• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 6:23 pm
Sep 17, 2009
214 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2018 7:30 pm
You could have done that too by checking the IMEI blacklist? Not sure what apple does differently since they can't guarantee it won't be blacklisted later which is unfortunate.

The phone could still be blacklisted days or weeks later even after performing a check.
Be careful ..if phone is not blacklisted, it doesn't guarantee you anything ..On other hand, if somebody is willing come to Apple store without any problem, it gives me confidence the phone should be clean. When I bought phone on Kijji, I asked seller to show me some ID before we did final transaction.

If you are buying on Kijji and other side is not comfortable coming to Apple store, stay away of deal ...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13990 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
As a seller or buyer, what would happen at the Apple store other than having the Apple employee run a diagnostic?

As far as I know, Apple doesn't blacklist phones from being used on a carrier network.

Blacklisting can happen with new phones too: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/can-non- ... d-2202747/
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1701 posts
1224 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
I think buying a blacklisted phone isn't bad if you don't need it as a phone and just a hand held PDA and media device. Like if you bought it off say an owner who did not pay their bill and not stolen. Like the idea of having a separate compact media device and not eat up your main phone battery.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Apr 5, 2015
924 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Interested in purchasing a flagship phone from Kijiji.

Is it safe enough if I get the receipt and photo of the seller's ID?
Apr 5, 2015
924 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi guys,

Interested in purchasing a flagship phone from Kijiji.

Is it safe enough if I get the receipt and photo of the seller's ID? He said he would be willing to provide those to me (whatever makes me feel more comfortable).

Sounds fishy? Is there still a risk even though I got a receipt and his driver's license?

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13990 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
As a seller, I would never allow anyone to take a photo of my ID. If I was a scammer, I would just show you fake ID and a fake invoice.

I will not buy a flagship phone from Kijiji. Too risky for me.
Apr 5, 2015
924 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 9:00 am
As a seller, I would never allow anyone to take a photo of my ID. If I was a scammer, I would just show you fake ID and a fake invoice.

I will not buy a flagship phone from Kijiji. Too risky for me.
True, I guess. But wouldn't it be extremely hard to fake an invoice yet alone an ID? I'd be able to see the guy's face.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13990 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt any seller, legit or not, is going to let you take a photo of their ID. What do you do if the person doesn't have any photo ID?

If you were selling a flagship phone would you let a buyer, who you don't know, take a photo of your ID?

Invoices from many retailers are printed from a laser printer in black and white. It would be easy to take a real invoice, scan it, alter it in Photoshop, and reprint it.

In the end, the buyer needs to determine the amount of risk he or she is willing to assume to get the phone and save a few dollars.
Apr 5, 2015
924 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 9:45 am
I doubt any seller, legit or not, is going to let you take a photo of their ID. What do you do if the person doesn't have any photo ID?

If you were selling a flagship phone would you let a buyer, who you don't know, take a photo of your ID?

Invoices from many retailers are printed from a laser printer in black and white. It would be easy to take a real invoice, scan it, alter it in Photoshop, and reprint it.

In the end, the buyer needs to determine the amount of risk he or she is willing to assume to get the phone and save a few dollars.
Yeah agreed the receipt can be photoshopped easily.

He offered me to take a photo of his ID, I didn't ask him.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13990 posts
1614 upvotes
Toronto
Which phone and what's the price?
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5248 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
futabasan wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 10:09 am
Yeah agreed the receipt can be photoshopped easily.

He offered me to take a photo of his ID, I didn't ask him.
In my line of work, fraudsters always offer up their ID because it's usually fake or stolen. It's up to you whether or not it's worth the risk.
Apr 5, 2015
924 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah, maybe not worth the risk since I can go the Koodo route for $680.

It's the P20 pro for $650.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4658 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
providing ID and invoice wont do u any good. They can just call in reporting the phone stolen and ur phone will be bricked.

the best solution here is to determine what you can do once your phone gets bricked (blacklisted)
Apr 5, 2015
924 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Havo wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 10:12 am
In my line of work, fraudsters always offer up their ID because it's usually fake or stolen. It's up to you whether or not it's worth the risk.
Thanks, I'm probably not gonna take the risk lols. I know RFDers are cautious and I should be too.. $600+ is not a small chunk or money :)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4658 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
futabasan wrote:
Jul 19th, 2018 10:23 am
Thanks, I'm probably not gonna take the risk lols. I know RFDers are cautious and I should be too.. $600+ is not a small chunk or money :)
just got the phone yesterday, been playing around with it, and coming from a s8+, its not that impressive. Photos are heavily processed.