Shopping Discussion

Buying Plasma/LCD TV from the US (Warranty In Canada)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2010 4:34 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4985 posts
416 upvotes

Buying Plasma/LCD TV from the US (Warranty In Canada)

I've been watching out for deals on TV's recently (getting near the closing date for my house), and the prices in the US look pretty good compared to Canada (when both have sales). What is manufacturer warranty coverage for TV's bought in the US and brought to Canada? (I tried doing a few searches first)

If anyone knows what warranty is like, I'll update this post for different brands. Also, if a TV is bought in a Costco in the US, can it be returned in a Canadian Costco (or if the concierge service covers it)?

LG: Extended Warranty does not cover "Any equipment located outside the United States." I'm assuming the regular limited warranty is the same thing.

Panasonic: no service in Canada, bring back to US

Samsung: "This limited warranty begins on the original date of purchase, and is valid only on products purchased and used in the United States." (from US warranty doc)

Sharp: "From a Sharp Authorized Servicer located in the United States. To find the location of the nearest Sharp Authorized Servicer, please call Sharp toll free at 1-800-BE-SHARP." So I'm assuming you'd have to bring the TV back to the US for coverage.

Sony: "This Limited Warranty is valid only on products purchased and located in the United States (excluding territories) or United States military facilities." (from US warranty doc)

Toshiba: "LCD TELEVISIONS PURCHASED IN THE U.S.A. AND USED ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.A., INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, CANADA AND MEXICO, ARE NOT COVERED BY THESE WARRANTIES." (from US warranty doc)

Vizio: "Covers units purchased and currently located in the 50 United States and Puerto Rico."

edit: ...I guess it seems like most (if not all) TVs bought in the US only have warranty applicable in the US.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4358 posts
362 upvotes
none of those manufacturers will extend warranty coverage north of the border. You will have to buy supplementary coverage from mack.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4433 posts
590 upvotes
I have read that if you buy a TV at a costco in the states, you can return it in Canada.

Not sure of the impact of the costco 2 year warranty in the same circumstance - is it through the manufacturer or costco?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1746 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
dutchca wrote:
Mar 19th, 2010 8:06 pm
I have read that if you buy a TV at a costco in the states, you can return it in Canada.

Not sure of the impact of the costco 2 year warranty in the same circumstance - is it through the manufacturer or costco?
The return policy would apply, however the remaining amount of the 2-year warranty would require the product being warranted in the U.S.

GYR8
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1233 posts
21 upvotes
I spoke to Panasonic Canada two years back: they cover basic depot service but not the in home service. But the TV must be purchased by an authorized binational retailer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4985 posts
416 upvotes
Kenneth wrote:
Mar 20th, 2010 10:50 am
I spoke to Panasonic Canada two years back: they cover basic depot service but not the in home service. But the TV must be purchased by an authorized binational retailer.
So if I can bring the TV (originally purchased in the US) to one of Panasonic's service depots in Canada, warranty would apply?

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/custome ... efault.asp

And by binational retailer, I'm assuming you mean something like Best Buy, Costco and Sears? And stores like Frys or Target wouldn't apply?
Oct 31, 2007
564 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
anyone know about Vizio? Im thinking of getting the 552xvt from the USA.

OP, what about duties, do you know which of these manuf are assembled in NA? Did u end up buyinG?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4985 posts
416 upvotes
akyyyy wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 4:03 am
anyone know about Vizio? Im thinking of getting the 552xvt from the USA.

OP, what about duties, do you know which of these manuf are assembled in NA? Did u end up buyinG?
From 1st post:
Vizio: "Covers units purchased and currently located in the 50 United States and Puerto Rico."
I didn't investigate the country of manufacture for different models either. I didn't buy this weekend, but I saw some good deals like the Sharp 52" LE700 series for $1299 at Sears (same price for the Panasonic 50" G25 plasma from BB).
Oct 31, 2007
564 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
this is apparently suppose to be stocked in costco (in canada) in a few wks. at least that's what i was told when i called.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1746 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
akyyyy wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 3:41 pm
this is apparently suppose to be stocked in costco (in canada) in a few wks. at least that's what i was told when i called.
At this point, there is nothing substantial that indicates the 552XVT will be the next model coming in. Based on what I *do* know, it could be a totally different model.

GYR8
Oct 31, 2007
564 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
GYR8 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 6:32 pm
At this point, there is nothing substantial that indicates the 552XVT will be the next model coming in. Based on what I *do* know, it could be a totally different model.

GYR8
can u share what you "do" know?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1746 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
akyyyy wrote:
Apr 8th, 2010 4:19 am
can u share what you "do" know?
Unfortunately, I can't comment on product that hasn't actively been added to the inventory system. But I believe that the 552XVT may not be the next Vizio 55" coming in.

GYR8
× < >