Cell Phones

Buying phones on Kijiji - Blacklisted

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2019 3:50 pm
Oct 21, 2013
269 posts
39 upvotes
North
This is enlightening. I’ve bought and sold at least 2 dozen phones on Kijiji over years. Never had a issue

Being a phone addict I hardly kee any phone for more than a few months. So Kijiji is a good option for me not to lose too much money. But after reading this I’m worried about getting new iPhone XS. Had a good deal on it $1000 for a new 64gb unlocked phone. Seller showed me the freedom. Mobile contract also. He also bought about 3 or 4 different phones from freedom at the same time. What happens if he ends up canceling the contract.

So ended up walking away.

Strange in my case. In Feb, bought my iPhone X from Kijiji - seller showed me bell contract. Didn’t even think of this issue and it is still working. May be I should t so this anymore.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5776 posts
1535 upvotes
GTA
I would stick to rogers or telus phones... avoid bell phones as they seem to blacklist historically for non payment, but one can go through to get it resolved but then you need some sorta paperwork that shows you are authorized owner of the phone, thats why i would be asking to do a contract for sale of phones on kijiji with driver licenses and also copy of all paperwork from the provider. If they say no, you just walk away.

I know some people who said they were not comfortable enough to share that info, red flag, so i walked away.
Jul 21, 2009
759 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
What happens with all the blacklisted phones in Canada? Do they just get re-sold over seas?

I am looking to get some newer phones as gifts for some extended family in Asia this holiday and was wondering if there is a place to buy discounted blacklisted phones? I see a lot on Kijiji but don't want to buy a stolen one...
Aug 8, 2003
894 posts
69 upvotes
Ontario
How safe is buying iPhone on Facebook marketplace?
Nov 24, 2016
881 posts
890 upvotes
LarryH92197 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 9:11 am
Warning : Private Sale Cellphones
In Sept 2018 I was looking at a Facebook Marketplace ad for an unlocked Samsung S9 Plus for sale & called Telus (my provider) and asked them to check the imei # which came back clean.
I then asked what could possibly happen down the road … could it be blacklisted still, anything to worry about?? The phone agent said to install my sim card when we meet and wait for it to recognize the Telus network (phone was originally a Bell phone) and working properly. At that time it would be locked to the Telus network and nothing to worry about. She also said to write up a bill of sale with the imei # and the seller's name, date and get her to sign it.
I made arrangements to meet and agreed on $750, spoke about the reason for selling etc & went our separate ways.
6 weeks later the phone stopped working... assuming it was a sim card issue I called Telus again & was told it was reported lost by Bell & contact the original owner to work it out. When I asked about what the other agent told me I was told that info was wrong & that it could be blacklisted at any time for any reason...the agent actually said that if the seller didn't like the colour of my hair he could have it blacklisted even if he told Bell so...
Long story short...I'm out $750, the seller won't respond & am waiting for Bell Fraud to call me back.
I don't expect much out of this just a warning to others
All the note is good for is small claims court. The carriers could care less about it. Only real way of 100% safe buying a phone of kijiji is if the selling paid outright for it at like oneplus or googles website etc. Or if they transfer their plan and phone to you, which defeats the point. I personally wouldn't buy a phone unless its from someone I know personally. I would trust rfd more than I trust kijijii but whenever I try to sell a phone here its more of a pain compared to kijiji.
Mar 7, 2011
305 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa
TheZodiac wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:04 pm
How safe is buying iPhone on Facebook marketplace?
Any private second-hand phone is the same. The seller can scam you if he wants, nothing you can do to prevent it.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2104 posts
247 upvotes
North Vancouver
there's still tons of people sell/buy phones in Craiglist or Kijiji not aware the blacklist thing.

Now lots of people willing to show ID for selling the phone, but so what? they won't let you took a picture of their ID right? so still there's nothing to prove to show to the phone carrier. Maybe a contract will help? or call carrier get some clueless rep said phone is not blacklist and won't be in the future, then record that phone call?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15304 posts
2210 upvotes
Toronto
ecgz88 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:07 pm
there's still tons of people sell/buy phones in Craiglist or Kijiji not aware the blacklist thing.

