• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2010 3:01 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 7, 2009
65 posts

Buying in the US

Hey Guys,

I've never bought anything from the ebay from the US to Canada and I jut saw a receiver for a HT with a resonable price that I couldn't find here..but I was wondering about what kinda of taxes it will be applied for the customs on this product and how that works..when I pay this taxes, where..etc

The produc is in Lake Charles, United States and I'm in VAN, BC.
The price is about U$240,00 plus shipping (U$25)

Can anyone give me a clue!?

Thanks.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
There have been cases where Ebay'er will not ship to Canada if selling from the U.S. so I would either check the listing or ask the seller if they will even allow you to bid since some don't even allow Canadian bids.
Next it's brokerage fees that may be charges to the order and it really depends on which carrier the item is being shipped by, in other words it would appear that UPS is the worst at charging both brokerage fees as well as taxes. Sometimes you get lucky and don't pay either.......I did say lucky...right.
Next check to see how much more they charge to ship to Canada since some seller charge much more to ship to Canada.
Then there is the exchange rate that paypal charges which they usually attatch a small comission if that's what you want to call it as well as the standard exchange rates.

After that is said and done the bottom line price may change.
Oct 22, 2007
23 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
I have bought many things (including electronics) from the US from EBAY. I set up a full home theater room including a projector, receiver, and speakers all shipped from the US. My advice is you need to know that some if not most companies will not honor the warranty in Canada and that shipping can get expensice if they ship through some brokers (UPS being the worst) as they charge you a broker fee for clearing customs on top that customs charges you tax on items over $60 including an additional tax of 6% on electronics. That all being said you can still find some incredible deals on some products that make it all worth it. For example when I bought my projector (a Panasonic AX-200) the cheapest I could find the projector here in Canada was 1999 plus tax for the AX-100 but I got the AX-200 for 1199, plus exchange from US to CDN, plus tax, plus shipping and still got a better proce by about $600 or so. Always have the vendor ship with USPS if you can as they only charge a $5 brokeredge fee vice the $50 UPS charges. I also bought a receiver for a lot less than I could get a simular one for here in Canada. Prices have come down some but there are still good deals to be had.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)