• Jun 10th, 2018 11:31 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27952 posts
877 upvotes
Dildo, NL
shplad wrote:
May 15th, 2018 12:18 am
....(As a bonus, Paypal currently has that offer active in which they pay for return shipping if you're not happy, or there's a problem.)...
that's amazing. This is definitely one of the biggest kickers. What do I do if it's coming from China and I'll have to pay 2-3x's what I paid to ship it back? lol. I'm impressed.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Nov 7, 2003
549 posts
68 upvotes
Hey Guys... question for you.

Looking at an iPhone on Kijiji.... it's new and has a receipt from the Apple Store so no contract.

Is there a safe way to buy this phone, or can the original purchaser still report the phone stolen or blacklist it even though I have the phone and receipt?

Can I go the Apple Store and register it as mine?

Thanks!!!

VR
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12977 posts
1199 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why someone would sell a new iPhone for less than retail unless the seller is past the 14 day return period.

It may not matter if you have the receipt because you are not the original purchaser and it is the original purchaser that can have it blacklisted.

The Apple stores also supply warranty replacement phones and receipts for phones that were purchased from the carrier.

Apple Stores do not register phone's to a particular name.

There is always a risk when buying a phone, even if it is BNIB.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1315 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Technically speaking, if we buy a blacklisted phone that was reported stolen, arent we in posession of stolen property? If someone reports a stolen phone and then sells it, arent they essentially committing fraud?
The laws in this country for buying used smart phones needs to change.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1071 posts
89 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 3:10 pm
Not sure why someone would sell a new iPhone for less than retail unless the seller is past the 14 day return period.

It may not matter if you have the receipt because you are not the original purchaser and it is the original purchaser that can have it blacklisted.

The Apple stores also supply warranty replacement phones and receipts for phones that were purchased from the carrier.

Apple Stores do not register phone's to a particular name.

There is always a risk when buying a phone, even if it is BNIB.
if you have the proof of purchase from the original owner, you can bring it to a carrier store and they can verify and remove from blacklisted number list.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12977 posts
1199 upvotes
Toronto
tetris wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 8:26 pm
if you have the proof of purchase from the original owner, you can bring it to a carrier store and they can verify and remove from blacklisted number list.
Never heard of this being done before. What if the phone is from Rogers and I'm a bell customer? Do you know if I should go to bell or Rogers? This information should be added to the sticky. Thank you.