Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2001 posts
50 upvotes

Buying other GC with SDM GC

Am I allowed to buy non-SDM gift cards at shoppers drug Mart with SDM gift cards?

I was told today by a student employee and student cashier that I can't do that.

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1753 posts
564 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
how did you know they are a student employee and a student cashier? i'm assuming the employee was the cashier? and the cashier was the employee?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2001 posts
50 upvotes
Cuz they were young?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4173 posts
1434 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
What's it like, going through life assuming that everybody other than you is an idiot?
Aug 9, 2005
758 posts
274 upvotes
Back on topic, SDM has the most ridiculous rules when it comes to GC.
It is true that you can't buy SDM gift cards with SDM GC's (i.e. consolidating) and some stores interpret that as no to ALL GCs.
But like that "rule" you can't pay for a SDM GC with a Credit Card, YMMV depending on who you talk to & what mood they're in.
Jan 18, 2007
47 posts
83 upvotes
Pierrefonds,QC
At my SDM i can always buy a non CG with a SDM GC i do this all the time and if i'm buying A SDM GC i can always use a CC
Aug 19, 2012
205 posts
210 upvotes
RICHMOND
It should state on the back of the gift card. I recently had sort of the same situation at Safeway while trying to use that $100 Suretap Prepaid MasterCard from Rogers. For one they had never seen anyone use theor phone to "tap" for a purchase so they were on the offensive to begin with. They were shocked it went through with the Tapped note on the receipt. The manager mentioned that you are not allowed to buy GC with another GC and that the Visa GCs are treated as such as well. I explained to them that it wasn't a GC but a virtual prepaid card etc. Then some customer in line piped up and sait it was illegal - I was kind of taken aback as that was news to me and asked her why... she replied with sime example which didn't really make sense and referenced Costco and Amex (& thats why they stopped..) and that people were buying costco gc and selling them.... don't quite see how that is illegal but... I am curious if anyone does have a definite answer..
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4972 posts
343 upvotes
If their policy hasn't changed, official answer from Head Office is "Yes."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7732 posts
1354 upvotes
dokechi wrote:
Feb 28th, 2015 2:54 am
Back on topic, SDM has the most ridiculous rules when it comes to GC.
It is true that you can't buy SDM gift cards with SDM GC's (i.e. consolidating) and some stores interpret that as no to ALL GCs.
But like that "rule" you can't pay for a SDM GC with a Credit Card, YMMV depending on who you talk to & what mood they're in.
You can always buy a gc or anything else in the store with your credit card. And SDM has been told they must by Master card Canada head office (and added a bunch of points to my card for what happened over that, and there was no issue again at the same store). I know people on a competitor site keep spreading nonsense over that. MC and VISA do not allow their cards to be discriminated against compared to other forms of payment

However their policy is you can't use their gc to buy other gcs, though it works if the staff will do it and some will