Cell Phones

Buying phones on Kijiji - Blacklisted

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2018 9:00 am
Jan 28, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
They're going to hand you a new (refurbished) phone to replace yours, which will have a different imei number and won't be blacklisted.

Not a bad option and at least you'll have a working phone with a 3 month warranty that won't be blacklisted again.
Jul 14, 2009
200 posts
10 upvotes
Downtown, Toronto
MrBarkers wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:08 pm
They're going to hand you a new (refurbished) phone to replace yours, which will have a different imei number and won't be blacklisted.

Not a bad option and at least you'll have a working phone with a 3 month warranty that won't be blacklisted again.
A full replacement? An iPhone 7 for an iPhone 7? Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just not familiar with the process.
Jan 28, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
That's correct. You can always contact them to find out more. Tell them you dropped your phone in water and it's not working properly or something, and they'll give you a new iPhone 7 for your phone and $409
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14596 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
blueflame wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 9:27 pm
Just tried my luck on the Bell mobility customer line. Pretty much useless.

There were some questions they couldn't answer for me and this is really concerning.

1. If I bought the phone and it is blacklisted a month later, why did the owner take so long to report it stolen? I doubt it takes a month to get a phone on a blacklist.

2. If I bought the phone legally (last time I checked Kijiji isn't illegal) then why am I the one that is punished? If the original owner actually lost the phone then it is their problem and Bell shouldn't have the ability kill the phone!
Sure, block the SIM card (this phone didn't come with a SIM card in it) so I can't use their plan but why would you brick the phone? This is just nonsense!

3. If I have the phone why is Bell not asking me to bring it to a store to return to the owner? They told me they can see the account that is attached to the IMEI and they have me on the line but they refuse to act as an intermediary between me and the other party who "lost" their phone.

I will take sk2003 advice and I will raise a stick about this.
To answer your points one by one:

1 - People will make up all kinds of excuses as to why they waited so long to report the phone stolen. "I was on vacation for a month, didn't bring it with me, only noticed it was stolen when I got back" is a common enough one.
2 - Nobody cares where you bought the phone. Technically, you're in possession of stolen goods. As for why lost phones get on the blacklist as well as stolen ones? The rationale behind that is to encourage people that find the phone to return it to the original owner, as opposed to just wiping it and selling it on Kijiji. The whole theory behind the blacklist is to reduce the resale market for stolen phones. Of course, it doesn't, particularly. But it really kills the market for legit buyers and sellers.
3 - As I've said before - the carriers don't *really* care about reducing phone theft. All they care about is that people buy more phones new from them instead of buying used.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jul 14, 2009
200 posts
10 upvotes
Downtown, Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:42 pm
To answer your points one by one:

1 - People will make up all kinds of excuses as to why they waited so long to report the phone stolen. "I was on vacation for a month, didn't bring it with me, only noticed it was stolen when I got back" is a common enough one.
2 - Nobody cares where you bought the phone. Technically, you're in possession of stolen goods. As for why lost phones get on the blacklist as well as stolen ones? The rationale behind that is to encourage people that find the phone to return it to the original owner, as opposed to just wiping it and selling it on Kijiji. The whole theory behind the blacklist is to reduce the resale market for stolen phones. Of course, it doesn't, particularly. But it really kills the market for legit buyers and sellers.
3 - As I've said before - the carriers don't *really* care about reducing phone theft. All they care about is that people buy more phones new from them instead of buying used.
1 - The phone was brand new in its original box, plastic still on the screen, cables still coiled, etc. Box had been open but nothing else. "I bought a new phone but decided not to use what so ever and then noticed it was missing almost a month later?"

2 - Encouraging me to actually return the phone would only work if I had found the phone on the ground or something. But since I paid for it this really doesn't work. What incentive do I have to give back something I paid for?
That's the mentality I have right now at least.

3 - That isn't a reason that they can say to the public, they must have a proper answer to this. What would they say if a lawyer or government agency asked them this question?

