Art and Photography

buying photo gear online from alberta to ontario, tax?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2008 8:11 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 17, 2008
56 posts
3 upvotes

buying photo gear online from alberta to ontario, tax?

Hi,
I am thinking buying lense from thecamerastore.com, they are in Alberta, which they only charge 5% tax, according to photoprice.ca.
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/01070
if i have them ship to me, would the postal office chage me the rest 8%?
if not, why wouldn't people buy from them? 8% tax saving!

if i don';t need to pay the rest of the 8%, wowowwww!! I am going to buy one now! :)

Thanks! :)
sf
8 replies
May 11, 2005
610 posts
3 upvotes
You don't need to pay PST. Just the 5%.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4393 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
sfsf wrote: Hi,
if i have them ship to me, would the postal office chage me the rest 8%?
if not, why wouldn't people buy from them? 8% tax saving!
You only pay 5%. Post office will not charge you the other 8%.
I personally only shop local since I don't feel comfortable with my photo equipment being shipped. Beside, I rather test focus my stuffs before purchasing them. Lastly, return or exchange is much easier with local stores.
Mar 17, 2008
56 posts
3 upvotes
sungfra wrote: You only pay 5%. Post office will not charge you the other 8%.
I personally only shop local since I don't feel comfortable with my photo equipment being shipped. Beside, I rather test focus my stuffs before purchasing them. Lastly, return or exchange is much easier with local stores.
I was thinking of the same thing too!
do most people test focusing the lense? how ?
I never did...> :(
sf
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2148 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
I just purchased a lens from The Camera Store. Shipping was really quick (2 business days) and I did not have to pay PST (I'm on Ontario as well). Sungfra's right in that if there is a problem, it will be much more of a hassle compared to buying locally. You just need to decide if the savings are worth the risk.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
We have provincial border customs now?
Mar 24, 2006
654 posts
24 upvotes
that is the reason i felt drive south 1 hour across border more convenient, should anything wrong with the camera, :cheesygri
Gigi wrote: I just purchased a lens from The Camera Store. Shipping was really quick (2 business days) and I did not have to pay PST (I'm on Ontario as well). Sungfra's right in that if there is a problem, it will be much more of a hassle compared to buying locally. You just need to decide if the savings are worth the risk.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2148 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
oakville wrote: that is the reason i felt drive south 1 hour across border more convenient, should anything wrong with the camera, :cheesygri
True, but I wanted a Canadian warranty with my Nikon lens.
Nov 24, 2002
289 posts
21 upvotes
I was thinking about buying a lens from these guys too. Even if the local places can price match the lens I'd still be saving $46 in PST.

I haven't had a problem with any of my lenses so far. I might just risk it that's why there are warrantys :P