• Apr 24th, 2018 11:02 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
13605 posts
4689 upvotes
Oakville
hvwozq wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 1:15 am
But if you shoplift a cheap item, they come after you?
Because you're caught in the store already, there is literally zero work for them to do. If you're caught on camera shoplifting and get away, and the store sends that video to the police, you know what the police will say to them?
bubble.tea wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 9:19 am
You got scammed. Simple as that. I don't see why ANYONE else has to make it right for you. It's not Bells responsibility to. It's not Kijiji's fault, it's not the sellers fault. It's your fault.
Well, technically it's the criminal's fault. OP was naive and got scammed, but the real at-fault party here is the criminal.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB recipient
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27814 posts
837 upvotes
Dildo, NL
^ lol., true., of course but really you would have no leg to stand on in court would you? No agreement, no implied conditions of sale. The seller can say 'as is' all along. It's not like a purchase of a house where you're obligated by law to disclose any issues therewith.

I wonder if there's any rules governing selling stolen/defective goods.

For all intents and purposes, nobody can prove with 0.000000000000001% certainty that the seller truly knew it was going to become blacklisted. The seller could've truly acquired it legitimately themself & simply passed it along.

This is why I'm saying it's nobodys fault but OP & OP is alone responsible to sort it out.

I hate that I'm not supporting OP more., but I seem to be comfortable saying this now. Just deal with reputable traders. I mean Jesus. How much is peace of mind & guarantee of interaction worth to you?

Let's guess how much OP spent on this 'bnib' i7?
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
13605 posts
4689 upvotes
Oakville
bubble.tea wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 11:12 am
^ lol., true., of course but really you would have no leg to stand on in court would you? No agreement, no implied conditions of sale. The seller can say 'as is' all along. It's not like a purchase of a house where you're obligated by law to disclose any issues therewith.

I wonder if there's any rules governing selling stolen/defective goods.

For all intents and purposes, nobody can prove with 0.000000000000001% certainty that the seller truly knew it was going to become blacklisted. The seller could've truly acquired it legitimately themself & simply passed it along.

This is why I'm saying it's nobodys fault but OP & OP is alone responsible to sort it out.
Well, if it was the original owner of the phone that sold it, and then reported it stolen, yes, it would be pretty easy to prove that they knew it was going to become blacklisted. :) Of course, the effort required to actually PROVE that the seller was the original owner (either buying it legit and committing insurance fraud, or by buying it fraudulently) is kind of a pain in the ass for the police (unless the buyer has some handy evidence, like a real email address, a photo of the perpetrator, their home address, etc), which is why they don't bother tracking it down. And I'm not going to bother going to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that knowingly selling stolen (or fraudulently obtained) items is a crime.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
3042 posts
313 upvotes
Hamilton
Ever since this blacklist scam list for the Telecoms came to be I only buy and sell phones with a copy of the receipt. It's not 100% full proof but it has worked out for me.
I blackout my address when I sell and my last name but the rest is there. I expect the same in turn.

Things have been good so far.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
13605 posts
4689 upvotes
Oakville
sidshock wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 4:32 pm
Ever since this blacklist scam list for the Telecoms came to be I only buy and sell phones with a copy of the receipt. It's not 100% full proof but it has worked out for me.
I blackout my address when I sell and my last name but the rest is there. I expect the same in turn.

Things have been good so far.
While this is theoretically a good idea, in practice it wouldn't be too hard for either method of scammer (insurance scammers, or stolen ID scammers) to still catch you. Obviously stolen ID scammers don't care if they give you the receipt. They know they bought it with fake information. And Bell isn't going to care if you have the original receipt from a fraudulent purchase. And an insurance scammer could just claim that the receipt was stolen when the phone was stolen (especially for BNIB sales that have never been registered to the network on their account).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2003
3042 posts
313 upvotes
Hamilton
wearysky wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 5:01 pm
While this is theoretically a good idea, in practice it wouldn't be too hard for either method of scammer (insurance scammers, or stolen ID scammers) to still catch you. Obviously stolen ID scammers don't care if they give you the receipt. They know they bought it with fake information. And Bell isn't going to care if you have the original receipt from a fraudulent purchase. And an insurance scammer could just claim that the receipt was stolen when the phone was stolen (especially for BNIB sales that have never been registered to the network on their account).
As I said. It is not 100% . But I never buy the cheapest too good to be true price. Or sell for such. I also eliminate a lot of scam seller except for the REALLY dedicated ones that do have a receipt for me. I also have only come across receipt showing purchases with credit card. A flagship phone bought with cash is a red flag. Yes can be a prepaid card. Again. That's an extra step. Hassle. It eliminates more scammers from my list.
It's been good. Vibe is also important. Some common sense.
YouTube videos to make sure it's not a clone is helpful. Ie: note 5 clones.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7647 posts
855 upvotes
I've bought 3 iPhones off third parties since the new blacklist rules... I haven't had a blacklisted phone (yet)

1 BNIB iPhone 7 256gb Rogers - RFD user, approx. 10 years since joining, around 200 posts (mostly in BST). No receipt. I regret making this purchase (no receipt) but nothing has gone wrong (yet ~ 6 months).

1 BNIB iPhone 7 plus 256gb Rogers - RFD user, 10 years since joining, around 150 posts (mostly in BST), + receipt. Would recommend buying this way.

1 BNIB Phone 7 plus 128gb Rogers - Kijiji, long account history (which probably doesn't matter). We met at his office. He was a realtor. +receipt. Would recommend buying this way.

I make them all sign a bill of sale as well (see attached).

I would never buy an iPhone off kijiji without a receipt. Especially some of those unlocked brand new ones going for significant less than other prices. You can almost tell which ones are from scammers because they're $400 cheaper than any reasonable person who got it as an HUP or otherwise would sell it.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 6.18.18 PM.png
Sep 26, 2007
346 posts
35 upvotes
Was wondering would it be possible for a seller to blacklist a phone after selling it someone (screwing over the buyer). For example, you met a kijiji seller for an iphone and paid them $700-800 and say shortly after he/she phones there provider and says there phone is stolen and for the provider blacklist it. This issue always got me weary of buying phones on kijiji cause there a lot of shady sellers.
Apr 13, 2007
494 posts
28 upvotes
toronto
Yes this scenario happens quite often. The seller can always call in 1 day, 1 week, or even 1 month from now and report it stolen then you're **** out of luck.
Oct 3, 2013
269 posts
160 upvotes
Yes, of course they can. That's the risk you take when buying a phone directly off of someone, unfortunately. If you're super suspicious, perhaps sneak a peak at their ID and commit the details to memory?
Sep 26, 2007
346 posts
35 upvotes
If the bought phone ends up getting black listed, can it ever be unblacklisted? Like showing the carrier/provider text message log of the sale communication.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12806 posts
1162 upvotes
Toronto
As far as I know, only the original purchaser can get it removed from the blacklist database.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11723 posts
1664 upvotes
Markham
kukkudo wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:46 pm
If the bought phone ends up getting black listed, can it ever be unblacklisted? Like showing the carrier/provider text message log of the sale communication.
Should be better to buy from another rfder with good rating
Or check get orchard
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1573 posts
220 upvotes
Unless buying from someone you know. Would not touch websites like Kijiji or Craigslist for cellphones.
Too high of a risk that the phone is blacklisted and can subsequently to blacklisted by the seller.