• Dec 12th, 2018 3:39 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2015
14 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON

Buying used car from Auction (Ontario)

Hi,

I didnt want to open a new thread but I could fine the proper one to ask my question.

I know someone who is working in the auction and buys and sells used cars. I decided to buy a car from him. Can anyone tell me about the fees and taxes? I've heard that tax need to be paid two times + auction fee and registeration and licence fees. The person who is at the auction and get the car has to pay tax and I need to pay tax when I get the car from him. Is that right?

Thank you
5 replies
Feb 25, 2017
10 posts
The auction fees are about 200-300 bucks from what I've seen. It varies depending on auction and seller, could be higher or lower. You don't have to pay HST twice. The dealer can claim ITC on HST paid to the auction, so you'd ideally only pay HST on the final amount. Licensing, Inspection and related repairs, Emission Registration etc will be extra.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2999 posts
225 upvotes
Ottawa
im looking to buy a used car from Auction

Does anyone know a person/service that provides this in Ottawa?

If you have any information please send me a pm

Thanks!
Hello
Oct 3, 2017
181 posts
106 upvotes
Just be aware that when you buy from an auction you have 2 days to have the car moved out of the lot (length of time may vary). Since the cars are sold as is you cannot drive it off the lot you need to get it towed and then safety certified before you can go get a plate and drive it. Cost of safety depends on what is found to be deficient. Auction cars are not inspected prior to sale although major problems might be listed in the selling notes but often many are not.

I know someone who paid big $$ for a nice low mileage Acura, they paid on the spot (a requirement) and when they went to pick up the car tow truck in hand it had been damaged between the time of the auction and the pickup. Was a battle to get a refund but he got it refunded in the end.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2999 posts
225 upvotes
Ottawa
I am looking for someone / service to inspect and have the car ready

I used to buy vehichles in montreal this way, i think i paid $500 fee for him to inspect it buy it and hand it over. Many of my friends did this aswell

Just wondering if anyone knows someone here in Ottawa? or would it be eaisier for me to just buy it in Quebec and bring it over?
Hello