• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2018 10:34 pm
May 8, 2009
7390 posts
3416 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
porksoda wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 1:20 pm
One thing i am not clear about and perhaps someone has had some experience with is phones that are bought outright. Whether it is iphone or android, how does one go about blacklisting those as they are not part of any carrier inventory. From what i gather that phones bought outright from Apple cannot be blacklisted if they have never been activated? I assume at the point if insurance was involved and serial number was provided the insurance can get it blacklisted but no other recourse.
Mrnovanova wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 6:51 am
Buying a device that was sold unlocked from the OEM rather than a telco is also a good way to avoid being blacklisted. Only telcos blacklist not Manufacturers.
Phones only get blacklisted from insurance claims. Buying a phone outright from manufacturer is not immune to this.

Phones go on collections block based on usage on account in collections. Say you signed up for phone X on a 2 yr with carrier A. For whatever reason, you don't use phone X, you put carrier A sim in phone Y. You stop paying your bills. Carrier A will put a collections block on phone Y (not sure whether phone X will be affected in this scenario).

Take the phone to carrier B, and you could repeat the scenario on carrier B.

Phone Y doesn't have to be a "carrier phone".
TwitchyPuppy wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 7:00 pm
@Mrnovanova This doesn’t change anything.
Factory unlocked phone can still be blacklisted by carriers.
+1
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Oct 17, 2009
240 posts
1 upvote
If the seller blacklist the phone can i prove that the phone is mine if i show the carrier the receipt that was provided to me with the phone?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7221 posts
1464 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm thinking of buying a phone thru Kijiji and wondering how safe it is to do so? I've never bought thru Kijiji before. This would be a BNIB phone. I didn't bother asking any questions, all I care about is if the box is sealed, never opened. Is there anything to ask or to look out for?

I've bought new phones thru eBay and RFD without any problems. I would do it again, however I don't see the phone I want and at a reasonable price.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Feb 15, 2007
788 posts
99 upvotes
Pickering
Just do a search of the forums about Kijiji and buying phones whether BNIB or not, and blacklisting. Buying a phone through Kijiji is a crapshoot at best.

Then after doing that if you still want to buy on through Kijiji please don't come back here and ask what you can do about it, as the answer will be you shoujldn't have bought from there in the first place.
Feb 13, 2015
790 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Raggie wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:02 pm
I'm thinking of buying a phone thru Kijiji and wondering how safe it is to do so? I've never bought thru Kijiji before. This would be a BNIB phone. I didn't bother asking any questions, all I care about is if the box is sealed, never opened. Is there anything to ask or to look out for?

I've bought new phones thru eBay and RFD without any problems. I would do it again, however I don't see the phone I want and at a reasonable price.
Buyin phones on kiijiji are more of scam nowadays. You could be lucky and meet some honest people selling. But personally I don't think it's worth the risk. 2 years ago I bought a oneplus1 phone off a guy from kijiji and 2 days later it lost reception and was blacklisted for being stolen. I know there was nothing I could do, so I sold it on ebay internationally to get most of my money back. If you do plan on buying I'll give you some tips, meet up in a safe place, ask for receipt, ask many questions, fully test the phone, test your sim card in it and make a call, look at the person to see what kind of guy he is, younger male teens are more likely to scam, and lastly check his phone number to see if it's real or if it's a fake app number.

Buying phones bnib on kijiji is almost always a scam, ask yourself, why would a person sell a bnib phone? Why would they buy it in the first place, why do they not have the receipt, why would they not return it back to where they bought it and get their full money back? The only exception to this is if someone got it as a gift and doesn't want it or they won it somehow and don't want it. Otherwise it's a big risk.
😎Thanks RFD😎
May 8, 2009
7390 posts
3416 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Raggie wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:02 pm

What phone were you interested in buying? iPhones when sold BNIB in sealed box at a hefty discount are almost guaranteed to be blacklisted or collections-blocked. Cheaper Androids (budget and sometimes mid-range) are more likely to be legit (as the seller would have a smaller financial gain from insurance fraud or going delinquent on the carrier).

Put yourself in the seller's shoes and try to assess. If they're selling a newer flagship for less than half-price, then it's probably a scam. If the phone itself retails for less than $300, then it's probably safe, since the seller would be risking a fair bit just to collect $100-150 cash.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7221 posts
1464 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm thinking Google Pixel that was originally purchased thru Google would less likely be blacklisted...
The seller has the BNIB as a replacement thru warranty, but prefers a smaller phone so hes selling it. Sounds reasonable, But of course, anyone could give this reason... And already replaced on a year old phone? I would need to see the Google receipt and check the imei....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7221 posts
1464 upvotes
Mississauga
Im bypassing this purchase, the guy doesn't have a receipt.
Dec 10, 2010
133 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga
Cousin bough t an iphone locked to Virgin from Kijiji. Tried recently to get unlocked and told there is a balance on the phone and Virgin/Bell wont unlock. Cousin using a 'cheat card' with the simm on Fido but voice calls are sketchy.

What would the group suggest on activating this phone to be able to use Voice? Not under contract and can migrate # to another carrier.
Nov 7, 2016
181 posts
44 upvotes
Canada
partsguy100 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:28 pm
Cousin bough t an iphone locked to Virgin from Kijiji. Tried recently to get unlocked and told there is a balance on the phone and Virgin/Bell wont unlock. Cousin using a 'cheat card' with the simm on Fido but voice calls are sketchy.

What would the group suggest on activating this phone to be able to use Voice? Not under contract and can migrate # to another carrier.
I suggest telling your cousin Virgin are obligated, by law, to unlock the phone if requested to, customer or not.
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
637 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
tip that has worked for me every time AND I have gotten like 7-8 phones so far

buy it from seller who can provide the sales invoice. that means you won't have to worried about getting the phone blacklisted.

if the price is $200-400 lower then the other phones that means there is same BS lol

GL
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14272 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
A receipt or sales invoice is no guarantee a phone will not be blacklisted.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2347 posts
1189 upvotes
GTA
Just set up the meeting with the seller at Apple store, book the appointment with "genius bar" for 20 minutes later and ask them to transfer all the info to your email/name.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14272 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
No such thing as transferring information at the apple store.