Cell Phones

buying a prepaid mobile phone at walmart usa

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2015 11:51 pm
Tags:
Mar 15, 2007
26 posts

buying a prepaid mobile phone at walmart usa

i'm searching for a new phone and i've found that Walmart in the USA are selling prepaid phone for cheap prices. For example, the AT&T Fusion 3 at 68$ (http://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-amp-T-Fusi ... e/39324998).

Can someone explain to me how does it work exactly. Can i buy this phone only, without any prepaid card or sim card, come back to Canada, unlock the phone so i can use it with any canadian provider and at the end, it will only costed me 68$ + the unlocking code? Or do i need to activate the phone first with Verizon to be able to unlock it?
14 replies
Apr 2, 2009
920 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
skoub2 wrote: i'm searching for a new phone and i've found that Walmart in the USA are selling prepaid phone for cheap prices. For example, the Motorola Moto G 1st gen is selling at 39,83$ with Verizon (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Moto- ... e/36182578).

Can someone explain to me how does it work exactly. Can i buy this phone only, without any prepaid card or sim card, come back to Canada, unlock the phone so i can use it with any canadian provider and at the end, it will only costed me 39,83$ + the unlocking code? Or do i need to activate the phone first with Verizon to be able to unlock it?
This is a CDMA device. Will not work with the Canadian carriers.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah, techfox is correct. This phone is full CDMA, doesn't even have a sim slot.

Actually Best Buy USA had this particular phone cheaper yesterday, at $25US. But it rec'd only lucid feedback on Slickdeals, as its only CDMA.

Although Walmart USA and Best Buy USA do sell prepaid phones, you will need to be careful of which provider they are from, as well as the frequencies/bands of the phones being sold. Be sure to look at phones that have same frequencies as Canadian networks. Use this website: www.willmyphonework.net from the sticky at the beginning of this forum to check.

One more thing, the phones are most likely locked to their carriers, so you will need to look for unlock options, some are more easier than others to unlock.
Mar 13, 2013
38 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
skoub2 wrote: i'm searching for a new phone and i've found that Walmart in the USA are selling prepaid phone for cheap prices. For example, the Motorola Moto G 1st gen is selling at 39,83$ with Verizon (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Moto- ... e/36182578).

Can someone explain to me how does it work exactly. Can i buy this phone only, without any prepaid card or sim card, come back to Canada, unlock the phone so i can use it with any canadian provider and at the end, it will only costed me 39,83$ + the unlocking code? Or do i need to activate the phone first with Verizon to be able to unlock it?
Even if you find one that is compatible they will be locked to a carrier for at least a year. I had bought two (T-mob & ATT) and both were locked . But there are ways ,online, where you can unlock it using the IMEI
Mar 15, 2007
26 posts
i understand that the actual phone that i've put in my OP is a CDMA model. But suppose that the phone is GMS, is it as simple as buying it at the price advertised and then unlock the sim card? It's not a problem for me to unlock the phone. I've already done that in the past.

I just want to be sure that if i buy the phone who is fully compatible in Canada, that i will not have a suprise that i cannot unlock the phone because i didnt have activated it with the original carrier or something like that.
Apr 2, 2009
920 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
skoub2 wrote: i understand that the actual phone that i've put in my OP is a CDMA model. But suppose that the phone is GMS, is it as simple as buying it at the price advertised and the unlock the sim card? It's not a problem for me to unlock the phone. I already done that in the past.

I just want to be sure that if i buy the phone who is fully compatible in Canada, that i will not have a suprise that i cannot unlock the phone because i didnt have actived it in the original carrier or something like that.
If you're buying a ATT phone that's not GSM only, you certainly can use it with the Big 3 once UNLOCKED.
If it's a t-Mobile phone, you can use it with Wind and Mobilicity once UNLOCKED.

Unlocking most phones is a pretty easy, straight forward process.

