• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2018 12:46 pm
[OP]
Jul 19, 2007
307 posts
37 upvotes
Markham

Safest Way to buy used phone from kijiji/Avoid scams

With all the frauds emerging lately when the used phones get blacklisted for various reasons, is there a way we can protect ourselves and have the phone IMEI properly and officially transferred to our name?
There are still some good deals available when compared to buying from carriers so I believe with few precautions we can still realize good savings and a safe purchase.
Please share your tips to avoid getting your phone blacklisted after the fact. Thanks
Thread Summary
The community is warned that cellphone deals on Kijiji that appear "too good to be true" will likely result in blacklisting or collections-blocking, yielding the phone unuseable on at least one of the major carriers. This is most common among top brand flagship phones such as Apple and Samsung.
204 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12179 posts
1891 upvotes
Markham
The safe way is don't buy from kijiji
You can play safe and do all homework before you buy
But there is nothing stopping the phone to be blacklisted after sale.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5303 posts
1080 upvotes
Markham
Best thing is to buy from a fellow RFD'er...preferably one that has been on here for a while and has a good BST rating. Other sites can be hit or miss. Mass majority of deals work ok but it's the one time that hurts.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Sep 5, 2009
199 posts
19 upvotes
I bought at least a dozen phones from kijiji including premium devices (iphone 6, iphone 5 when it just came out). I never had any issues. Most of the time, you will know by the communication pattern if something is fishy. If you get any vibe that its not sounding right, avoid. Also don't go for unreasonably cheap deals. Do your research and try to get a good deal from the posts. Always try it with your sim and check imei.

At the end of the day there is always bit of luck involved but the money you save is well worth the risk.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2007
307 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
I am confused if I get the imei successfully transferred to my account then how can it still get blacklisted. If I buy from a person with original receipt then how can previos still go back an d blacklist this? Kindly explain.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4372 posts
248 upvotes
Markham
The risk is there in the second-hand market, no matter where you buy from. You think buying from RFD is a safe place? How do you think the folks with +100 feedback keep trading various phones every year? You think the phones they trade are all owned by their accounts?

All you have with high feedback seller is their reputation and their word but I bet if I was selling a phone I got from someone else, I know I cannot guarantee it will not be blacklisted in the future.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3179 posts
271 upvotes
Buy from someone that purchased the device new with all the paperwork that comes with it.

You will see their account info, ask for an id and then get them to call their current service provider and transfer the phone if it wasn't bought out of contract.

The truth is, there is a risk, you're going to save a couple of hundred dollars and still spend 500$. If you can afford it, go buy know and do credit card payments on the 200$...

I've been there once, not buying a phone off kjj again.

I hate that phone companies are ripping the benefits here but think about people that get their phones stolen, the phones have become daily devices where people keep a lot of personal information in, losing them to someone that will make a quick buck is just not right.

Cheers,
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2529 posts
648 upvotes
West
mdfaisal wrote:
Nov 10th, 2014 2:16 pm
I bought at least a dozen phones from kijiji including premium devices (iphone 6, iphone 5 when it just came out). I never had any issues. Most of the time, you will know by the communication pattern if something is fishy. If you get any vibe that its not sounding right, avoid. Also don't go for unreasonably cheap deals. Do your research and try to get a good deal from the posts. Always try it with your sim and check imei.

At the end of the day there is always bit of luck involved but the money you save is well worth the risk.
You would be singing a different tune if you got screwed out of $400+ dollars. Just because you were lucky, doesn't mean others will be. Relying on "Vibes" is leaving a lot of room for someone to get screwed.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20053 posts
132233 upvotes
GTA
Lovable wrote:
Nov 10th, 2014 2:30 pm
The risk is there in the second-hand market, no matter where you buy from. You think buying from RFD is a safe place? How do you think the folks with +100 feedback keep trading various phones every year? You think the phones they trade are all owned by their accounts?

All you have with high feedback seller is their reputation and their word but I bet if I was selling a phone I got from someone else, I know I cannot guarantee it will not be blacklisted in the future.
This. When buying from someone else, you have no idea how many times the phone has changed hands. Perhaps the chances of something going wrong are somewhat less when buying a brand new model vs. something that's been out for a year or two, but still, there's no guarantee. Remember that blacklisting can occur for the following reasons (just off the top of my head):

-stolen (stolen from someone else and then sold)
-reported as stolen but then sold (insurance fraud)
-non-payment of cellphone bill
-phone was purchased with a stolen credit card

So unless you have something to go by with respect to the 'trustworthiness' of that person, it's fairly high risk to buy from Kijiji/CL (ESPECIALLY if it is a used one). I would much rather buy from BST here or even eBay, because at least there is a ratings system and on eBay you see what they have sold in the past. I bought my current phone on eBay and so far so good (seller was a cellphone dealer).
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1279 posts
216 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
resan wrote:
Nov 10th, 2014 2:28 pm
I am confused if I get the imei successfully transferred to my account then how can it still get blacklisted. If I buy from a person with original receipt then how can previos still go back an d blacklist this? Kindly explain.
That's what I did, going through the seller and the provider. Wouldn't do it any other way.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2490 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Keigotw wrote:
Nov 10th, 2014 12:57 pm
The safe way is don't buy from kijiji
/thread
Jul 14, 2009
200 posts
10 upvotes
Downtown, Toronto
I'll start by saying that yes this was a stupid decision on my part and I don't need sympathy but
I'll warn everybody to NOT buy phones off Kijiji or any other platform like such for that matter.
(RFDs I'd only trust if the user has an older account with some previous transactions on it.)

Last month my girlfriend bought an iPhone 7 (with my help) off Kijiji. I thought I had done enough research to make an informed decision on buying one online but yesterday her phone got blacklisted.
When I went to the Bell store they said it was reported stolen.

I've talked with Bell, Kijiji, the cops, and Apple.

Bell could only tell me the phone was reported stolen, nothing else.
They wouldn't even flag the original owners account or anything.

Kijiji obviously can't reimburse me and only flagged the account of the seller
(the seller's profile said he had been a member since 2011 so never trust the length they've been on the platform).

TPS told me they couldn't do anything, they had bigger fish to fry, can't prosecute people for selling things on Kijiji, etc.

Apple support surprising told me that I should have no problem just going to the carrier and asking for a replacement phone.
This doesn't sound right to me but she did understand my situation (she was in the states, maybe it's different there?)

Question is why are scammers able to get away with this? How has this not been addressed, it's a loophole/gray-area call it what you will.
To my understanding these scammers will buy a new phone, sell it, report it stolen a month later and get a payout from an insurance company? Or will get into a 2 year contract with a fraudulent ID and sell the phone then not pay the phone off.

PS- If someone has an idea of what I can do with this phone now let me know. I've heard that I could get some money selling in internationally but haven't looked into too much.

EDIT: spelling
Last edited by blueflame on Apr 5th, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.