• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2011 3:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 28, 2002
76 posts

Buying from scalpers on craigslist?

Anyone have experience buying tix from scalpers on Craigslist? I'm looking at tix for the Marlies, which are discounted by scalpers on Craigslist.

How do they acquire them?

How do I know if they are legit? Is there a risk that they aren't?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
i find kijiji more legit than craigslist

the only way to verify is to go down to the arena and ask if its a real ticket (they should be able ot scan barcode or verify)

the only risk is paying x amount of dollars, spending money getting to the game and not having the ticket reigster and you don't get let in

and the guys at the gate won't feel sorry for you because you got ripped off
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7399 posts
1689 upvotes
Mississauga
grinspy wrote:
Feb 18th, 2011 9:23 am
Anyone have experience buying tix from scalpers on Craigslist? I'm looking at tix for the Marlies, which are discounted by scalpers on Craigslist.

How do they acquire them?

How do I know if they are legit? Is there a risk that they aren't?
I have never purchased tickets from Craigslist its not worth the risk in my opinion. They could have bought seasons tickets which they get the tickets cheaper than face value. Do they have more than one game for sale? How much cheaper are they?
Feb 11, 2007
745 posts
237 upvotes
I bought Raptors and Leafs tickets off of Craigslist and I have sold concert tickets on them. I have never had a problem. I would never send money or ask for money to be sent to me. I always meet the person.
Feb 11, 2007
745 posts
237 upvotes
jordanr1987 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2011 2:09 pm
i find kijiji more legit than craigslist

the only way to verify is to go down to the arena and ask if its a real ticket (they should be able ot scan barcode or verify)

the only risk is paying x amount of dollars, spending money getting to the game and not having the ticket reigster and you don't get let in

and the guys at the gate won't feel sorry for you because you got ripped off
Any ticket you buy from a scalper could be fake. You take the same chance buying on Kijiji and on the street. I always get their phone number and meet them in person.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
204 upvotes
I've sold multiple tickets on craigslist & most people were quite happy with my service. Keep in mind, mixed in with those scalpers are legit people who just can't go to an event, or have extras.
Jun 4, 2008
353 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Kris81 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 11:20 am
I've sold multiple tickets on craigslist & most people were quite happy with my service. Keep in mind, mixed in with those scalpers are legit people who just can't go to an event, or have extras.
Exactly. Buyer beware, but don't immediately count out the CL and KIJIJI sellers.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1233 posts
23 upvotes
getting a phone number doesn't do **** anymore considering it's so hard using a phone number to track anything....

you meet the person at THEIR HOUSE....
not in a mall, not anywhere else...

if they say no, no deal, move on...
but u have to ask yourself, why are they saying no?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4613 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
hamant wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 2:23 pm
getting a phone number doesn't do **** anymore considering it's so hard using a phone number to track anything....

you meet the person at THEIR HOUSE....
not in a mall, not anywhere else...

if they say no, no deal, move on...
but u have to ask yourself, why are they saying no?

I sure as heck wouldn't want some random stranger to know where I live and come see what's in my house...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1233 posts
23 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Feb 19th, 2011 2:31 pm
I sure as heck wouldn't want some random stranger to know where I live and come see what's in my house...

so strangers don't drive by your house or ever walk by your house?
Are you not listed in the phone book?
you feel your untraceable unless you GIVE your address to someone?

If you're selling something and the person wants to pick it up at your house, you'll say no because you don't want them to know where you live?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4613 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
hamant wrote:
Feb 20th, 2011 2:14 pm
so strangers don't drive by your house or ever walk by your house?
Are you not listed in the phone book?
you feel your untraceable unless you GIVE your address to someone?

If you're selling something and the person wants to pick it up at your house, you'll say no because you don't want them to know where you live?

Of course I don't feel untraceable, but there's no reason for some random person to want to come and see me. If e.g. I'm selling a computer, I don't want the buyer to be able to come camp out at my door if he wants to return it or he wants help with some feature or needs to reinstall the operating system etc. If I sell on kijiji or craigslist, like most people, it's final sale... what you see is what you get. Give me the money, take the thing, and that's that. And yes, I will always say meet in a public place, which I believe works best with kijiji because it's safer, both for the buyer and the seller.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1233 posts
23 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Feb 20th, 2011 2:30 pm
Of course I don't feel untraceable, but there's no reason for some random person to want to come and see me. If e.g. I'm selling a computer, I don't want the buyer to be able to come camp out at my door if he wants to return it or he wants help with some feature or needs to reinstall the operating system etc. If I sell on kijiji or craigslist, like most people, it's final sale... what you see is what you get. Give me the money, take the thing, and that's that. And yes, I will always say meet in a public place, which I believe works best with kijiji because it's safer, both for the buyer and the seller.

I don't see the 'safeness' of meeting in a public place.

You cite all these examples, but what if you sell a computer that isn't working? What if YOU'RE a scammer (im not saying that you are), how is the buyer going to get back to you? If you sell fake tickets and the person finds out, are you going to use the "too bad, sale is final"

You're only protecting yourself, not the buyer.

kijiji and craigs are full of scammers that sell POS merchandise. If I'm the buyer I'm going to do what I need to protect myself.