Cell Phones

Buying an unlocked smartphone for a neanderthal - HELP!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2017 5:54 pm
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto

Buying an unlocked smartphone for a neanderthal - HELP!

I am the neanderthal. My ancient flip phone is dead, I want to replace it with something slightly better. I'm currently on Fido pay as you go and have tons of minutes accrued as I never use the phone, I don't want to lose this money by switching providers. I spoke to Fido today and the only smartphone they could offer that would be useable on my current "plan" was over $300. The CSR suggested I buy an unlocked phone and throw in a new sim card which she has sent me.

I know ZERO about phones let alone most technology beyond a toaster. All I want is a phone with which I can call, text, take decent photos and log onto wifi where available - no data. I would prefer to buy new but a factory certified refurb would be OK if the price was right.

The question to you great RFD masters is: please provide links to exact models that you feel fit the bill. Preference will be given to least expensive models first. Heck - I've plugged along with the same flip phone for 10 years, I have no interest in buying anything over $200 let alone $500. Thank you very much, I really need the help and appreciate anybody taking the time to offer advice.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Buy an old blackberry; they're tank tough, cheap, work VERY well for what you want, and run on batteries for quite a while by current phone standards.

I loved my Blackberry Bold 9900. It's like 6 years old now, but who cares. I used this phone with my old Telus flip-phone SIM for years.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The Motorola phones can be found new for ~$125 - $150

I'm sure you can find refurb BlackBerry Z10s for less than $100
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the tips. Anybody else have recommendations?
Nov 16, 2014
224 posts
112 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
If you want to buy from Fido, they have the LG K4 for $120. Might serve your purpose. It is a smaller phone than most.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Are you ok with an all touch phone (maybe play around with a friend's or relative's)
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
How much are you willing to spend OP? Less than $300?

Like others have mention try out friends and families smartphone and see how you like them.

IMO you go with these phone(s):
iPhone 5/s/c
Blackberry w/ QWERTY pad, unless you're ok with touch
Any of the older Nexus like nexus 6
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
I would prefer a touch phone. Thanks for the suggestions. I guess my bigger question is WHERE to buy. I'm big on warranties and not having my purchases Sh** the bed in days after purchase so I like to buy from reputable places, not kijiji parking lot sellers.

I saw that LG for $120 and asked Fido CSR about it and they said I could only purchase it if I signed a long term contract.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
You can buy phones outright from bestbuy, staples, amazon.ca etc.

There is also a deal at superstore where you can buy Moto G4 Play for $129. There is a thread here on rfd
It's probably the best deal right now under $200

pc-mobile-moto-g4-play-16gb-129-2072228/
Nov 16, 2014
224 posts
112 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
hoponpop wrote: I would prefer a touch phone. Thanks for the suggestions. I guess my bigger question is WHERE to buy. I'm big on warranties and not having my purchases Sh** the bed in days after purchase so I like to buy from reputable places, not kijiji parking lot sellers.

I saw that LG for $120 and asked Fido CSR about it and they said I could only purchase it if I signed a long term contract.
I don't know anything about Fido, but on their website they had the LG K4 for $0 for a contract. I clicked on "No term" and it was $120. I think the CSR was using alternative facts. I don't know anything about the phone so I'm not recommending it, just saying that FIdo has it and it is a simple and small phone.
Aug 17, 2008
422 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
I have a brand new opened box Huawei GR5, it is a touch phone and is locked to Rogers, but works on Fido as well.
Though not sure if it is too large of a phone for your needs as it is a 5.5" screen
Im selling for $200. It retails for $375+tax without a contract sign up.
https://www.fido.ca/nac/#/build-plan
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
You may want to check out the Asus Zenfone 3 Max which is unlocked and available at Staples. It's on sale now for $189.00 regular $199.00. Not a huge savings but there may be some Staples coupons kicking around which may further lower the price. It looks like a good phone at a decent price. Here is a link:

http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-Zenfone3- ... CA_1_20001
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFDQ1016 wrote: You can buy phones outright from bestbuy, staples, amazon.ca etc.

