Buying phones on Kijiji - Blacklisted

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 10:47 am
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22164 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
A used and blacklisted phone, even on eBay, won't get a lot since it won't be usable in North America.

It would be usable overseas but, overseas, the variety and availability of phones is much higher than North America.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
I would dip into my shoe boxes full of deprecated electronics before I buy anything from Kijiji. I did it once long ago way before the blacklist and Kijiji having a well developed reputation. Looking back at the demeanor of the seller based on what I know today, it would not surprise me that what I was sold was a doubtful item. I won't knowingly risk money like this or help to make crime pay. Why should I promote theft?
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
I just bought a p20 pro for $650 brand new off Kijiji a couple days ago.

I've been dealing on Kijiji for 10 years and have only ever had 1 phone get blacklisted.

Hoping this isn't #2
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2002
1702 posts
181 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: just got the phone yesterday, been playing around with it, and coming from a s8+, its not that impressive. Photos are heavily processed.
Even in manual mode, where the AI is (or can be) disabled?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Viper98 wrote: I just bought a p20 pro for $650 brand new off Kijiji a couple days ago.

I've been dealing on Kijiji for 10 years and have only ever had 1 phone get blacklisted.

Hoping this isn't #2
for me, i'd rather pay 100$+ more from a reputable rfd member for the peace of mind.
zabuza wrote: Even in manual mode, where the AI is (or can be) disabled?
i think turning AI off improved things. I'll try to post some photos for comparison later.
Sep 5, 2012
645 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
i would only buy from kijiji what i can afford to lose, this way i go in with my eyes wide open to a transaction, if you can afford to lose $600 then so be it
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1785 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Even when purchased outright at Bestbuy. A phone can still be blacklisted? Ad on kijiji claimes to of exchanged a $4k Macbook Pro for an iPhone X plus store credit. Fishy...
--------------------------------------
flickr
Aug 30, 2018
3 posts
3 upvotes
I'm thinking of buying a sealed unlocked phone from someone. They said it was a gift from a client. I'm wondering if it's possible for them to report it lost or stolen and get it blacklisted.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
jaiminwastaken wrote: I'm thinking of buying a sealed unlocked phone from someone. They said it was a gift from a client. I'm wondering if it's possible for them to report it lost or stolen and get it blacklisted.
Yes.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22164 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
jaiminwastaken wrote: Alrighty. So I'm just assuming I just avoid purchasing it all together?
It really depends on the phone, price, seller, etc. I would be willing to gamble on a $200 phone but that is about my limit.
Jan 1, 2010
542 posts
576 upvotes
I just bought a brand new Samsung A8 for about $285 a couple of days ago. The guy said he got it when he renewed with Freedom Mobile and they gave it to him for free.

I looked around on Kijiji and lots of the same phone floating around from $300 - $500. I checked out the IMEI and I also saw the contract on his phone with the IMEI listed on there. The box was still sealed and we opened it together when I agreed to buy the phone. I put in my SIM and it worked so I agreed to buy it. He gave me his number afterwards and told me to contact him if there were any issues after. He told me his first name, but after reading through the horror stories I scoured through Linkedin and Facebook still I found this guy. It was pretty easy cuz at this point I pretty much know his full name, his gf's name, dad's name etc (apparently he doesn't use privacy settings on Facebook). I kept the conversations on Kijiji as evidence as well. Have I covered my bases?

I am guessing I am screwed if he decides to blacklist the phone. I have my contract with Telus and I just needed a good midrange to tide me over till i can upgrade.

My question is there a way I can transfer the IMEI ownership to my name so he won't be able to blacklist it later? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22164 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
You cannot transfer the imei to yourself to prevent blacklisting.
Aug 31, 2007
541 posts
103 upvotes
Mississauga
ninja_warrior wrote: I just bought a brand new Samsung A8 for about $285 a couple of days ago. The guy said he got it when he renewed with Freedom Mobile and they gave it to him for free.

I looked around on Kijiji and lots of the same phone floating around from $300 - $500. I checked out the IMEI and I also saw the contract on his phone with the IMEI listed on there. The box was still sealed and we opened it together when I agreed to buy the phone. I put in my SIM and it worked so I agreed to buy it. He gave me his number afterwards and told me to contact him if there were any issues after. He told me his first name, but after reading through the horror stories I scoured through Linkedin and Facebook still I found this guy. It was pretty easy cuz at this point I pretty much know his full name, his gf's name, dad's name etc (apparently he doesn't use privacy settings on Facebook). I kept the conversations on Kijiji as evidence as well. Have I covered my bases?

I am guessing I am screwed if he decides to blacklist the phone. I have my contract with Telus and I just needed a good midrange to tide me over till i can upgrade.

My question is there a way I can transfer the IMEI ownership to my name so he won't be able to blacklist it later? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of people are getting A5/A8 uber cheap right now on contracts, especially with koodo with their migration event atm.
I think ur safe.
Jan 1, 2010
542 posts
576 upvotes
darksideleader wrote: A lot of people are getting A5/A8 uber cheap right now on contracts, especially with koodo with their migration event atm.
I think ur safe.
ok great, hey thanks for that. I appreciate it. I'll just hang on to this info just in case.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
I wouldn't worry about it. Shady people are hesitant to give any info out, use fake names and numbers. To me, it doesn't sound like this guy is is shady. His story seems and sounds legit. Lots of people get contract renewals with a $0 phone, and then flip it for some cash. Nothing wrong with that.
ninja_warrior wrote: I just bought a brand new Samsung A8 for about $285 a couple of days ago. The guy said he got it when he renewed with Freedom Mobile and they gave it to him for free.

May 30, 2017
752 posts
325 upvotes
Brampton, Mount Plea…
I just discovered something after going through my emails.

I potentially know the name of a guy who sold me a blacklisted phone without my knowledge. His name is listed on an Interac transfer.

This was in 2013 and I've since sold the phone (don't worry, I made sure the guy who bought it off me for $50 knew it was blacklisted and can't work in North America or Europe). Could he have used a fake name? Is that possible if you're going through Interac?

I wonder if I should try to dig him up via Facebook. I know which university he attended when he sold me that phone.
Sep 17, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
cellnerd wrote: I just discovered something after going through my emails.

I potentially know the name of a guy who sold me a blacklisted phone without my knowledge. His name is listed on an Interac transfer.

This was in 2013 and I've since sold the phone (don't worry, I made sure the guy who bought it off me for $50 knew it was blacklisted and can't work in North America or Europe). Could he have used a fake name? Is that possible if you're going through Interac?

I wonder if I should try to dig him up via Facebook. I know which university he attended when he sold me that phone.
Maybe local police / authorities can help? Don't directly contact him, might put you in danger / unfavourable spot (stalking, etc).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)