Pets

Buying a puppy without health guarantee?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2016 10:54 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1360 posts
83 upvotes

Buying a puppy without health guarantee?

My family is currently looking for a Shiba inu puppy. Yes I understand I should be looking at shelters and rescues, I did but the closest rescues available are located in California. I contacted shibarescuegta for rescues too, they posted an ad but never contacted me back for adoption process.

So my question is, should I walk away if a breeder does not provide any health guarantee other than a vet good health certificate?
My research tells me that shibas generally have good health and not much genetic issues, that is why I am considering even without the health guarantees.

Thanks for your help!
3 replies
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
245 upvotes
Kitchener
yes, 100%, shibas can develop hip dysplasia and eye disease. A good breeder will test for both of these things. A vet certificate will not check for those.
https://www.shibas.org/docs/Parent%20Cl ... ations.pdf

Bad breeders generally don't care if they breed these traits in so it's a crapshoot if you end up with a pup who has a debilitating illness. I know a breeder of dogs prone to hip dysplasia and never tested their dogs, they downright deny that hip dysplasia is genetic and deny puppy buyers any help if the pup develops it. So yeah, I have no trust in breeders who don't health test.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I wouldn't consider it without a health guarantee only for the reason it will give you an indication that the breeder is actually testing for it and is reputable, A health guarantee is virtually meaningless if you take your puppy home and find a problem 6 months down the road. Generally, your option is to give the puppy back, After you've fallen in love and bonded with it (and the breeder will likely put the pup down). Or vet costs up to the purchase price of the puppy.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2981 posts
450 upvotes
Beachdown wrote:
Aug 20th, 2016 9:16 pm
I wouldn't consider it without a health guarantee only for the reason it will give you an indication that the breeder is actually testing for it and is reputable, A health guarantee is virtually meaningless if you take your puppy home and find a problem 6 months down the road. Generally, your option is to give the puppy back, After you've fallen in love and bonded with it (and the breeder will likely put the pup down). Or vet costs up to the purchase price of the puppy.
Agreed. We are not the type of people who could give the puppy back - ever.