• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 11:31 pm
May 30, 2015
251 posts
54 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Phonophoresis wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:17 pm
Yes, of course they can. That's the risk you take when buying a phone directly off of someone, unfortunately. If you're super suspicious, perhaps sneak a peak at their ID and commit the details to memory?
And that isn't as dangerous as the phone being black listed?
In a capitalist society where everyone has a penny, the man with a dollar is king.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1353 posts
494 upvotes
Kitchener
Viper98 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 11:39 am
I've been buying/selling phones on Kijiji for the better part of a decade a d have never had someone blacklist a phone on me(literally several hundred phones)
But if you're buying and selling, how do you know a buyer didn't have his phone blacklisted at some point? Obviously you're not keeping the phones for a long time.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11446 posts
1588 upvotes
London
jeff1970 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 10:21 pm
But if you're buying and selling, how do you know a buyer didn't have his phone blacklisted at some point? Obviously you're not keeping the phones for a long time.
That's a fair point

I actually had. My first experience with a phone getting blacklisted a few weeks back

Just sold it on ebay as a blacklisted phone and ate a $10 loss

Blacklisted in Canada will still work in the US at least
Dec 26, 2017
37 posts
cant you have the buyer call his provider to note on the account the phone is sold to the buyer and it is no longer with the seller? and to provide buyer information to the provider?
Jan 7, 2018
1 posts
Never buy from Kijiji specially. Because I bought almost 5 phones from Kijiji and 3 from 5 got blacklisted after few days. And when you try to contact the seller they will never give you a reply.
Specially [...] guy he is the regular scammer. He sells defective and stolen phones on Kijiji [...] He scammed many people on Kijiji because I checked many complaint about him on Kijiji later on. When I try to post about his scams on Kijiji. Kijiji administration removed my post within 10 minutes by saying that I cannot give advice anyone on Kijiji. So my recommendation is never ever visit Kijiji for cell phone purchasing. I also tried to report that scammer to Edmonton police but they are not interested to get those scammer even I have all the records oh his conversation with me via text and e-mails. That's why those scammer are doing this bravely. Even mobile companies would not Listen you. Even you have box of the phone and seller i.d. that's the stupid policy of cell phone provider companies. Anyone can easily cheat any company by purchasing cell phone insurance due to stupid policy.
I don't know if companies have policy to transfer the phone ownership from sellers to buyers. If they do we should buy the phone by meeting the seller at the shop from where the cell phone was purchased with necessary documents to get the ownership transferred on our name.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 8th, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal info
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12053 posts
1828 upvotes
Markham
[removed]

no there is no transfer of ownership. Carrier don't care
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 8th, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote removed
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jan 13, 2014
795 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:12 am
First post and he replies to a thread that is 3 years old
A spambot originally posted in here
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4712 posts
986 upvotes
Riyadh, Kingdom of S…
resan wrote:
Nov 10th, 2014 12:31 pm
With all the frauds emerging lately when the used phones get blacklisted for various reasons, is there a way we can protect ourselves and have the phone IMEI properly and officially transferred to our name?
There are still some good deals available when compared to buying from carriers so I believe with few precautions we can still realize good savings and a safe purchase.
Please share your tips to avoid getting your phone blacklisted after the fact. Thanks
Do not buy.
VirginMobile $40 4gb LG G6
Freedom 2x $45 10gb S9 Plus & iPhone 8

Feb 22, 2013
214 posts
21 upvotes
resan wrote:
Nov 10th, 2014 12:31 pm
With all the frauds emerging lately when the used phones get blacklisted for various reasons, is there a way we can protect ourselves and have the phone IMEI properly and officially transferred to our name?
There are still some good deals available when compared to buying from carriers so I believe with few precautions we can still realize good savings and a safe purchase.
Please share your tips to avoid getting your phone blacklisted after the fact. Thanks
Lovable wrote:
Nov 10th, 2014 2:30 pm
The risk is there in the second-hand market, no matter where you buy from. You think buying from RFD is a safe place? How do you think the folks with +100 feedback keep trading various phones every year? You think the phones they trade are all owned by their accounts?

All you have with high feedback seller is their reputation and their word but I bet if I was selling a phone I got from someone else, I know I cannot guarantee it will not be blacklisted in the future.
OP, the above highlighted point. Also, you never know if the RFD seller with high good feedback can be selling cheap $5 or $10 stuff, after earning enough positive feedback from the cheap sales moves in to make a $1000 cell phone score.

