Buying phones on Kijiji - Blacklisted

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 8:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6217 posts
975 upvotes
Mississauga
Im bypassing this purchase, the guy doesn't have a receipt.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Dec 10, 2010
107 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
Cousin bough t an iphone locked to Virgin from Kijiji. Tried recently to get unlocked and told there is a balance on the phone and Virgin/Bell wont unlock. Cousin using a 'cheat card' with the simm on Fido but voice calls are sketchy.

What would the group suggest on activating this phone to be able to use Voice? Not under contract and can migrate # to another carrier.
Nov 7, 2016
101 posts
18 upvotes
Canada
partsguy100 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:28 pm
Cousin bough t an iphone locked to Virgin from Kijiji. Tried recently to get unlocked and told there is a balance on the phone and Virgin/Bell wont unlock. Cousin using a 'cheat card' with the simm on Fido but voice calls are sketchy.

What would the group suggest on activating this phone to be able to use Voice? Not under contract and can migrate # to another carrier.
I suggest telling your cousin Virgin are obligated, by law, to unlock the phone if requested to, customer or not.
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
596 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
tip that has worked for me every time AND I have gotten like 7-8 phones so far

buy it from seller who can provide the sales invoice. that means you won't have to worried about getting the phone blacklisted.

if the price is $200-400 lower then the other phones that means there is same BS lol

GL
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12385 posts
1045 upvotes
Toronto
A receipt or sales invoice is no guarantee a phone will not be blacklisted.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
1928 posts
786 upvotes
GTA
Just set up the meeting with the seller at Apple store, book the appointment with "genius bar" for 20 minutes later and ask them to transfer all the info to your email/name.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12385 posts
1045 upvotes
Toronto
No such thing as transferring information at the apple store.
May 30, 2015
221 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Phonophoresis wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:17 pm
Yes, of course they can. That's the risk you take when buying a phone directly off of someone, unfortunately. If you're super suspicious, perhaps sneak a peak at their ID and commit the details to memory?
And that isn't as dangerous as the phone being black listed?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1053 posts
339 upvotes
KITCHENER
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 11:39 am
I've been buying/selling phones on Kijiji for the better part of a decade a d have never had someone blacklist a phone on me(literally several hundred phones)
But if you're buying and selling, how do you know a buyer didn't have his phone blacklisted at some point? Obviously you're not keeping the phones for a long time.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11146 posts
1218 upvotes
London
jeff1970 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 10:21 pm
But if you're buying and selling, how do you know a buyer didn't have his phone blacklisted at some point? Obviously you're not keeping the phones for a long time.
That's a fair point

I actually had. My first experience with a phone getting blacklisted a few weeks back

Just sold it on ebay as a blacklisted phone and ate a $10 loss

Blacklisted in Canada will still work in the US at least
Dec 26, 2017
15 posts
cant you have the buyer call his provider to note on the account the phone is sold to the buyer and it is no longer with the seller? and to provide buyer information to the provider?
Jan 7, 2018
1 posts
Never buy from Kijiji specially. Because I bought almost 5 phones from Kijiji and 3 from 5 got blacklisted after few days. And when you try to contact the seller they will never give you a reply.
Specially [...] guy he is the regular scammer. He sells defective and stolen phones on Kijiji [...] He scammed many people on Kijiji because I checked many complaint about him on Kijiji later on. When I try to post about his scams on Kijiji. Kijiji administration removed my post within 10 minutes by saying that I cannot give advice anyone on Kijiji. So my recommendation is never ever visit Kijiji for cell phone purchasing. I also tried to report that scammer to Edmonton police but they are not interested to get those scammer even I have all the records oh his conversation with me via text and e-mails. That's why those scammer are doing this bravely. Even mobile companies would not Listen you. Even you have box of the phone and seller i.d. that's the stupid policy of cell phone provider companies. Anyone can easily cheat any company by purchasing cell phone insurance due to stupid policy.
I don't know if companies have policy to transfer the phone ownership from sellers to buyers. If they do we should buy the phone by meeting the seller at the shop from where the cell phone was purchased with necessary documents to get the ownership transferred on our name.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 8th, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal info
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11404 posts
1538 upvotes
Markham
[removed]

no there is no transfer of ownership. Carrier don't care
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 8th, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote removed
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Jan 13, 2014
663 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:12 am
First post and he replies to a thread that is 3 years old
A spambot originally posted in here