• Jun 27th, 2011 2:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7186 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto

Buying Tires in the US

Hi all,

I am planning to take a 7-10 days holiday in the US sometime in the fall.

I am thinking about getting a set of winter TIRES AND RIMS. Possibly a set of Nokian WR as well. I'll be driving and I'll have enough room to haul them back.

I wound like recommendations on friendly Buffalo area tire shops.

Do I :

1. Order online, ship to the tire store and get installed there...
or
2. One shot deal and order everything at the tire store and get it done there...

Can you recommend online websites that offer best prices and services. As mentioned earlier, I'd like recommendation on Buffalo area tire stores.

BTW, 222/45/WR18 winter tires + 18" rims (or equivalent 17" size) is what I'm looking for...any recommendations + where to get them?

Last, where is best place to get Nokian WRs...

TIA!
40 replies
Jul 27, 2010
4 posts
millhaven
Better check that the tire warranty is valid in Canada where you live otherwise your deal won't be as sweet as you might think it is.... :idea:
ppl4golf wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 12:52 am
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a set of winter TIRES AND RIMS. Possibly a set of Nokian WR as well. I'll be driving and I'll have enough room to haul them back.

Do I :

or
2. One shot deal and order everything at the tire store and get it done there...

Can you recommend online websites that offer best prices and services. As mentioned earlier, I'd like recommendation on Buffalo area tire stores.

BTW, 222/45/WR18 winter tires + 18" rims (or equivalent 17" size) is what I'm looking for...any recommendations + where to get them?

TIA!
:idea:
May 17, 2003
666 posts
627 upvotes
Mississauga
ppl4golf wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 12:52 am
Hi all,

Do I :

or

TIA!
I was in the same boat as you last week and completed my swap over on the weekend so I can probably tell you about my experience. If you're planning to buy tires in the States, what I recommend is ordering online via Discount Tire Direct or the Tire Rack and having them ship to a certified installer where you are heading.

I found Discount Tire Direct to be cheaper than Tire Rack for the tire I chose because they ship for free while Tire Rack tacks on an additional charge. The installer I used was:

24 Hour Tire & Auto
2365 NIAGARA FALLS BLVD #4
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14304-0000
(716) 870-1945
Mike

Mike's a really nice, down to earth guy and will generally be available every day of the week provided you make an appointment. I had my tires installed on a Sunday. His proximity to the outlet mall is convenient if you plan on dropping off your girlfriend/wife first. He charged me $80 for mounting/balancing/installation and disposal of the old rubber. No hoist or lift, but he's got low profile Snap On tools and properly torqued my wheels to spec.

I don't think either Discount Tire Direct or Tire Rack carries Nokians so you might have to find another online retailer. Hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3701 posts
139 upvotes
Doc wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 1:12 am
I was in the same boat as you last week and completed my swap over on the weekend so I can probably tell you about my experience. If you're planning to buy tires in the States, what I recommend is ordering online via Discount Tire Direct or the Tire Rack and having them ship to a certified installer where you are heading.

I found Discount Tire Direct to be cheaper than Tire Rack for the tire I chose because they ship for free while Tire Rack tacks on an additional charge. The installer I used was:

24 Hour Tire & Auto
(716) 870-1945
Mike

Mike's a really nice, down to earth guy and will generally be available every day of the week provided you make an appointment. I had my tires installed on a Sunday. His proximity to the outlet mall is convenient if you plan on dropping off your girlfriend/wife first. He charged me $80 for mounting/balancing/installation and disposal of the old rubber. No hoist or lift, but he's got low profile Snap On tools and properly torqued my wheels to spec.

I don't think either Discount Tire Direct or Tire Rack carries Nokians so you might have to find another online retailer. Hope this helps!
Has anyone ordered from Discount Tire Direct and had the tires shipped to Canada? Any additional brokerage fees with UPS? Their prices are cheaper than tirerack but tirerack includes all fee, taxes, duties etc.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10253 posts
1067 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Doc wrote:

24 Hour Tire & Auto
(716) 870-1945
Mike

I'm looking for tires too and needed a place in the States to install them. I'll give them a thought! Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7186 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Doc wrote:

24 Hour Tire & Auto
(716) 870-1945
Mike

Thanks for all the responses!

