Buying phones on Kijiji - Blacklisted

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 2:38 am
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17004 posts
1420 upvotes
Woodbridge
Confirming before I do buy one off kijiji...

Even if does get BLACKLISTED, I can still use the phone IN PHILIPPINES right?

I want to get something decent, cheap to bring back home.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
May 30, 2017
427 posts
123 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
bembol wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 10:43 am
Confirming before I do buy one off kijiji...

Even if does get BLACKLISTED, I can still use the phone IN PHILIPPINES right?

I want to get something decent, cheap to bring back home.
My dad bought a blacklisted T-Mobile iPhone 5C for $50 and it worked fine in India, LTE and all. Doesn't work in Canada though. As long as the country you're traveling to isn't part of the global IMEI blacklist, you're fine.
Jul 12, 2016
330 posts
180 upvotes
Judging by the fact that this discussion continues since November 2014, the thread is, unfortunately, extremely urgent so far. Exactly, in no case you shouldn't mindlessly buy "fishy" phones on Kijiji because it's not a secret for anyone, we can perfectly realize whether phone that we buy has been stolen or not. And if so, then by buying it, you only exacerbate the problem with which, perhaps, in the very near future you will be faced. I'm surprised how many phones lately have been stolen from my friends and relatives. And no one thought to look for them. At the same time, with a high degree of probability, they were sold through Kijiji. And it's not just whether the phone will be added in blacklisted or not. I am so sorry, but the fact is that who bought a stolen from a thief, is the thief himself.
May 30, 2017
427 posts
123 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
OliviaAlgoz wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 9:22 am
And it's not just whether the phone will be added in blacklisted or not. I am so sorry, but the fact is that who bought a stolen from a thief, is the thief himself.
The majority of the people buying these phones are buying them without knowing they were lost or stolen. It takes months for the IMEI to be added to the blacklist.

Even if you want to return the stolen phone, how do you do that with the IMEI alone? The good thing is, you can do it easily with iPhones if you take the phone to an Apple store. They can check IMEIs in their database and tell you which carrier the phone was locked to. That blacklisted iPhone 5C I mentioned was locked to AT&T and then unlocked by a third party at some point. The next step would be to call the provider and figure out how to return the phone to the owner. This may or may not work depending on if the original owner still has an account with the provider in question or not. If not, then you're probably SOL. They're obviously not going to give you any names or personal information over the phone. That's a breach of trust.

You could also take it to the police, but I 100% guarantee you it would sit there forever because (North American) police have better things to do with their time. They won't do anything about stolen phone transactions on Kijiji (unless those phones were stolen directly from company inventories), much less return stolen phones to owners.

