Buying phones on Kijiji - Blacklisted

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 1:37 pm
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 6:09 pm
Having the seller's ID helps immensely and greatly reduces the chances of being screwed. You may not necessarily have legal recourse, but think about it, would you be willing to show your DL to someone if you were either going to blacklist the phone, or knew it was going to be in the near future?

It's just a fact that it's a risk either way. The more information the seller can provide to you, the higher assurance you can have that it's a safe transaction, it's really as simple as that.
A lot of people are reluctant to show DL to a total stranger, however showing DL may work if both seller and buyer show their ids. That is until one of the party produce a fake id.
Oct 3, 2013
263 posts
155 upvotes
BC
bomber17 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 11:03 pm
The guy could've shown you a fraudulent ID that he used to activate the phone to begin with. A lot of people doing this type of fraud aren't regular people. They don't have a steady place of living and are probably renting one place to the other. They could care less if you go to the address as they probably don't live there anymore. And tbh, they probably know you have no legal recourse so they simply don't care if you do go straight to their house. You can call the cops, but fraudsters can say they sold the phone as is and anything that happens to it later on is on you.
Rofl, yes people, I realize that X, Y, or Z could happen. North Korea could also drop a bomb on the phone that is sold to you as well, and checking their receipt would be meaningless. The phone could also be built to self-destruct, and the information on their ID would be meaningless.

The point still stands, buying on a classifieds site is a risk, and you just need to take as many steps to safeguard against being scammed as possible. This includes getting phone numbers, names, IDs, receipts, license plates, etc. This doesn't necessarily have to be for legal recourse, but just as a way to gauge the trustworthiness from the average buyer. All these systems can be beat, yes, but if there was another means to safeguard yourself against scammers, we'd all be doing it.

Nothing is foolproof, but you do what you can, and if that risk is simply too much for you, buy it from an authorized (re)seller.
kaliman wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 1:04 am
A lot of people are reluctant to show DL to a total stranger, however showing DL may work if both seller and buyer show their ids. That is until one of the party produce a fake id.
Usually for items where a purchase is made under someone's name (i.e. sports/concert tickets, phones), people are usually amenable to showing an ID if requested (in my experience).
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26907 posts
6398 upvotes
GTHA
Cress wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 12:26 am
Might be a good idea at this point for the Mods to have a sticky thread about buying used phones...
You should post this suggestion in the 'Site Comments & Suggestions' forum

site-comments-suggestions-f13/
May 8, 2009
2254 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Since the concern is blacklisting, I don't see how showing ID will do much (aside proving the seller didn't steal the phone, and that would require original receipt as well, plus a receipt can be fabricated via doctoring).

As a seller with nothing to hide, I don't mind showing my d/l but would probably make it a two way deal. If they want to see my d/l, I'll want to see theirs. If they want a photo of my d/l, I'll take a photo of theirs. Only exception is obviously I can't reciprocate requesting for proof of purchase.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Mar 22, 2013
902 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
Why buy on Kijiji if you are worried of being scammed? Why even entertain that thought? Yes, prices will be cheaper but it comes with a "price" to pay.
====================================

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

====================================
May 8, 2009
2254 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
myinglin0318 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 8:46 am
Why buy on Kijiji if you are worried of being scammed? Why even entertain that thought? Yes, prices will be cheaper but it comes with a "price" to pay.
Some people rather shop on Kijiji, even if it's more expensive. Some people are wired to shop that way. It would take years of brainwashing to get them to understand that they can get phones for less than a case of beer or at least at massive discounts brand new from the big three.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4269 posts
488 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 6:23 am
Since the concern is blacklisting, I don't see how showing ID will do much (aside proving the seller didn't steal the phone, and that would require original receipt as well, plus a receipt can be fabricated via doctoring).

As a seller with nothing to hide, I don't mind showing my d/l but would probably make it a two way deal. If they want to see my d/l, I'll want to see theirs. If they want a photo of my d/l, I'll take a photo of theirs. Only exception is obviously I can't reciprocate requesting for proof of purchase.
If I sell a phone of over $500, I probably bring the buyer to view the phone and test it in the garage of my own house. "Feel free to ask question". My street has 80% older folks and I am one of them
There is a slight chance of security/credit issue in giving DL info to buyer.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11076 posts
1158 upvotes
London
I've been buying/selling phones on Kijiji for the better part of a decade a d have never had someone blacklist a phone on me(literally several hundred phones)
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 1:36 am
Usually for items where a purchase is made under someone's name (i.e. sports/concert tickets, phones), people are usually amenable to showing an ID if requested (in my experience).
That's true. There is a need to show proof of ownership if the name of purchaser/owner is shown on the merchandise (tickets).
Feb 27, 2014
289 posts
46 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 11:39 am
I've been buying/selling phones on Kijiji for the better part of a decade a d have never had someone blacklist a phone on me(literally several hundred phones)
Good point. Only those sales that turned bad (blacklisted) got posted here. People don't post Kijiji's cell phone sales that has no problems. So the actual percentage of blacklisted phones sold on Kijiji is not known. It could be 1 out of 100 cell phones sold on Kijiji. Or 1 out of 1000 cell phones sold on Kijiji.
Jun 18, 2017
214 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow when I got my last phone on craigslist I thought it was weird that the guy gave me his receipt with full personal information on it, but I guess he was trying to be reassuring.
That's my name...
Jan 8, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
I'd make sure the conversation got flipped to real e-mail before making the purchase. Also a good idea to exchange texts. (yes, they could use a burner, but that coupled with an e-mail?).

Having a phone blacklisted after selling it is fraud (it's the equivalent to stealing). The police can subpoena the cell records from the carrier and the e-mail records from the mail poster and the associated ISP when they view the mail headers.

People knowingly selling stolen phones actually can't do that as they don't have that relationship with the originating carrier.

As for what to do with blacklisted devices that you DID purchase from the rightful owner? Once the police have been involved they should be able to get the carrier to have the blacklist cleared. (It's a database maintained by the GSMA - the originating carriers can clear the entry if it's justified - ie. the phone was blacklisted erroneously).
Jun 26, 2007
182 posts
46 upvotes
The way you can avoid this scam is to get a signed bill of sale when you buy a phone off of Kijiji. And if you're really paranoid ask them to confirm their identity with photo ID as well. If the seller is legit, they'll be willing to give you a bill of sale. Although I probably wouldn't be buying a phone for hundreds of dollars on Kijiji, if new phones are on there they're quite often stolen.
Banned
Oct 9, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
Then brother in law is lucky, he bought 2 iphones from kijiji, and he didn't get black listed
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3666 posts
855 upvotes
Debtario
Just like with watches, buy the seller, not the phone! Dealing with reputable sellers is key.
OpenMobile wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 8:28 pm
Having a phone blacklisted after selling it is fraud (it's the equivalent to stealing). The police can subpoena the cell records from the carrier and the e-mail records from the mail poster and the associated ISP when they view the mail headers.
That is incorrect, fraud would be the seller taking the money and walking without giving you a phone. You get a phone, but it is not what you expected since it's blacklisted, it becomes a civil matter between you and the seller. The police won't help unless there is outright theft, even then there has to be violence/weapons/threats involved for it to be taken seriously enough to involve subpoenas from service providers.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"