Now lots of people willing to show ID for selling the phone, but so what? they won't let you took a picture of their ID right? so still there's nothing to prove to show to the phone carrier. Maybe a contract will help? or call carrier get some clueless rep said phone is not blacklist and won't be in the future, then record that phone call?
Don't think doing any of these things will prevent the phone from being blacklisted.
Feb 23, 2019
1 posts
2 upvotes
This exact thing just happened to me. Bought an iphone, brand new in box, checked the IMEI number prior, etc etc etc. I have the contact name, address, and photo of the guy that sold it to me.... after a month of use (via telus), my service was shut off by bell (reported stolen)..... the guy that sold it to me already filed a police report because all of these "brand new phones" were sold to him by a "friend" that works at bell.... something seems super fishy.... everything i've read has been tracked back to Bell being the company to block these phones and take no responsibility.
Nov 24, 2016
881 posts
890 upvotes
LaurelL73597 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2019 10:32 pm
This exact thing just happened to me. Bought an iphone, brand new in box, checked the IMEI number prior, etc etc etc. I have the contact name, address, and photo of the guy that sold it to me.... after a month of use (via telus), my service was shut off by bell (reported stolen)..... the guy that sold it to me already filed a police report because all of these "brand new phones" were sold to him by a "friend" that works at bell.... something seems super fishy.... everything i've read has been tracked back to Bell being the company to block these phones and take no responsibility.
Probably an insurance scam. Bell can't really do anything if the guy that bought the phone calls in and says they lost it. As long as the it is attached to that account or they can show that they purchased the phone they can blacklist it.
Mar 18, 2011
887 posts
413 upvotes
Pickering
redflagguy2u wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 7:11 pm
1: Meet seller at their home. No meeting at a coffee shop. (If you have to meet outside ask for proof of vehicle ownership and write #'s down on the receipt.)

2: Of course you will check the serial number but that is only for that instant. You need protection in the future. You need proof you bought it from that very person. Only a signed receipt with ID is verifiable. If they won't write down their Driver's License number on the receipt, walk away. Agree to this before going over. Original receipts can be forged so don't put too much stock in them. Anyone with a printer and good graphics skills can make up anything they want to look original. Its great if they have it but its not a guarantee.

3: Does the seller possess knowledge of the product? Most scammers are woefully ignorant of what they are selling. Ask lots of questions - by voice of course - don't let someone hide behind text. You need to hear their reaction times. With text they have time to look stuff up.

4: Location can also be a clue. If they are in a crime ridden area they may be a very obvious reason for that. But also realize that a nice area doesn't mean much. Also many sellers sell stolen stuff without even knowing it. They were trusting when they purchased so they seem very trustworthy and virtuous when they are selling it.

5: Lastly, if you buy lots of stuff used you will come out so far ahead over time that when you do get scammed you are still far ahead of the sucker that cowers and quakes and retreats to a store to get fleeced. And the more you buy used the sharper you get at it so fraud is reduced further. People buy new mainly because of fear, lack of knowledge and lack of time.

Thanked for the useful tips, and the fact you posted this on my birthday ;)
Rule 1 of RFD: Do not talk about RFD.
Rule 2 of RFD: Do NOT. talk about. RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7809 posts
1809 upvotes
Scarberia
i would NEVER buy a big xpensive phone on kj, only 100$ or less so its not a big lost if bListed, most times the imei is clean when u bought it but down the road, u get dinged, too many scammers lol, plus i hate playing email or app tag with seller..i never give my real phone number
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @$39.99 no 60FPS 4k youtube :( using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Aug 8, 2003
894 posts
69 upvotes
Ontario
Is Facebook market place full of the same cesspool of scammers?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15304 posts
2210 upvotes
Toronto
I think Facebook is better than Kijiji but there will always be a chance that the phone will get blacklisted.

If you get an older phone, the chances of blacklisting go down as there is virtually no way a scammer can make money by reporting an older phone such as the iPhone 6s as lost or stolen.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4695 posts
818 upvotes
Montreal
Buying any phone of over 200 or 300 bucks is gambling no matter how trustworthy or presentable the seller may seem. The phone can always be blacklisted anytime afterwards (months even) so you'd end up with an expensive MP3 player.

Having said that, I would still sell phones over Kijiji or FB as I know I won't scam any of my buyers.