Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
11 posts
1 upvote

Buying a Santa Fe

Hi everyone,

I am new here but have been reading the forums and thought I'd ask a couple of questions. I am thinking of buying a Santa Fe 2010 and I am torn between the 2.4 engine FWD automatic and the 3.5. I didn't see much difference in the test drives but I am looking for opinions on whether the $1500 difference is worth it.

Also, the dealer is pushing the aftermarket rust protection-the electronic kind, the paint protection and the interior protection. It would be an extra 1200 or so for this but it's supposed to be warrantied for 10 years. If I were to keep the car until it dies, would this be worth it as 10 years of Krown would be about 1200?

Thanks!
Steph
14 replies
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
does 3.5 come only in AWD or are their package schema different? If you're a city driver and dont really need the extra power or need to tow stuff, a smaller engine would possibly be better and more economical.

anyhow, dont bother with anti-rust n stuff like those, in reality your car already has anti-rust done to it (especially for canadian market). In a way these packages are like extra ways that dealerships tries and makes money off of you, as long as you wash your car after winter (washing all the salt off) i dont see rust being an issue, its a bigger issue on older cars because possibly their manufacturing standards weren't as good and it doesn't have the factory coating placed on it. Cars these days dont last as long as well, everything these days are geared towards a new one every few years.
The 10 years possibly is not the car warranty but ONLY anti-rust as well. Now I have no idea about hyundai's reliability in the long run for the newer generations (since they havent been out long enough yet) but you dont know if their electronics or mechanical repairs will be expensive or not. It might be better to buy a new car at a certain point. The last 10 year old car I have... after spending money repairing, repainting and all, simply throw away cuz it has no value left and the engine finally broke down.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
stefnik wrote: Hi everyone,

I am new here but have been reading the forums and thought I'd ask a couple of questions. I am thinking of buying a Santa Fe 2010 and I am torn between the 2.4 engine FWD automatic and the 3.5. I didn't see much difference in the test drives but I am looking for opinions on whether the $1500 difference is worth it.
What are your driving habits like - i.e km driven per year, hwy/city km split etc. etc. ?

How important is gas mileage ?
stefnik wrote: Also, the dealer is pushing the aftermarket rust protection-the electronic kind, the paint protection and the interior protection. It would be an extra 1200 or so for this but it's supposed to be warrantied for 10 years. If I were to keep the car until it dies, would this be worth it as 10 years of Krown would be about 1200? hanks!
Steph
Don't get any of that stuff at a dealership - those are simply dealership ' add-ons ' intended to generate huge margins for them. That $1,200 would be better spent on something like winter tires IMO.

If you plan on hanging on to your car till it dies , then I would simply opt for a rust-proofing service you can source on your own - like Krown, Rust-Check or Corrosion Free.

Personally, I'd opt for Corrosion Free ( assuming it's available in your area ) due to it's better suggested performance, better warranty coverage and less frequent reapplication requirements.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
11 posts
1 upvote
I probably drive about 25-30000 km a year and I think it is evenly split between highway and city. Fuel efficiency is important but I wasn't sure if the difference between the 2 engines was significant or not.

Thanks!
Oct 25, 2010
348 posts
23 upvotes
Northern Onterio

If you buy a slightly used santa fe...perhaps an 08-09 you will be saving at least 10k

If the car has any form of rust already exist, the electronic will not work....I would go with krown for the peace of mind.

paint & interior protection is a BIG time rip off...just clean your car and applied a good quality wax a few times a year will protect your paint just as well...for interior protection...they use a similar product like scotch guard...which you can buy at canadian tire for $10, simply spray onto the seat/carpet and let it dry overnight.

all this is propably well over 11,000 savings...used this money on upgrading your house to an eco friendly housing...goverment will refund you the whole amount back when its done :) enjoy
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
5pecial_K78 wrote: If you buy a slightly used santa fe...perhaps an 08-09 you will be saving at least 10k

If the car has any form of rust already exist, the electronic will not work....I would go with krown for the peace of mind.