How does IMEI sourcing work for Android phones without Find My Device running, BTW? Do you just take the unlocked phone you bought off Kijiji to every carrier to verify the IMEI number? How do you figure out which phone the carrier was locked to if the seller didn't give you that information beforehand?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2945 posts
410 upvotes
Markham, ON
Himaliyeti wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:16 pm
I think the best way is ask seller to provide proof of purchase. In case it gets blacklisted , you can always unblacklist it.
audit13 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:29 pm
Proof of purchase will not necessarily help get the phone removed from the blacklist.
Can you please elaborate?
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
May 30, 2017
427 posts
123 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
EnyCe wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 12:48 pm
Only the original owner can get a phone removed from the blacklist, AFAIK. But I feel you'd have a bit more luck getting a carrier to un-blacklist it if you had proof of purchase AND you have a plan with them. But it's generally very difficult to do this.
Nov 17, 2016
234 posts
154 upvotes
I read every post in this thread, but I am looking from another perspective - I want to sell my phone (I got free LG G4 from zoomer wireless that I do not need). I want to sell it quick, so price will be "good" - about 100$, so this will raise suspicion (as per posts here). I wanted to invite buyer to my house, but after reading experience here where somebody threw a brick into the window - I changed my mind. I have papers from Zoomer Wireless about this phone, but now I am not even comfortable giving buyer copy of these papers for the fear of identity theft - with that info anyone can call Zoomer and do anything they want to my account - all they ask is for name/address/phone-account info.
So how can I sell safetly for me and buyer cheap phone on Kijiji?
May 30, 2017
427 posts
123 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
Vi20161128 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:45 am
I read every post in this thread, but I am looking from another perspective - I want to sell my phone (I got free LG G4 from zoomer wireless that I do not need). I want to sell it quick, so price will be "good" - about 100$, so this will raise suspicion (as per posts here). I wanted to invite buyer to my house, but after reading experience here where somebody threw a brick into the window - I changed my mind. I have papers from Zoomer Wireless about this phone, but now I am not even comfortable giving buyer copy of these papers for the fear of identity theft - with that info anyone can call Zoomer and do anything they want to my account - all they ask is for name/address/phone-account info.
You don't need to do anything special for a price that low. Just make a post on Kijiji or FB Marketplace with your price, meet-up place and some pics. That's it. Someone will bite. No need to give out any extra information.
Dec 13, 2016
345 posts
119 upvotes
I'm looking for an iphone se to replace my old iphone 5. On craigslist, I'm seeing unlocked and sealed phones for sale with a years apple warranty. They seem to be for sale from a dealer rather than a private owner. Does that seem legit?
May 30, 2017
427 posts
123 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
jmomccxx wrote:
Apr 21st, 2018 5:12 pm
I'm looking for an iphone se to replace my old iphone 5. On craigslist, I'm seeing unlocked and sealed phones for sale with a years apple warranty. They seem to be for sale from a dealer rather than a private owner. Does that seem legit?
Most probably not. How do you know they weren't swiped from a store's inventory by a disgruntled employee, and that they won't get blacklisted after the company notices? Just buy a used phone from a normal person. You'll probably want to check other sites too, like FB Marketplace. If anything goes wrong you know the name of the person who sold it to you and you can report them to FB too. You can't really do that with Kijiji or Craigslist. I bet these dealers operate a ridiculous amount of accounts and if one gets removed, they'll move onto the next.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2008
1278 posts
98 upvotes
Square One, Mississa…
Vi20161128 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2018 10:45 am
If you are in West end Toronto, I am looking for a phone : )
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13761 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
EnyCe wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 12:48 pm
Proof of purchase, such as an invoice, will show that the phone was sold to the Kijiji seller, not the Kijiji buyer. Showing the invoice to the Kijiji seller's carrier isn't proof that the Kijiji seller sold the phone to the kijiji buyer.
Dec 13, 2016
345 posts
119 upvotes
cellnerd wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 6:24 am
Most probably not. How do you know they weren't swiped from a store's inventory by a disgruntled employee, and that they won't get blacklisted after the company notices? Just buy a used phone from a normal person. You'll probably want to check other sites too, like FB Marketplace. If anything goes wrong you know the name of the person who sold it to you and you can report them to FB too. You can't really do that with Kijiji or Craigslist. I bet these dealers operate a ridiculous amount of accounts and if one gets removed, they'll move onto the next.
What info should I get from an ordinary person to protect myself? Have you any experience of buying refurbished from ebay or amazon?
May 30, 2017
427 posts
123 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
jmomccxx wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 11:02 pm
What info should I get from an ordinary person to protect myself? Have you any experience of buying refurbished from ebay or amazon?
I've bought phones from auctions, the one I kept turned out to be defective and I managed to sell it anyway. The other was an iPhone so it sold pretty quickly. Both were from an auction site associated with eBay so I wasn't worried about blacklists though the items showed signs of use that the auction site was upfront about.

I would buy something from a place you can get an actual invoice from, like the other poster said. eBay is a hit and miss. I wouldn't use it for refurb phones, especially from toronto.cellular since it has some awful reviews. I bought my current phone new from eBay but it's a Xiaomi phone so there's no real way for it to get blacklisted. But I am on the lookout for hardware defects.

I only buy used phones or used phones under $200. Too much of a gamble to pay any more.
Sep 12, 2008
60 posts
15 upvotes
Canada
I'm puzzled as to why people don't buy through eBay. I've bought literally hundreds of items through eBay and almost never have a problem. Just bought two used smartphones through ebay, and both (so far, after about a month and a half) have turned out to be great. I paid approx. 25% of retail. Just follow typical eBay best practices...

-Look for sellers with 99% or higher positive feedback.
-Use Paypal to pay, and don't pay exorbitant shipping amounts.
(As a bonus, Paypal currently has that offer active in which they pay for return shipping if you're not happy, or there's a problem.)

So, (and I mean this as a genuine question): what's preventing people from buying on eBay?