Cell Phones

Buying phones on Kijiji - Blacklisted

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 6:23 pm
Apr 23, 2014
409 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just want to add that not all sellers are bad.

Someone I know sold the phone and was handed fake currency. Luckily, after we were able to block the phone (i wonder if it worked?) but he may have sold it to someone else. So someone can also sell you a stolen phone, that's why they say need it gone tonight etc, before we come to find the currency was fake or whatever.
Mar 21, 2016
92 posts
20 upvotes
Yvr
will888 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 7:58 am
Blacklisted phones can be unblacklisted by the carrier that put it on the blacklist. You would need to convince them that it should not have been blacklisted in the first place. Usually it is due to some sort of non payment.

What happens if it's due to non payment? remove from blacklist?
Sep 4, 2018
1 posts
How can Orchard guarantee the phones it sells will not get blacklisted? Don't they just buy used phones from people just like how we would buy used phones from kijiji or craigslist? Do they have some sort of partnership with the telecom companies?
May 22, 2017
4 posts
Guys,
Bought an iPhone 8 on Kijiji for $700. and the person declared stolen to get a new one through insurance.
It had 3 months of usage with 11 minths of warranty so it was a good deal but it was still under Roger's contract which I didnt know neither asked for a receipt.
I created a police report and talked with the insurance that Rogers has partnership with, Brightstar. They located the person throught the IMEI and cancelled her insurance policy. They said she declared stolen one day after she sold it to me so I didnt see a bad IMEI.
However the insurance said they can only unblacklisted through the court.

Funny thing is they protected themselves but another person (myself) is the most jeopardized.
They told me that they can reveal her identity only tonthe police or a investigator.
I think this legal process would cost more than this device.

Sharing for raise an awereness about the risk of fraud.

If anyone has an opinion on how I should proceed for now let me know.

Bought it for my brother who lives in Brazil and it doesnt work in there.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14050 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
ldovale wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 5:14 pm
Guys,
Bought an iPhone 8 on Kijiji for $700. and the person declared stolen to get a new one through insurance.
It had 3 months of usage with 11 minths of warranty so it was a good deal but it was still under Roger's contract which I didnt know neither asked for a receipt.
I created a police report and talked with the insurance that Rogers has partnership with, Brightstar. They located the person throught the IMEI and cancelled her insurance policy. They said she declared stolen one day after she sold it to me so I didnt see a bad IMEI.
However the insurance said they can only unblacklisted through the court.

Funny thing is they protected themselves but another person (myself) is the most jeopardized.
They told me that they can reveal her identity only tonthe police or a investigator.
I think this legal process would cost more than this device.

Sharing for raise an awereness about the risk of fraud.

If anyone has an opinion on how I should proceed for now let me know.

Bought it for my brother who lives in Brazil and it doesnt work in there.
All you can do is sell it on eBay for parts or to someone overseas where it will work.
Nov 9, 2006
424 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
I'm selling a car on kijiji for $1000 and I got a message to trade my car for a pixel 3 xl. The guy showed me the bill from virgin which shows that the phone was bought outright with no subsidy, but it also shows that it is a new activation. What do you guys think? I really only wanted 500$ for the car, or is this too much of a risk?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14050 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
cfedu wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 10:14 am
I'm selling a car on kijiji for $1000 and I got a message to trade my car for a pixel 3 xl. The guy showed me the bill from virgin which shows that the phone was bought outright with no subsidy, but it also shows that it is a new activation. What do you guys think? I really only wanted 500$ for the car, or is this too much of a risk?
Doesn't matter if the person shows you a receipt as it could be a fake. Being purchased outright does not mean the person can't report it as being lost or stolen to his or her insurance company.

How long ago did the person get the phone? If they are within the return period, I don't see why the person doesn't return it and just give you $500 for the car.

Is your asking price of $500 lower or higher than the market price?
Nov 9, 2006
424 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
audit13 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 10:39 am
Doesn't matter if the person shows you a receipt as it could be a fake. Being purchased outright does not mean the person can't report it as being lost or stolen to his or her insurance company.

How long ago did the person get the phone? If they are within the return period, I don't see why the person doesn't return it and just give you $500 for the car.

Is your asking price of $500 lower or higher than the market price?
Asking price is $1000 for the car and the phone is in the return period. if I were to do the trade I would have to have an official bill of sale for the car since you need that to register the car in Alberta so we would have to exchange ID. I would also make a bill of sale for the phone. My gut instinct tells me something is wrong, as I would just return the phone if I Was in his shoes.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14050 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
cfedu wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:01 pm
Asking price is $1000 for the car and the phone is in the return period. if I were to do the trade I would have to have an official bill of sale for the car since you need that to register the car in Alberta so we would have to exchange ID. I would also make a bill of sale for the phone. My gut instinct tells me something is wrong, as I would just return the phone if I Was in his shoes.
It's really up to you. Since an exchange of ID is required to facilitate the car transaction, it's much less likely that phone will be blacklisted.
Nov 9, 2006
424 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
audit13 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:14 pm
It's really up to you. Since an exchange of ID is required to facilitate the car transaction, it's much less likely that phone will be blacklisted.

I was just wondering if this is a scam people have heard of before. Anyways once I mentioned the ID the buyer has not responded, most likely a scam IMO.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14050 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
cfedu wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 4:15 pm
I was just wondering if this is a scam people have heard of before. Anyways once I mentioned the ID the buyer has not responded, most likely a scam IMO.
Probably a scam if the person can return the phone and the person hasn't responded.

I stick with RFD for big dollar purchases and sales.
Nov 9, 2006
424 posts
94 upvotes
Montreal
audit13 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 4:44 pm
Probably a scam if the person can return the phone and the person hasn't responded.

I stick with RFD for big dollar purchases and sales.

For sure, ever since the blacklist was made I have never even bothered buying used phones, plus I'm happy with whatever Koodo deal I can find. I was almost tempted for this proposition for a Pixel 3 XL since $500 is all I will probably get for the car.