Shopping Discussion

Buying a phone and cancelling right away, what has to be taken into consideration?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2015 6:20 pm
Dec 11, 2013
28 posts
10 upvotes
Abbotsford
So after all this, what did you pay out? Total fees, phone cost, everything?
[OP]
Apr 17, 2015
83 posts
34 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Darwades wrote: So after all this, what did you pay out? Total fees, phone cost, everything?
Hey Darwades, I'm still waiting for the monthly invoice to have the exact confirmed $ amounts.

In the end, I paid the phone (450$ on first day + the remaining 50$ on cancellation day) + a mandatory Sim Card for a provider I won't be needing for now.
On the bright side, I had the phone in my hands 30 minutes after walking into the store, no shipping fees or delays.

All in all, it looks like you are paying 10$ to avoid shipping delays. This would be a VERY interesting strategy for someone currently with a provider (ex: Koodo) which doesn't have a lot of phone selection . You could go buy the phone at Rogers or Telus or Videotron and bring it home.

I'll update this post when I get the final invoice from Videotron.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17929 posts
10321 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dealHub wrote: I had the phone in my hands 30 minutes after walking into the store, no shipping fees or delays... All in all, it looks like you are paying 10$ to avoid shipping delays.
Indeed. The phone is in stock on Google's Play store, it sells for $499 (16GB) and shipping is free.

If you buy online you also "Enjoy 90 days of Google Play Music, on us: Buy Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X and redeem your offer by 4/18/2017. New subscribers only." Did Videotron offer you that?
This would be a VERY interesting strategy for someone currently with a provider (ex: Koodo) which doesn't have a lot of phone selection . You could go buy the phone at Rogers or Telus or Videotron and bring it home.
Yes, you could have done a lot worse, e.g. Bhell Google Nexus 5X 16GB Smartphone - 2 Year Agreement for $579.99. Higher price. A two-year contract. Have to deal with Bhell. Backed by Best Buy. What could be worse? :twisted:
I'll update this post when I get the final invoice from Videotron.
That could be a real downside if Videotron's billing is as atrocious as, say, Robbers or Bhell. But I suspect that's doubtful ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Apr 17, 2015
83 posts
34 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bylo wrote: Indeed. The phone is in stock on Google's Play store, it sells for $499 (16GB) and shipping is free.

If you buy online you also "Enjoy 90 days of Google Play Music, on us: Buy Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X and redeem your offer by 4/18/2017. New subscribers only." Did Videotron offer you that?

Yes, the free 90days is a card in the phone box.

Also, it's true, I specifically checked Telus and Videotron and went with Videotron that is selling the phone at 499$ rather than Telus that is selling it at 620$
[OP]
Apr 17, 2015
83 posts
34 upvotes
Montreal, QC
OK guys,

As promised, I now received the final invoice from Videotron so I'm able to give you the real total cost of the operation:

Phone +499$
SimCard +15$
Cancellation fees +47.92
Credit -50$
= subtotal of 512.87$ for the phone.

New plan (16nov to 6dec) +22.09$
Cancellation new plan (17nov to 6dec) -21.03
= subtotal 1.06$

So if you compare the true cost to ordering the phone online at the time (499$), you pay a +14.93$ to get the phone on the spot.