Buying unlocked phones from small shops and not big box retailers

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 7:47 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13972 posts
1606 upvotes
Toronto
Some people get lucky and others don't. It all comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2009
279 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
audit13 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:21 pm
Some people get lucky and others don't. It all comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept.
I think I'm gonna go with the new unit for $100 more at http://www.futuretechcanada.com/ since they do have a store front, with 2 stores, one in Bridlewood Mall (which is where I'll be buying from) and the other in Ajax in a newer looking, large size strip plaza. So I would assume this leaves some room of less risk than buying used from someone. Albeit Bridlewood Mall is not an upper end mall, but at least it's not a really run down old strip plaza with 3 stores in it.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13972 posts
1606 upvotes
Toronto
The chances of blacklisting with an authorized Samsung dealer would be extremely small.

Buying from a retailer is more expensive but it can be worth the peace of mind it brings.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4231 posts
411 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:15 pm
The chances of blacklisting with an authorized Samsung dealer would be extremely small.

Buying from a retailer is more expensive but it can be worth the peace of mind it brings.
Seems like no matter what people tell him, he's made up his mind. He keeps giving reasons why he thinks its fine. It may very well be, but there's still a chance it gets blacklisted a few months later
I am a Koodo customer
[OP]
Jan 24, 2009
279 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
Hmmm? I came across https://swiftronics.ca/. They have presence on Amazon and Best Buy. Prices on devices are not bad when walking into the store.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4417 posts
649 upvotes
Montreal
Tom0822 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:35 pm
Hmmm? I came across https://swiftronics.ca/. They have presence on Amazon and Best Buy. Prices on devices are not bad when walking into the store.
Just look at past threads on how to buying a flagship from Koodo and cancelling or porting out right after.
Otherwise, just do whatever you want and assume the unnecessary risks. It's often the best lesson in life.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2009
279 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
cn_habs wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 11:01 am
Just look at past threads on how to buying a flagship from Koodo and cancelling or porting out right after.
Otherwise, just do whatever you want and assume the unnecessary risks. It's often the best lesson in life.
Actually, that's what I've been trying to look up, but can't seem to find the info. Of course I'm really interested in that option, but what I don't understand is, if you get a phone from them, don't you have to sign a 2 yr contract and be bound to that contract? So if you cancel, wouldn't there be a penalty? I do plan on keeping my plan with Rogers and don't want to be on the hook with Koodo for 2 years with them as well.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14988 posts
5540 upvotes
Oakville
Tom0822 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 2:32 pm
Actually, that's what I've been trying to look up, but can't seem to find the info. Of course I'm really interested in that option, but what I don't understand is, if you get a phone from them, don't you have to sign a 2 yr contract and be bound to that contract? So if you cancel, wouldn't there be a penalty? I do plan on keeping my plan with Rogers and don't want to be on the hook with Koodo for 2 years with them as well.
Koodo's Tab is setup such that if you get an activation credit, they don't just add it back onto your device balance. Your device balance is just the remainder of your tab (so on tab large, $480, tab medium, $360, or tab small, $240). That's it. So your total cost is just (tab balance) + (upfront cost) + (a day or so of the monthly bill cost). It only makes sense to do it when they actually are offering an activation credit, of course, otherwise your total cost just ends up being the regular cost of the phone. You can see the current deals available here: https://www.koodomobile.com/phones?INTC ... hop_Phones
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
May 8, 2009
6914 posts
3069 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Tom0822 wrote:
Swiftronics accepts Discover but not PayPal? I'd only consider buying there if they accept PayPal, that'd give me 6 months to return if something goes wrong.

OP, study the hot deals threads on Koodo phones, do the math and churn. You'll be grateful for having gone that route. You have nothing to lose.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Jan 24, 2009
279 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
wearysky wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 8:58 pm
Koodo's Tab is setup such that if you get an activation credit, they don't just add it back onto your device balance. Your device balance is just the remainder of your tab (so on tab large, $480, tab medium, $360, or tab small, $240). That's it. So your total cost is just (tab balance) + (upfront cost) + (a day or so of the monthly bill cost). It only makes sense to do it when they actually are offering an activation credit, of course, otherwise your total cost just ends up being the regular cost of the phone. You can see the current deals available here: https://www.koodomobile.com/phones?INTC ... hop_Phones
Ahhh....so then there is no actual contract to sign for the plans. You're just basically financing the phone on a plan and if you decide to leave, say in a couple of days, you just pay off the remainder of the phone.
May 18, 2008
724 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Most of these phones at small shops are refurbished
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16589 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:09 pm
  1. follow hot deals threads on flagship phones on Koodo
  2. all carrier phones are unlocked now
  3. Sammy phones are a special case. Upon initial boot, it'll bake the phone with carrier bloat, based on the sim you boot it with. Buy the Sammy phone from a mom and pop shop, assuming it's indeed a Canadian variant, it'll still flash your carrier's bloat assuming you're booting that phone or the first time with a sim card in it
I got my flame resistant suit on, so I am ready to be grilled for saying friends should not suggest friends to get Samsung. That's one step short of friends don't let friends get LG phones. Even with generous assistance from carriers and retail incentives, they are still over priced. After a year, they are worth about the same as any android phone that retail for much less. I am not one to shill white colored phones, at the upper price range, I would go for an iPhone over a shamsung any day. At least for your money, Apple will look after you every step of the way, including preventing carrier intrusion into the OS.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
May 8, 2009
6914 posts
3069 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
will888 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 10:19 am
I got my flame resistant suit on, so I am ready to be grilled for saying friends should not suggest friends to get Samsung. That's one step short of friends don't let friends get LG phones. Even with generous assistance from carriers and retail incentives, they are still over priced. After a year, they are worth about the same as any android phone that retail for much less. I am not one to shill white colored phones, at the upper price range, I would go for an iPhone over a shamsung any day. At least for your money, Apple will look after you every step of the way, including preventing carrier intrusion into the OS.
@Will88 I never would have expected this post from you.

Among Androids, Sammy's probably retain resale value the most, but I don't believe in selling used phones. With amortization, I wouldn't "invest" in a phone hoping to retain some resale value...would prefer a phone that's more likely to work, even on old firmware down the road as a backup or put it to good use for multimedia or even a hand-me-down.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16589 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
Tom0822 wrote:
This place is not cheap. I see they have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5. This is the cheaper edition for the Asian market. The edition being discussed in the hot deals section costs $100 less buying from the Xiaomi online store on Aliexpress. The open box stuff, you are better off doing a Koodo phone churn deal.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank