Request-A-Deal

Buying TV from the US and bring to Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2008 10:00 am
Tags:
None
Jun 9, 2008
4 posts
Ottawa

Buying TV from the US and bring to Canada?

My family will have a trip to Boston area where I can dropby Bestbuy in Nashua, NH to buy a TV without state sale tax. We will stay in the US around 10 days for a family of 6 so we should have enough Customs and Duty Free Allowances (C$750*6=$4500). I am considering to buy the Sharp 52" 1080P 120HZ LC-52D82U at US$2349.99 + $70 (shipping)=2420 (or better) and have it shipped to Ogdensburg, i.e., US/Canada boarder. The shipping is flat $70 for Bestbuy TV. Gas from Ottawa to Ogdensburg and back=$20 (200KM*7L/100KM*1.34)

The same TV will cost $2799.99 at FS in Ottawa + tax $392=$3192. So this is a saving of 3192 - $2440/0.97 = 3192 - 2516 = 676 C$

The shipping will be UPS to UPS store in Ogdensburg so it should be safe from Nashua to Ogdensburg and then I will pick it up home. The TV has one year warranty.

Any pros and cons and potential issues?

Thanks, Don
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4787 posts
509 upvotes
i dont think you can spread your duty allowances over a single item

so the first 750 will be exempt

also -- very few tvs come from overseas...most are mexican i think
in which case there's no duty

there is pst and gst tho

and no idea about Sharp -- but Panasonic for example will not warranty a US tv in canada
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3199 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
I do not think this is worth it. The headaches of returning it in case you have dead/stuck pixels, and who knows what else may show up.

Keep an eye for LCD sales at Costco, and the other big names out there, and get something local for a few more hunded extra and save yourself the time, gas, headaches that may be associated with purchasing from overseas.

+ Spend money here to boost our economy - why help the USA? Keep the Canadian economy alive by spending (ie. being ripped off, and raped) here! :)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4787 posts
509 upvotes
costco.ca prices in comparison

Sharp
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
1582 posts
242 upvotes
you might get lucky and just get waved through. there is something going on at customs right now where the union is wanting to strike but cannot because they are an essential service. so instead, they are holding people up longer and not collecting taxes and duties as often as they should be in an attempt to get the government to meet their contract demands.
Banned
Jul 16, 2003
10398 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
In before the MOVE
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
Mortgage Intelligence - FSCO# 10428
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
2628 posts
154 upvotes
George W. Bush wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 9:44 am
I do not think this is worth it. The headaches of returning it in case you have dead/stuck pixels, and who knows what else may show up.

Keep an eye for LCD sales at Costco, and the other big names out there, and get something local for a few more hunded extra and save yourself the time, gas, headaches that may be associated with purchasing from overseas.
+1. As well, you can negotiate at FS to shave off a couple of hundred bucks.
Jan 9, 2006
95 posts
5 upvotes
Edited : Sorry my Mistake. this woud apply for a USA to Canada transaction , and not USA To USA. :

HI. I have never done what you are planing to do. you will probably have to fill a few unusual custom forms... Just be vary careful with UPS , as these guys use their own custom agents and they could charge you an eye and a leg....

I got riped off twice with UPS buying something on Ebay. UPS will charge you a very fat price for taking care of the custom work. USPS don't . the Maximum USPS will charge is $5.00 for the same work ( excluding applicable taxes )

You better ask some questions to UPS directly BEFORE you make the purchase. a lot of stores don't even know about these hidden fees for us Canadians...

On Ebay, there is a rule for Canadians : never have it shipped with UPS....
( I bought a $60 USD item. with UPS,I had to pay $20.00 for shipping ( no problem ) I had to pay all applicable taxes ( no problem ) but I also had to pay $40 CAD for their paper work ...Big big problem....

good luck

stef
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4787 posts
509 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 9:48 am
you might get lucky and just get waved through. there is something going on at customs right now where the union is wanting to strike but cannot because they are an essential service. so instead, they are holding people up longer and not collecting taxes and duties as often as they should be in an attempt to get the government to meet their contract demands.
has this started yet?

crappy - i am going to chicago this weekend
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2344 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
According to the Sharp USA website, your warranty should be ok in Canada.

However, as previously pointed out:

1. You can't combine personal exemptions, so you only get a $750 exemption on duty.

2. Technically, you will still be paying PST+GST on the purchase. So That's about $314 right there. There is a chance a the customs officer will just wave you through but lets face it, having this big box sitting in your vehicle is bound to attract some attention from the border personnel.

So, in the grand scheme of things, (especially with the Costco prices in the previous post) is it really worth the hassle?

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Apr 30, 2007
877 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
George W. Bush wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 9:44 am

+ Spend money here to boost our economy - why help the USA? Keep the Canadian economy alive by spending (ie. being ripped off, and raped) here! :)
+1

It's too much of a hassle IMHO. You only save a few hundo and IF there are any problems, you can't just take it to local BB/FS for a straight up exchange.

Also, are you ABSOLUTELY set on this model? (ie. have you done your homework, and seen the set in person?) I think the time of 120Hz times is not quite here yet, and the quality of Sharp LCDs has been decreasing over the years (the banding issue). Read up on this model on avsforum or something to get an idea of the problems associated with it.

You might want to have a look at the Samsung (52A530/A550) models (not 120Hz) or the 650/750 series (which are 120Hz). The A530/A550s can be had for around $2400 at times.

Just my $0.02 :cheesygri

P.S. I can't beleive I'm agreeing with someone with the user name of George Dub-ya Bush :evil:
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
2762 posts
222 upvotes
I did it.

Bought a 50" Hitachi@ Sears for $949. Borrowed friend's Ford Excursion for the day.

Cost of gas, plus taxes (no duty, TV was assembled in Mexico) = $1200ish all in (even with NY Taxes included). Saved atleast $600 (list was $1899 plus taxes here).
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2344 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
herbeapuce wrote:
Jun 24th, 2008 9:54 am
HI. I have never done what you are planing to do. you will probably have to fill a few unusual custom forms... Just be vary careful with UPS , as these guys use their own custom agents and they could charge you an eye and a leg....stef
Read the OP again.

He's having it shipped to Ogdensburg, NY.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
× < >