So if you won't take the risk, then don't buy from the used market. Even for Kijiji, not all Kijiji users are crooks. You visited Kijiji and that does not make you a crook if one day you use Kijiji to sell an unwanted item.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
1228 posts
136 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Traian2003 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:24 am
Happened to me. Bought an iPhone 7+. Two months later, the phone lost reception. Checked the imei database and it was blacklisted. Kept the texts and contacted the seller. He said he did declare it lost for the Fido insurance money. He was puzzled why the carrier was able to block... very stupid person. He gave back the money without any hassle, cuz he wanted to “f the system”, not random people.
So the only reason this is happening is because of Greed? The seller sells the phone 2u, makes $$$, then is greedy and wants more $$$ so he reports it lost/stolen and gets the insurance $$$ too? then you get screwed out of a phone u paid for because it gets blacklisted when he reports it stolen and he gets extra $$$? sounds like we need to report these tools. fraud is fraud
Hi
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5486 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
So i bought two phones (iphones) with applecare and i had the seller call apple with me to change ownership, i spoke to the applecare plus csat employees about blacklisting and they said since all paperwork is switched over and well documented it should be good.

Lets see how it pans out.
Nov 3, 2009
14 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
I got burned back in 2013 buying a blacklisted phone on Kijiji. I needed the phone mostly when travelling in the US. It was a Tmo S3, that I was going to use with a Tmo prepaid. Well, I found out it was blacklisted so I could not use it in the US. I sold it back in Canada (there was no black list here) and moved on. As a result, I didn't buy phones from kijiji for a few years.
However, last year I decided to give it a try again. This time, I had no issue. However, I was extremely cautious. Here are the steps you should follow, in order:

Step 1. You see a deal you like. Reply to the user and ask him/her to give you the IMEI of the phone (always mention in your reply that the imei can be obtained by dialing *#06#). Check the IMEI in a variety of sites, not just against the Canadian blacklist. Use sites like imei.info, imeipro.info, etc (do a google search on imei checkers). You will glean useful info regarding the phone, like country of origin (then run an imei check in that country), day of manufacture, exact model number, features, etc. There are five possible outcomes from this 1st step:
1.a) No reply; that means either the phone is sold and the guy ignores any further messages, or he knows there is something wrong with the phone; move on;
1.b) IMEI shows the device is not blacklisted but is an international model; there is a risk the device is stolen from another country; but that means the device cannot be blocked in Canada. So overall there is a low risk in buying these devices, but remember, if you travel to the country where the device comes from, it may not work there. As a matter of principle, I decided to pass on an s7 edge coming from the middle east because I'm against buying things that may be stolen;
1.c) IMEI is invalid or does not correspond to the device model you're looking at: device is almost 100% stolen and blacklisted and to bring it back into the market, they changed the IMEI to that of an older phone or to a random number. The risk is very low: device will work and will never be blacklisted. However, as a matter of principle, I would pass on these stolen devices;
1.d) Valid IMEI corresponds to the device; pursue this further to step #2;
1.e) Device is blacklisted; run!

Before I go to step #2, let me give you a breakdown on the ~9 devices that I looked up on Kijiji: two belonged to case 1.a, one belonged to case 1.b, 3 belonged to case 1.c and 3 belonged to case 1.d; no device was blacklisted;

Step 2. I'm against buying potentially stolen devices, but If you decide to buy devices that correspond to Steps 1.b and 1.c, you are pretty safe, so you may not need to go to Step 2.
2.a) If seller suggests to meet in a public place like a mall, bank, etc, or is willing to come to your home, run away. A guy knowingly selling a blocked device or a device that he knows will get blocked will not want the buyer to know where he lives; unfortunately, you may weed out a few honest sellers in the process;
2.b) Seller gives you his address; show up prepared, test the device with your sim card, test the camera, sd card reader, audio (earpiece, speaker, earbuds), play a video, etc. Be creative and exhaustive. Ask about the original owner. Call the carrier the device was activated with; in my case, I did that before showing up at the guy's house. The device had been activated with Rogers; the operator was unwilling to share any personal information (duh!), but when specifically asked if there is any trouble with the device (like unpaid bills), she said no, I can buy it safely. Remember, YMMV on this, it depends on the operator.