There is also a deal at superstore where you can buy Moto G4 Play for $129. There is a thread here on rfd
It's probably the best deal right now under $200

pc-mobile-moto-g4-play-16gb-129-2072228/
I too second this suggestion.
This is a pretty solid phone for the price.
A great entry point for a new smartphone user.
I'm using this in my FIDO SIM as my 2ndary phone, and it's not half bad.
Obviously it's not a $1000 flagship phone, but for $130 is a very very good buy.
Aug 15, 2012
357 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Does Fido sell refurb phones? Can't find a page for it online. If so, considering doing that. Stay faaaar away from the old iPhones (iPhone 5S and under). Why? Because iOS 9-10 (the new iPhone operating systems) bogs those phones down and there's no way to downgrade them. You'll experience a lot of lag, battery issues, and you'll regret ever buying a smartphone. Don't do it! Trust me on this.

Instead, get an Android phone. Get an Android phone with the following specs if you want a good experience:

-At least 2GB of RAM
-At least a Snapdragon 61x, 62x, or 65x processor (substitute x for any number) - the processor is the CPU (like a computer's CPU) - if the processor is a 4xx, avoid it, this is a low-end processor. If the processor is 8xx, buy it (this is a flagship processor)
-At least a 720p resolution screen
-Removable back cover (optional, only if you want to be able to replace the battery easily)

If you get all of these, you're good to go. The phone's specs can be found on its product page, or you can Google the phone and find its specs straight away. Sure, checking for this stuff can be annoying for someone who doesn't care about smartphones, but if you put an effort in, you'll end up with a future-proof phone that'll last you for more than five years.

Common refurb phones sold by carriers include the LG G3, which is an awesome phone in itself. If you can get one for $100-$150, get it.

I say buy a cheap Samsung Galaxy Note 4 from someone reputable on RFD. Removable battery, amazing screen, great specs all around. Can be had for $200 if you look around.

tl;dr My choices for you: LG G3 or Samsung Galaxy Note 4. You can get the LG G3 refurbished from some carriers (dunno about Fido), and you can get the Note 4 used online from Swappa.com or someone or RFD. Don't use Kijiji or craigslist because those sites can leave you with an IMEI blacklisted phone.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks a bunch to everyone, I have the info needed. I would grab the Moto G4 if I was close enough to a Loblaws that carries phone, but I am not. Time to start shopping.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
hoponpop wrote: Thanks a bunch to everyone, I have the info needed. I would grab the Moto G4 if I was close enough to a Loblaws that carries phone, but I am not. Time to start shopping.
I would get the Zenfone 3 Max from Staples then. You can order it online and get free shipping.
If you have a staples nearby you can go in store and play around with it, they have them on display.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFDQ1016 wrote: I would get the Zenfone 3 Max from Staples then. You can order it online and get free shipping.
If you have a staples nearby you can go in store and play around with it, they have them on display.
As most stores won't have the G4 in stock. It's somewhat of a scavenger hunt trying to find a location who still has any stock remaining. You may be wasting time & gas trying to locate one.
If a store is willing to keep one aside for you, that's the best option.
Nov 16, 2014
224 posts
112 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
When changing from a flip phone to a smartphone, you may find the smartphone to be huge and inconvenient to carry around. The Moto G4 is 6 inches x 3 inches.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
Try calling or e-mailing the Loblaws "Mobile Shop" and ask where in your area you might find the G4 Play. They might be able to put one on hold for you (this is what they did for me).

It's a solid phone -- not the latest-and-greatest, but very satisfactory.

It can be unlocked for about $3 and then used on the Fido network.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Sooooo, thank you to all again for the advice and guidance. I just got back from Best Buy and got them to match the price on the Moto G Play with PCMobile's deal and I got another 5% off for a total of $122+tax. Pretty good I think. But stay tuned folks because when it arrives I will be asking more ridiculous questions on unlocking. I plan to use Mobifree but don't quite understand how and when to enter the code. Does a prompt pop up as soon as I plug it in to start charging? If not, then when and where. And do I then call Fido to set up the account? And do I install the sim card before or after initial charging??? Sorry for being such an old fart but somebody's got to sit on the porch all day and shoo kids and dogs off of their lawn. It's not gonna happen by itself is it?

Anyway that's a few days away as the phone is being shipped, the store didn't have any in stock. Thanks again everybody!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)