• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 6:23 pm
May 8, 2009
6948 posts
3103 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jaiminwastaken wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 9:28 pm
I'm thinking of buying a sealed unlocked phone from someone. They said it was a gift from a client. I'm wondering if it's possible for them to report it lost or stolen and get it blacklisted.
Yes.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14054 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
jaiminwastaken wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 10:01 pm
Alrighty. So I'm just assuming I just avoid purchasing it all together?
It really depends on the phone, price, seller, etc. I would be willing to gamble on a $200 phone but that is about my limit.
Jan 1, 2010
67 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought a brand new Samsung A8 for about $285 a couple of days ago. The guy said he got it when he renewed with Freedom Mobile and they gave it to him for free.

I looked around on Kijiji and lots of the same phone floating around from $300 - $500. I checked out the IMEI and I also saw the contract on his phone with the IMEI listed on there. The box was still sealed and we opened it together when I agreed to buy the phone. I put in my SIM and it worked so I agreed to buy it. He gave me his number afterwards and told me to contact him if there were any issues after. He told me his first name, but after reading through the horror stories I scoured through Linkedin and Facebook still I found this guy. It was pretty easy cuz at this point I pretty much know his full name, his gf's name, dad's name etc (apparently he doesn't use privacy settings on Facebook). I kept the conversations on Kijiji as evidence as well. Have I covered my bases?

I am guessing I am screwed if he decides to blacklist the phone. I have my contract with Telus and I just needed a good midrange to tide me over till i can upgrade.

My question is there a way I can transfer the IMEI ownership to my name so he won't be able to blacklist it later? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14054 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
You cannot transfer the imei to yourself to prevent blacklisting.
Aug 31, 2007
416 posts
67 upvotes
ninja_warrior wrote:
Sep 10th, 2018 6:53 pm
I just bought a brand new Samsung A8 for about $285 a couple of days ago. The guy said he got it when he renewed with Freedom Mobile and they gave it to him for free.

I looked around on Kijiji and lots of the same phone floating around from $300 - $500. I checked out the IMEI and I also saw the contract on his phone with the IMEI listed on there. The box was still sealed and we opened it together when I agreed to buy the phone. I put in my SIM and it worked so I agreed to buy it. He gave me his number afterwards and told me to contact him if there were any issues after. He told me his first name, but after reading through the horror stories I scoured through Linkedin and Facebook still I found this guy. It was pretty easy cuz at this point I pretty much know his full name, his gf's name, dad's name etc (apparently he doesn't use privacy settings on Facebook). I kept the conversations on Kijiji as evidence as well. Have I covered my bases?

I am guessing I am screwed if he decides to blacklist the phone. I have my contract with Telus and I just needed a good midrange to tide me over till i can upgrade.

My question is there a way I can transfer the IMEI ownership to my name so he won't be able to blacklist it later? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of people are getting A5/A8 uber cheap right now on contracts, especially with koodo with their migration event atm.
I think ur safe.
Jan 1, 2010
67 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
darksideleader wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 8:22 pm
A lot of people are getting A5/A8 uber cheap right now on contracts, especially with koodo with their migration event atm.
I think ur safe.
ok great, hey thanks for that. I appreciate it. I'll just hang on to this info just in case.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19532 posts
1236 upvotes
I wouldn't worry about it. Shady people are hesitant to give any info out, use fake names and numbers. To me, it doesn't sound like this guy is is shady. His story seems and sounds legit. Lots of people get contract renewals with a $0 phone, and then flip it for some cash. Nothing wrong with that.
ninja_warrior wrote:
Sep 10th, 2018 6:53 pm

May 30, 2017
436 posts
127 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
I just discovered something after going through my emails.

I potentially know the name of a guy who sold me a blacklisted phone without my knowledge. His name is listed on an Interac transfer.

This was in 2013 and I've since sold the phone (don't worry, I made sure the guy who bought it off me for $50 knew it was blacklisted and can't work in North America or Europe). Could he have used a fake name? Is that possible if you're going through Interac?

I wonder if I should try to dig him up via Facebook. I know which university he attended when he sold me that phone.
Sep 17, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
cellnerd wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 3:43 pm
I just discovered something after going through my emails.

I potentially know the name of a guy who sold me a blacklisted phone without my knowledge. His name is listed on an Interac transfer.

This was in 2013 and I've since sold the phone (don't worry, I made sure the guy who bought it off me for $50 knew it was blacklisted and can't work in North America or Europe). Could he have used a fake name? Is that possible if you're going through Interac?

I wonder if I should try to dig him up via Facebook. I know which university he attended when he sold me that phone.
Maybe local police / authorities can help? Don't directly contact him, might put you in danger / unfavourable spot (stalking, etc).
May 30, 2017
436 posts
127 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
JohnDough wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2018 1:42 am
Maybe local police / authorities can help? Don't directly contact him, might put you in danger / unfavourable spot (stalking, etc).
Good idea. But I'm not sure the police would be interested unless I could prove he stole phones and sold them.

Unfortunately I can't find him anywhere even though he has a unique name. Checked LinkedIn. Only one guy with that name and he isn't in Canada. Checked Facebook. 3 results, one very popular dude in Toronto and 2 other dudes not in Canada. Popular dude doesn't look like the guy I remember.

This guy may have used an alias of some sort. I do remember he had a lot of phone ads on Kijiji at the time. Really wish I asked him more about himself.

My last idea is to ask the university he attended. They may or may not cooperate. Maybe he's long since left the country. It's been 6 years.
Jun 27, 2012
784 posts
74 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
1: Meet seller at their home. No meeting at a coffee shop. (If you have to meet outside ask for proof of vehicle ownership and write #'s down on the receipt.)

2: Of course you will check the serial number but that is only for that instant. You need protection in the future. You need proof you bought it from that very person. Only a signed receipt with ID is verifiable. If they won't write down their Driver's License number on the receipt, walk away. Agree to this before going over. Original receipts can be forged so don't put too much stock in them. Anyone with a printer and good graphics skills can make up anything they want to look original. Its great if they have it but its not a guarantee.

3: Does the seller possess knowledge of the product? Most scammers are woefully ignorant of what they are selling. Ask lots of questions - by voice of course - don't let someone hide behind text. You need to hear their reaction times. With text they have time to look stuff up.

4: Location can also be a clue. If they are in a crime ridden area they may be a very obvious reason for that. But also realize that a nice area doesn't mean much. Also many sellers sell stolen stuff without even knowing it. They were trusting when they purchased so they seem very trustworthy and virtuous when they are selling it.

5: Lastly, if you buy lots of stuff used you will come out so far ahead over time that when you do get scammed you are still far ahead of the sucker that cowers and quakes and retreats to a store to get fleeced. And the more you buy used the sharper you get at it so fraud is reduced further. People buy new mainly because of fear, lack of knowledge and lack of time.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4668 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
are there any services around that could unblock a blacklisted phone? in the event it does get blacklisted later on.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
2783 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 11:47 pm
are there any services around that could unblock a blacklisted phone? in the event it does get blacklisted later on.
No such thing I believe.. But you can sell the phone on eBay or use it in another country.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16619 posts
5170 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 11:47 pm
Blacklisted phones can be unblacklisted by the carrier that put it on the blacklist. You would need to convince them that it should not have been blacklisted in the first place. Usually it is due to some sort of non payment.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank