PC & Video Games

Buying PS4 BNIB off Kijiji

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 1:13 am
[OP]
May 15, 2017
0 posts

Buying PS4 BNIB off Kijiji

Hi I am considering buying a BNIB PS4 off Kijiji as there are several ads that list them for $300 and below. I will definitely open the box and look to make sure that all the components are included the packaging is not broken. What are some things I need to look into to ensure that the product is a fraud?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2180 posts
67 upvotes
If you are so worried, why not search on RFD see if there's any available for sale. There is always a risk buying on Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
1922 posts
223 upvotes
Definitely open and see if there's a real PS4 in there. If you can swing it to meet at someone's place to physically plug the PS4 in and turn it on after you take it out of the package yourself would be good.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2468 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Don't buy the regular ps4 version. The touch buttons to turn it on and eject disk have defect. It can randomly turn on/off/eject disk by itself or keep beeping non stop!! Its a very common problem and can't be fixed completely.
That was the reason I switched to ps4 slim.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5932 posts
1667 upvotes
rsasp wrote:
May 16th, 2017 1:32 pm
If you are so worried, why not search on RFD see if there's any available for sale. There is always a risk buying on Kijiji.
What makes this BST here any different than a classifieds site?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4679 posts
1487 upvotes
How about buying from Shoppers during their 20x points event?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4679 posts
1487 upvotes
raspeed wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:35 am
What makes this BST here any different than a classifieds site?
There's a feedback rating system in place?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5076 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
If they are advertising BNIB will they even let you open and inspect the contents?
Honestly I would avoid buying consoles from places like Kijiji and Craiglist, lots of scammers out there and it's not hard to make an old used busted PS4 appear to be "BNIB". or even worse a box filled with rocks or something. If the seller does let you open and inspect, you can compare the S/N on the console to the S/N on the inner white box and it should match, but that would just tell you the console wasn't swapped and isn't a guarantee it is actually BINB
9394 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:54 am
There's a feedback rating system in place?
Yup for stuck like this I'd stick to RFD or Ebay and only buy from someone with a good rating and clear history
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
The vast majority of people will not scam you on Kijiji. However, there will always be small risk. The system could also be a stolen unit. It may have a defect that you won't be able to get covered through warranty.

In the end, you would have to assess whether that $100-150 of savings is worth that potential risk.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5076 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 18th, 2017 4:34 pm
The vast majority of people will not scam you on Kijiji. However, there will always be small risk.
Generally speaking I'd agree with this but when you're talking about game consoles, especially ones labeled "BNIB" the risk is far greater than probably anything else. Scammers prey on gamers because they're often young, vulnerable and naive.
[OP]
May 15, 2017
0 posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I kinda weighed the risk and I kinda thought that risking buying off Kijiji for $50 isn't worth it. I just purchased a PS4 at EB Games as they had a bundle deal. But thanks again for the advice.
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:34 pm
If they are advertising BNIB will they even let you open and inspect the contents?
I would advise seller to buy it new elsewhere. Maybe real canadian superstore during no tax?

Personally, If I was the seller, you can go ahead and open the box to make sure everything is there, but best believe your paying me first. If anything is missing for whatever reason then Id refund, but thats it. If you hook it up at home and run into some issue, thats your problem.