@Doc,
What did you get and how much did you end up saving ?
Just to confirm, the purchase price of the tires/rims can be counted in the $750 exemption for >7days ??
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7186 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
jgeorg wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 1:08 am
Better check that the tire warranty is valid in Canada where you live otherwise your deal won't be as sweet as you might think it is.... :idea:

:idea:
Isn't warranty on tires usually a PITA to claim...regardless of where you are??
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6667 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
Justin wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 1:25 am
Has anyone ordered from Discount Tire Direct and had the tires shipped to Canada? Any additional brokerage fees with UPS? Their prices are cheaper than tirerack but tirerack includes all fee, taxes, duties etc.
Brokerage is prepaid at $40 a tire. No suprises or bills to pay when the tires arrive.

As for warranty. Considering you can get some decent 17" tires for around $100 a tire, i'll take the risk.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4359 posts
362 upvotes
Doc wrote:

24 Hour Tire & Auto
(716) 870-1945
Mike

+1 as well.

I recently shopped tires while i was in the states. When it came to getting the best price, discount tire matched tire racks price easily. They even matched sears auto centre's price which was much more cheaper (make sure to check their prices as well). To top it off there was no shipping charge (next day delivery) to the installer (got them installed at discount tire) and i got credit for my old worn out tires. Overall i probably saved almost $500; same tires at CT are almost $1k installed.

EDIT: i see that they dont have locations in NY state. I guess your going to have to ship to an installer. I would call around and see which shop can get you the tires you are looking for the fastest and at the best price. I would also highly recommend double checking sears...good luck
May 17, 2003
666 posts
627 upvotes
Mississauga
ppl4golf wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 2:47 am

@Doc,
Just to confirm, the purchase price of the tires/rims can be counted in the $750 exemption for >7days ??
I ended up with the Hankook Ventus Evo V12 in a 225/45/17 size. Cost me $488 USD (that's including my mounting and balancing charge from Mike). Comparably, the cheapest I could find the same tires here was $670 CDN. And yes, these can be counted towards the $750 exemption.

For the person who is concerned about warranty, I didn't purchase Discount Tire's extra warranty but honestly, in all my years of driving I've never had to make a road hazard claim. Additionally for the money I saved, I can easily buy another tire or two and come out even.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10253 posts
1067 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'll be heading down to Chicago and buying tires this weekend. Does Discount Tire Direct's "out the door" price include installation, balancing, and disposal of old tires? Tire rack charges both shipping and installation, which makes them much more expensive than Discount Tire at the moment.

Is there tax as well from both Tire Rack and Discount Tire?

Edit: Ok I just looked on their site and it says free mounting and balancing. Definitely favouring Discount Tire Direct right now.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1339 posts
12 upvotes
Discount Tire has better delivered prices unless Tire Rack is running one of their infrequent free shipping promotions. The only problem with them is their selection is more limited.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4359 posts
362 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 12:38 pm
I'll be heading down to Chicago and buying tires this weekend. Does Discount Tire Direct's "out the door" price include installation, balancing, and disposal of old tires? Tire rack charges both shipping and installation, which makes them much more expensive than Discount Tire at the moment.

Is there tax as well from both Tire Rack and Discount Tire?

Edit: Ok I just looked on their site and it says free mounting and balancing. Definitely favouring Discount Tire Direct right now.
yes the out the door price includes everything iirc. Make sure to ask in person if they can do better than online...
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
4523 posts
974 upvotes
Kootenays
ppl4golf wrote:
Jul 29th, 2010 2:47 am

@Doc,
Yes, tires/rims can be claimed. You may have to pay eco fee of $25.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7186 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Here is a similar thread from a couple of years ago.

There is good info for anyone in the same boat looking at bringing some tires back.
× < >