• Dec 13th, 2018 9:20 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15259 posts
5671 upvotes
Oakville
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 10:10 pm
- If the original owner was legit, there's no rational reason for the person to report the phone stolen. The only person to be harmed would be you. Bell wouldn't replace stolen phones because that's not their problem.
Does Bell not have a stolen phone insurance program?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 7, 2016
181 posts
44 upvotes
Canada
wearysky wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 10:24 pm
Does Bell not have a stolen phone insurance program?
If purchased with the phone, yeah.
Oct 10, 2016
163 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you check the imei at the imei checker website?
Jan 13, 2014
979 posts
315 upvotes
Calgary
RobertL130 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 11:01 pm
Did you check the imei at the imei checker website?
That's absolutely useless if the phone was blacklisted a month later.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4631 posts
2142 upvotes
You didn't buy it online. You bought it in person. You gave cash. If it was online, there would be third parties like eBay, PayPal, your bank to protect you. Kijiji won't give you any money because they weren't actually involved in the transaction.

The phone was reported stolen, Do you have proof that you bought the phone from its real owner, or proof that you even bought it from someone by paying them? As far as Bell is concerned, you are in possession of a stolen phone.

"I thought I had done enough research"

Did you even get the seller's real name or the sales receipt, which probably would have included the seller's real phone number (at least TELUS receipts do)?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2739 posts
604 upvotes
Quebec
this story piss me off really, i just DONT understand why there is SOOO MUCH, scammer, looser like that in our society...these fraud are rarely punished, so unethical people keep doing it. this is just too sad.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3893 posts
652 upvotes
Aurora
blueflame wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:12 pm
Please stop, you're making too much sense.

1 - The phone was brand new in its original box, plastic still on the screen, cables still coiled, etc. Box had been open but nothing else. "I bought a new phone but decided not to use what so ever and then noticed it was missing almost a month later?"

2 - Encouraging me to actually return the phone would only work if I had found the phone on the ground or something. But since I paid for it this really doesn't work. What incentive do I have to give back something I paid for?
That's the mentality I have right now at least.

3 - That isn't a reason that they can say to the public, they must have a proper answer to this. What would they say if a lawyer or government agency asked them this question?

Maybe I'm over thinking all this but this isn't right, something has to give.
Well, since this is such a well known potential problem, the logical solution to this is...don't buy phones from kijiji.

What's that saying again...oh yeah, Caveat Emptor!
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3893 posts
652 upvotes
Aurora
wearysky wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 10:42 pm
To answer your points one by one:

1 - People will make up all kinds of excuses as to why they waited so long to report the phone stolen. "I was on vacation for a month, didn't bring it with me, only noticed it was stolen when I got back" is a common enough one.
2 - Nobody cares where you bought the phone. Technically, you're in possession of stolen goods. As for why lost phones get on the blacklist as well as stolen ones? The rationale behind that is to encourage people that find the phone to return it to the original owner, as opposed to just wiping it and selling it on Kijiji. The whole theory behind the blacklist is to reduce the resale market for stolen phones. Of course, it doesn't, particularly. But it really kills the market for legit buyers and sellers.
3 - As I've said before - the carriers don't *really* care about reducing phone theft. All they care about is that people buy more phones new from them instead of buying used.
Please stop, you are making too much sense.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1568 posts
325 upvotes
Such a disgusting practice and really makes people lose faith in society. OP, so sorry to hear of your experience. It's been years since I bought a phone on Kijiji, and when I did, while the phone broke soon after, it was at least a working phone with no trouble.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15259 posts
5671 upvotes
Oakville
blueflame wrote:
1 - The phone was brand new in its original box, plastic still on the screen, cables still coiled, etc. Box had been open but nothing else. "I bought a new phone but decided not to use what so ever and then noticed it was missing almost a month later?"