paint & interior protection is a BIG time rip off...just clean your car and applied a good quality wax a few times a year will protect your paint just as well...for interior protection...they use a similar product like scotch guard...which you can buy at canadian tire for $10, simply spray onto the seat/carpet and let it dry overnight.

all this is propably well over 11,000 savings...used this money on upgrading your house to an eco friendly housing...goverment will refund you the whole amount back when its done :) enjoy

Do Hyundais even retain 50% of their value after the first 2 years?
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
5pecial_K78 wrote: how did you get 50%

Just a wild guess with your statement of 08/09 saving 11k+ =p
I do wonder the depreciation values of Hyundais since everyone testing say the Genesis Sedan have the same question of resell value.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34286 posts
8114 upvotes
Ottawa
Hyundai has never been a leader in gas mileage in any engine size they have. It is a probelm of being an old design (VW has the same problem).
There are a couple trains of thought on a 4 cylinder versus a V6. A 4 will theoretically give you better mileage but there are quite a few circumstances when a 6 is better and will give you close to the same as a 4 plus have a perfomance advantage when needed. A 4 has to work harder than the 6 and will use that same amount of gas.
A 6 will have an easier time getting up to speed and maintaining it. A 4, especially in AWD will labour constantly. A heavier vehicle (which a SUV tends to become becasue of all things you put in it and forget to take out. LOL), will use more gas and if it is a 4, it will have to work harder all the time.
OP, have you ever thought of a Kia Sportage? Since Hyundai owns Kia, the Sportage is the equivilent vehice and, if equally equipped, significantly lower in price.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
stefnik wrote: I probably drive about 25-30000 km a year and I think it is evenly split between highway and city.

Fuel efficiency is important but I wasn't sure if the difference between the 2 engines was significant or not.

Thanks!
I'd spend a bit of time on-line and see if you could dig up the mpg ...L / 100 km info from sites like Edmunds and various Hyundai owner forums. And, check sites like Canadian Driver, Edmunds, Motor Trend, Hyundai owner forums etc. etc. for Sante Fe reviews where they may comment on the pros / cons of a 2.4 vs a 3.5.

If you planned on hanging on to it till it dies, and if you were doing a lot of kms ( which you're not ) of primary highway driving, ( which you're not ) I'd think that under those circumstances you may have been better served by opting for a 3.5 over the long term.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
5pecial_K78 wrote: If you buy a slightly used santa fe...perhaps an 08-09 you will be saving at least 10k
If the OP plans on hanging on to this vehicle until it dies, there may be some merit to buying new vs used IMO.
Mar 24, 2008
222 posts
72 upvotes
Halifax
Pete_Coach wrote: OP, have you ever thought of a Kia Sportage? Since Hyundai owns Kia, the Sportage is the equivilent vehice and, if equally equipped, significantly lower in price.
The Sorento, not the Sportage, is the equivalent vehicle in Kia's lineup.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
11 posts
1 upvote
I will probably turn down the extra warranty. I am not finding anywhere that says that the electronic rust control works except on boats. I would look at used cars but I don't see good deals on them-maybe only $3-4000 off and then the financing cost takes care of that savings. Maybe I am just not great at negotiating!

Thanks!
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
stefnik wrote: I will probably turn down the extra warranty. I am not finding anywhere that says that the electronic rust control works except on boats. I would look at used cars but I don't see good deals on them-maybe only $3-4000 off and then the financing cost takes care of that savings. Maybe I am just not great at negotiating!

Thanks!

if you need a CCC report, I can grab you one, just state which trim/engine
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34286 posts
8114 upvotes
Ottawa
kavatski wrote: The Sorento, not the Sportage, is the equivalent vehicle in Kia's lineup.

Right you arre, sorry. :o
In that case OP, have a look at the Sorrento. The comments are the same, particulariy price. The chassis and drivetrain are identical, as are most interior parts (seats, upholstery, amenities etc). Differences are in body and some appearance items.