coupons ! I guss i should go with $360 ...oh god! $360 Is a little bite high price!
Dude too much
I paid I think?? $280 or something for my U2412

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 6:48 pm
by NorthernRaven
NewsyL wrote: The NEC EA243WM uses a "TN" type LCD matrix in the panel.
Hmm, I haven't really been considering the NEC and hadn't gone through the specs, but that's surprising. I'm definitely looking for some sort of IPS or equivalent because of the viewing angles and rotation. That's a pretty pricey TN panel - it comes out in the same ballpark as the e-IPS ASUS and Dell. I might take a flyer on a great value TN, but certainly not at those prices.

My early leader is the Asus - the Dell seems to scale 16:9 1080p input instead of letterboxing it at 1:1, and I might want to watch the occasional DVD on this as a backup to the TV. It looks like around $400 all-in with shipping and taxes from the likes of FutureShop, and I'll keep an eye out for sales.

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 6:50 pm
by george__
^
Make sure if you buy a ASUS - you buy some warranty for dead pixel... ASUS quality control is very bad with their IPS

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 9:33 pm
by eagle18
[QUOTE]Dude too much
I paid I think?? $280 or something for my U2412 [/QUOTE]

When and how you found this deal?!

Are you satisfy with your U2412 in FPS Games?! (problem like Ghosting - Input lag or other)

I think NCIX Accept to return Defective monitors !?! But i will Talking about it with seller before shopping

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 9:41 pm
by george__
eagle18 wrote: When and how you found this deal?!

Are you satisfy with your U2412 in FPS Games?! (problem like Ghosting - Input lag or other)

I think NCIX Accept to return Defective monitors !?! But i will Talking about it with seller before shopping
I have 2 x U2412M and 2 x U2312HM... Both are great, I use the U2412M mostly for work / reading stuff and the U2312HM for gaming / video. Don't notice much ghosting or lag with any of them.

And Dell has random sales now and then :) . The U2312HM were only ~$200 tax in when I got them

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 11:37 pm
by NewsyL
My U2412M was $269 before taxes but it has gone for $249 before taxes not so long ago. I'd expect something at this level this week in the USA, maybe in Canada. I play a fair bit of Call of Duty on mine.... I find no big issues with ghosting or input lag that I think the monitor holds me back. I'm ranked in top 100 on most servers I play in regularly.