But there are a few phones that are a pain in the ass or more expensive than the cost of the phone (sometimes 2-3x more than what you paid for the phone).
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
Amazon.com is also starting to ship some phones to Canada at reasonable rates. Several weeks ago there was a thread on RFD with an AT &T Nokia Lumia 635 Windows phone for $30 U.S. Even after shipping to Canada and duties, taxes exchange etc. it worked out to about $52 Cdn. AT &T also offered free unlocking and the phone works with Rogers, Bell and Telus (and their associates)

Amazon.com has that phone now for $48.45 and will ship it to Canada. They probably have other phones as well
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
bvit6667 wrote: Amazon.com is also starting to ship some phones to Canada at reasonable rates. Several weeks ago there was a thread on RFD with an AT &T Nokia Lumia 635 Windows phone for $30 U.S. Even after shipping to Canada and duties, taxes exchange etc. it worked out to about $52 Cdn. AT &T also offered free unlocking and the phone works with Rogers, Bell and Telus (and their associates)

Amazon.com has that phone now for $48.45 and will ship it to Canada. They probably have other phones as well
I was down in the States yesterday, Best Buy had the AT&T 635 for $49US in the stores.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
libballeng wrote: I was down in the States yesterday, Best Buy had the AT&T 635 for $49US in the stores.
It would save a few $ to pick it up while in the States - but for people who aren't close to the border it's nice that Amazon.com is starting to ship some thing to Canada.

It's also nice that AT & T is unlocking these phones for free. They used to be difficult and / or expensive to get unlocked
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
skoub2 wrote: i understand that the actual phone that i've put in my OP is a CDMA model. But suppose that the phone is GMS, is it as simple as buying it at the price advertised and then unlock the sim card? It's not a problem for me to unlock the phone. I've already done that in the past.

I just want to be sure that if i buy the phone who is fully compatible in Canada, that i will not have a suprise that i cannot unlock the phone because i didnt have activated it with the original carrier or something like that.
i dont know for other phone on other network, but this particular phone...

verizon MOTO G 2013 xt1028 1st gen 8gb, CDMA, no sim slot, no sdcard slot. NOT hackable(yet), cant unlock boot loader, cant unlock NOTHING.

on kitkat 4.4.4, not updated yet to lollipop.

you cant do nothing else than activate it prepaid on verizon network for at least 6 month before you can change for a postpay service.

in canada, it will be in roaming mode, i believe it drain battery little bit faster.

i know, i have 4 of those, that i can only use on wifi.

there is a bounty of around 250$ USD to the person that will find a way to root this phone on xda, for years now...
Mar 15, 2007
26 posts
HyperTech wrote: i dont know for other phone on other network, but this particular phone...

MOTO G 2013 1st gen 8gb, CDMA, no sim slot, no sdcard slot. NOT hackable(yet), cant unlock boot loader, cant unlock NOTHING.

on kitkat 4.4.4, not updated yet to lollipop.

you cant do nothing else than activate it prepaid on verizon network for at least 6 month before you can change for a postpay service.

in canada, it will be in roaming mode, i believe it drain battery little bit faster.

i know, i have 4 of those, that i can only use on wifi.

there is a bounty of around 250$ USD to the person that will find a way to root this phone on xda, for years now...
like i said, i didnt chosing the right phone for my question. I presently have a Moto G 2013 GMS bought from Koodo and i've unlocked it to go with Speakout. I can do whatever i want with it (hack, unlock boot loader, and i've installed gpe 5.1 on it).
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
i know, i also have a moto g 2013 gsm from koodo too that is easily rooted and totally unlocked, but the one from verizon cdma its not hackable
Mar 15, 2007
26 posts
ok... i have changed the OP to ask the question about the AT&T Fusion 3 at 68$ in Walmart USA. It will be easier to talk about a phone that is GSM and not CDMA :)
Apr 2, 2009
920 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
skoub2 wrote: ok... i have changed the OP to ask the question about the AT&T Fusion 3 at 68$ in Walmart USA. It will be easier to talk about a phone that is GSM and not CDMA :)
It will work with the Big 3 and their sub brands.

Unlocking should be around $5-7 (at most).
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1766 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
techfox wrote: Unlocking should be around $5-7 (at most).
You can unlock AT&T phones for free:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Just select "Non-AT&T Mobility customer" and enter IMEI#. You don't even have to enter a real name. You will get a confirmation email to verify request and then a second email with the unlock code later on.

Thats what I did with my Nokia 635. The Fusion should be no different as it is an AT&T phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)