So now you bought the device.

Step 3. In case the device gets blacklisted sometime down the road; this would be very unfair to you. The police won't help you. However, there are now a bunch of places that can change your phone IMEI for as low as $15. I'm against doing this on a stolen phone. But if you honestly bought the phone and the guy declares it stolen to get insurance money, then you are justified to follow this step to get back what you legally paid for.

Feel free to comment and/or add to these recommendations. Happy buying!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1471 posts
377 upvotes
csmede wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 12:38 pm
I got burned back in 2013 buying a blacklisted phone on Kijiji. I needed the phone mostly when travelling in the US. It was a Tmo S3, that I was going to use with a Tmo prepaid. Well, I found out it was blacklisted so I could not use it in the US. I sold it back in Canada (there was no black list here) and moved on. As a result, I didn't buy phones from kijiji for a few years.
However, last year I decided to give it a try again. This time, I had no issue. However, I was extremely cautious. Here are the steps you should follow, in order:

Step 1. You see a deal you like. Reply to the user and ask him/her to give you the IMEI of the phone (always mention in your reply that the imei can be obtained by dialing *#06#). Check the IMEI in a variety of sites, not just against the Canadian blacklist. Use sites like imei.info, imeipro.info, etc (do a google search on imei checkers). You will glean useful info regarding the phone, like country of origin (then run an imei check in that country), day of manufacture, exact model number, features, etc. There are five possible outcomes from this 1st step:
1.a) No reply; that means either the phone is sold and the guy ignores any further messages, or he knows there is something wrong with the phone; move on;
1.b) IMEI shows the device is not blacklisted but is an international model; there is a risk the device is stolen from another country; but that means the device cannot be blocked in Canada. So overall there is a low risk in buying these devices, but remember, if you travel to the country where the device comes from, it may not work there. As a matter of principle, I decided to pass on an s7 edge coming from the middle east because I'm against buying things that may be stolen;
1.c) IMEI is invalid or does not correspond to the device model you're looking at: device is almost 100% stolen and blacklisted and to bring it back into the market, they changed the IMEI to that of an older phone or to a random number. The risk is very low: device will work and will never be blacklisted. However, as a matter of principle, I would pass on these stolen devices;
1.d) Valid IMEI corresponds to the device; pursue this further to step #2;
1.e) Device is blacklisted; run!

Before I go to step #2, let me give you a breakdown on the ~9 devices that I looked up on Kijiji: two belonged to case 1.a, one belonged to case 1.b, 3 belonged to case 1.c and 3 belonged to case 1.d; no device was blacklisted;

Step 2. I'm against buying potentially stolen devices, but If you decide to buy devices that correspond to Steps 1.b and 1.c, you are pretty safe, so you may not need to go to Step 2.
2.a) If seller suggests to meet in a public place like a mall, bank, etc, or is willing to come to your home, run away. A guy knowingly selling a blocked device or a device that he knows will get blocked will not want the buyer to know where he lives; unfortunately, you may weed out a few honest sellers in the process;
2.b) Seller gives you his address; show up prepared, test the device with your sim card, test the camera, sd card reader, audio (earpiece, speaker, earbuds), play a video, etc. Be creative and exhaustive. Ask about the original owner. Call the carrier the device was activated with; in my case, I did that before showing up at the guy's house. The device had been activated with Rogers; the operator was unwilling to share any personal information (duh!), but when specifically asked if there is any trouble with the device (like unpaid bills), she said no, I can buy it safely. Remember, YMMV on this, it depends on the operator.

So now you bought the device.

Step 3. In case the device gets blacklisted sometime down the road; this would be very unfair to you. The police won't help you. However, there are now a bunch of places that can change your phone IMEI for as low as $15. I'm against doing this on a stolen phone. But if you honestly bought the phone and the guy declares it stolen to get insurance money, then you are justified to follow this step to get back what you legally paid for.

Feel free to comment and/or add to these recommendations. Happy buying!
Not sure I would share my IMEI number until I know the buyer is serious?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1256 posts
357 upvotes
TBD
itrocks4u wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 9:43 pm
Not sure I would share my IMEI number until I know the buyer is serious?
Yup, not something I'd give over email.