2 - Encouraging me to actually return the phone would only work if I had found the phone on the ground or something. But since I paid for it this really doesn't work. What incentive do I have to give back something I paid for?
That's the mentality I have right now at least.

3 - That isn't a reason that they can say to the public, they must have a proper answer to this. What would they say if a lawyer or government agency asked them this question?

Maybe I'm over thinking all this but this isn't right, something has to give.
1 - "I bought it before I went on vacation, but didn't get around to opening it and setting it up before I left on vacation" - not something I would do personally, but a perfectly valid possible reason. However, as mentioned already, it's possible that they just told you that to get you off the phone. It's much more likely that this phone was purchased using a stolen ID/credit card. I think that is a FAR more common scenario than people committing phone theft insurance fraud (it would be too easy to get caught doing that, IMO - though there ARE a lot of stupid criminals out there).
2 - Right, but as I said - the blacklist isn't there to protect people like you. It's there in theory to protect people whose phones get stolen (to discourage theft, but that hasn't happened) or lost (to discourage reselling a phone that you find on the street, and maybe that HAS happened, but I have no idea). It does nothing, unfortunately, to protect people who end up getting suckered into buying a phone that ends up blacklisted.
3 - I'm sure they have a handy dandy liability reason for their public reasoning for why they don't encourage people to return stolen goods to stores in order to get them back to customers. Their employees aren't responsible for hooking up phone thieves and phone owners, to return the phones. I'm sure if you returned the phone to a Bell store, they would indeed work to get it back to the original owner. But they aren't going to give you the original owner's contact info, or anything. As far as they are concerned, once it is reported stolen (or is flagged as a fraudulent account), it becomes an issue for the police to deal with. And as you have found, the police don't GAF about petty phone theft.

Basically - the blacklist is broken. There's nothing to prevent exactly your situation from happening. And it sucks, and it's the reason why I'll never buy a phone off Kijiji until the rules change. And I always discourage people from doing the same.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1431 posts
299 upvotes
What a racket, the blacklist only benefits carriers by killing the resale market. I've bought and sold phones on kijiji which all turned out fine. Mind you all my kijiji phone purchases are backup phones that are budget models >$100. If you are going to buy a daily high end phone I would stick to trusted sources like RFD.
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
330 upvotes
blueflame wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 1:05 pm
Last month my girlfriend bought an iPhone 7 (with my help) off Kijiji.
Gee wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 1:06 pm
Just curious. How much did you pay for the phone on Kijiji?
I'm also interested in how much less than retail she paid for it.

(Often a warning sign of a scam - the info might be helpful to other RFDer's.)
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28002 posts
935 upvotes
Dildo, NL
blueflame wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 9:27 pm
....3. If I have the phone why is Bell not asking me to bring it to a store to return to the owner? They told me they can see the account that is attached to the IMEI and they have me on the line but they refuse to act as an intermediary between me and the other party who "lost" their phone.
Good point. I sure as hell hope you're not expecting the owner to compensate you for your 'good will' in returning the phone.

You got scammed. Simple as that. I don't see why ANYONE else has to make it right for you. It's not Bells responsibility to. It's not Kijiji's fault, it's not the sellers fault. It's your fault.

Criminal behaviour will always be around. People trying to save money & not ask all the right q's before, are the fuel to the blackmarket industry.

Sorry OP., but that's the truth.

Find a country that doesn't subscribe to the blacklist world & sell to them.

Buy from Heatware or RFD established sellers. Simple as that.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28002 posts
935 upvotes
Dildo, NL
blueflame wrote:
1 - The phone was brand new in its original box, plastic still on the screen, cables still coiled, etc. Box had been open but nothing else....
This means the phone was stolen from a store, or bought fraudulently.

Hacked account, ordered a hup, shipped to new address, or walked into a store an did the hup with the replaced ID., or large scale theft from a store/vehicle/warehouse. Those are the only reasons phones get blacklisted. I've not heard about nonpayment. It's theft, either reported by the account holder, or Corporate.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...