Maybe I'm over thinking all this but this isn't right, something has to give.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13651 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
Apple checked the imei to ensure it is not blacklisted and to confirm whether the phone is locked to a carrier. This is what the apple person did the last three times I brought in phones for friends and family.
Jul 14, 2009
200 posts
10 upvotes
Downtown, Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 9:39 am
Apple checked the imei to ensure it is not blacklisted and to confirm whether the phone is locked to a carrier. This is what the apple person did the last three times I brought in phones for friends and family.
I've read that they look for this as well so I'm not so sure that I can just walk in and ask for a replacement phone as was previously suggested.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2052 posts
919 upvotes
blueflame wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 4:41 pm
I've read that they look for this as well so I'm not so sure that I can just walk in and ask for a replacement phone as was previously suggested.
What's the worst thing that can happen if you try? They will say no. So what? At least you have a chance of getting an incompetent employee.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4825 posts
1025 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
blueflame wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 1:05 pm
I'll start by saying that yes this was a stupid decision on my part and I don't need sympathy but
I'll warn everybody to NOT buy phones off Kijiji or any other platform like such for that matter.
(RFDs I'd only trust if the user has an older account with some previous transactions on it.)

Last month my girlfriend bought an iPhone 7 (with my help) off Kijiji. I thought I had done enough research to make an informed decision on buying one online but yesterday her phone got blacklisted.
When I went to the Bell store they said it was reported stolen.

I've talked with Bell, Kijiji, the cops, and Apple.

Bell could only tell me the phone was reported stolen, nothing else.
They wouldn't even flag the original owners account or anything.

Kijiji obviously can't reimburse me and only flagged the account of the seller
(the seller's profile said he had been a member since 2011 so never trust the length they've been on the platform).

TPS told me they couldn't do anything, they had bigger fish to fry, can't prosecute people for selling things on Kijiji, etc.

Apple support surprising told me that I should have no problem just going to the carrier and asking for a replacement phone.
This doesn't sound right to me but she did understand my situation (she was in the states, maybe it's different there?)

Question is why are scammers able to get away with this? How has this not been addressed, it's a loophole/gray-area call it what you will.
To my understanding these scammers will buy a new phone, sell it, report it stolen a month later and get a payout from an insurance company? Or will get into a 2 year contract with a fraudulent ID and sell the phone then not pay the phone off.

PS- If someone has an idea of what I can do with this phone now let me know. I've heard that I could get some money selling in internationally but haven't looked into too much.

EDIT: spelling
Sorry to hear that, I hope you learned your lesson and please pass you experience to your friends and and family about buying stuffs. Yes your iphone will works outside North America if its already unlock easy to sell. Call the provider if they can unlock it for you

Freedom Mobile

Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3031 posts
391 upvotes
GTA
blueflame wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:12 pm
1 - The phone was brand new in its original box, plastic still on the screen, cables still coiled, etc. Box had been open but nothing else. "I bought a new phone but decided not to use what so ever and then noticed it was missing almost a month later?"
Did the imei on the phone match the imei on the box?
Jul 14, 2009
200 posts
10 upvotes
Downtown, Toronto
shabby wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:15 am
Did the imei on the phone match the imei on the box?
Yes it does.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3031 posts
391 upvotes
GTA
Hmm that's unfortunate, figured with a box and matching imei it would be legit, seems like that phone fell off a truck.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2477 posts
1312 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
shabby wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 7:42 pm
Hmm that's unfortunate, figured with a box and matching imei it would be legit, seems like that phone fell off a truck.
Not really. There's tons of phones bought with fraudulent IDs that will have the box and phone matching IMEI and sealed.

People wait a month later to report just so it's not as obvious. Like right now you're questioning why they took a month later as it's not normal. Plus as time goes by, you may have forgotten the guy's info so it increases his chances of not getting caught. Some even wait 2-3 months later.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3877 posts
550 upvotes
blueflame wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 9:27 pm
If the original owner actually lost the phone then it is their problem and Bell shouldn't have the ability kill the phone!
Sure, block the SIM card (this phone didn't come with a SIM card in it) so I can't use their plan but why would you brick the phone?
- Odds are that the Bell (which outsources their call centres to India) rep on the phone just told you that to get you off the line. Telling a customer that the previous owner had reported it stolen isn't really something that's done, and it would require from Bell's side checking the original owner's account. Unless Bell currently uses a different/newer internal system, they can't just search for IMEIs and have a screen of results.

- If the original owner was legit, there's no rational reason for the person to report the phone stolen. The only person to be harmed would be you. Bell wouldn't replace stolen phones because that's not their problem.

- The fact that you can't even contact the seller anymore suggests that he had created a fake account for the purpose of engaging in fraud.

- Odds are much more likely that the original person obtained the phone fraudulently. Bell (corporate in Canada) discovered this and shut down the account, the IMEI and the phone. Internally it's reported as stolen.

- The Bell rep on the phone doesn't want to tell you that you purchased a stolen phone. That's just bad customer service. But at the same time it isn't Bell's fault that you got scammed.

Just consider this a lesson learned about not buying things from unknown people and move on.