Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes

Buying a used car seat

Hi:

I have a couple Britax seats and I need two more for the other vehicle. I was browsing online and saw a couple stage 2/3 car seats for a decent deal. I was wondering what peoples' thoughts were on buying a used car seat. A part of me says it doesn't matter as long as it is in good condition, no recalls, not expired and hasn't been in an accident. The other part of me is saying, is it really worth saving 400-500 dollars for the safety of my kids?
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
we ended up buying new - but i can see the appeal of buying used

i think important to trust your seller somewhat

seats are only meant to take a single impact and they say you cannot see damage -- but i think that's a line drummed up by the seat manufacturer.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes
ssainani wrote: we ended up buying new - but i can see the appeal of buying used

i think important to trust your seller somewhat

seats are only meant to take a single impact and they say you cannot see damage -- but i think that's a line drummed up by the seat manufacturer.
I've already spent about $800 on car seats (2 Britax, 1 Safety 1st - grandma's car) :'(, Hoping I don't have to spend another $600. I guess I have to trust the seller, I can run their vehicle through ICBC for a small fee which should give me some assurance as well. I'm 50/50 on new vs used right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
For me, I'd say no to used - unless it was from someone you knew, or a friend from someone at work, for example.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
You need to know if it's had any major impacts or accidents. Also check the date of manufacture on the car seat - they do expire after a certain number of years.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
not to be a jerk.. but your children are worth the cost of buying new. NEVER buy car seats or motorcycle helmets used.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
fyi - Can Tire flyer has an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 on sale for 199.99 currently. It has been a while since any of my children have needed car seats.. but I think Eddie B. is a good name...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
This whole "kids are so fragile" phenomenon is amazing...the amount of money parents spends on their kids here in NA is amazing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a parent and have spent tons of money already for my kid; but sometimes think back; was there no other cost effective options?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: This whole "kids are so fragile" phenomenon is amazing...the amount of money parents spends on their kids here in NA is amazing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a parent and have spent tons of money already for my kid; but sometimes think back; was there no other cost effective options?
I'd say if it was buying from family or a good friend, then probably yes since you know and can trust them. If it's a stranger? I would be quite weary myself.

I think there's a balance in being reasonable and cautious, I think getting a good, reliable car seat is reasonable and worth the extra costs, especially if you live in the Toronto area where basically no one knows how to drive. It's also one of those things that where you have no control over someone else crashing/driving into your car.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1456 posts
158 upvotes
Thanks for the responses. I'll just buy new, it isn't that we don't have the money, it's just annoying to spend so much on car seats. But while there likely isn't any risk of buying used, why would I take any chances. In practical senses, there is almost nothing wrong with used car seats in my opinion, but guess no one ever does buy used for obvious reasons.

I could just move the seats around when needed, since we never have both cars out at once, but that is too troublesome.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
We used the seats from our friends and I didn't think twice about it. It's not really any different than re-using a car seat you had with an older child on your younger one. Car seats are designed to absorb the shock like the crumple zone in a car so if it's been in an accident, I think you'd be able to tell.

You do have to check the dates though - I believe officially it might be 7 years but I'd probably want something less than 5 years.

That said, finding used car seats is not always trivial, from my experience, Kijiji will not let you list used car seats (even for free) and I'm not sure if second hand stores sell them either.
May 12, 2014
997 posts
822 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think as long as the date is within the official limit and is Canadian, I see nothing wrong with a used seat.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
There are plenty of things I will buy used, but a car seat was never one of them. Regardless if it is not expired, there is no way for you to tell just by eyeing it, if it has been in a crash and is compromised. Not worth a baby/kid's life.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
I think if its being advertised online as a used carseat and doesn't include the date of manufacturer in the ad its already against Transport Canada guidelines ... so if that's the case, I wouldn't be buying from them. We did use hand me down seats though but from family and friends only.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1886 posts
161 upvotes
michelb wrote: ...so if it's been in an accident, I think you'd be able to tell.
so wrong it qualifies as Wrong Statement Of The Year.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
I would never buy someone's used car seat, slightly unsafe, but also very icky.

I also don't buy used clothing or goods for my kids either - so take what I said with a grain of salt :)
Jan 30, 2008
881 posts
425 upvotes
mcewen wrote: so wrong it qualifies as Wrong Statement Of The Year.
This x 1,000,000. How the hell would you be able to tell? I've yet to meet a person with xray vision.... And even then, you may be able to see hairline fractures from a previous impact but no way can you tell that the foam has been compromised - as in, experienced impact that has crushed the foam to some degree. This means the next time that seat is in an accident, its ability to absorb impact is less....ie. your kid takes more of the impact that he/she should.

I think it's fine to get one from a family or close friend as you probably are familiar with their vehicle accident history or I would hope they disclosure something like that before pawning off a piece of safety equipment to you.

And yes, I do agree manufacturers teach more caution than you may really need, whether for profit, safety, or both. But really, how much is your kid's life worth?

I see parents spends hundreds on useless toys and clothes for their kids yet don't blink an eye at compromising on safety equipment.

Then again.....mcewen's avatar reminds me that people do the same with safety equipment of any kind.
Apr 9, 2004
393 posts
158 upvotes
London
I wouldn't. And I wouldn't advise anyone to do the same. The seats coming out of total write offs often look immaculate, yet are compromised. You really can't tell in most cases. People do all kinds of crazy stuff with their seats. Even if they haven't been in a collision ... They wash the harnesses, they accidentally re-route straps dangerously incorrect. They spray seats with fabreeze or fabric softener (yes, car seats have a certain speed at which the cover is supposed to burn at if you were in a collision and a fire followed).

There is no reason you need to spend $600-800 on 2 seats, why not just pick up a more affordable seat and buy new? I may have nicer seats in our primary vehicles, but in my moms truck I've spent under $200 for all 3 of my kids (7 year old in a hbb, 4 year old harnessed and a rear facing 8mo old).
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Funny how some people are binary when it comes to used.

Responsible Parent A: This seat is great, has never been in an accident. Today we are using it, but tomorrow we are moving on. I wish to sell it to someone who needs it since they will save on the cost, and the Legally useful life of this product still has 70% remaining.

RFD Member: NOPE. As soon as it passes hands, it is completely unsafe. If the Responsible Parent A had kept it, it's still safe and ok. But otherwise, if it switches owners.. nope. And do not trust it at all no matter how responsible, normal, detailed Responsible Parent A appears to be. Buy new everytime.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Responsible Parent A: This seat is great, has never been in an accident. Today we are using it, but tomorrow we are moving on. I wish to sell it to someone who needs it since they will save on the cost, and the Legally useful life of this product still has 70% remaining.

RFD Member: NOPE. As soon as it passes hands, it is completely unsafe. If the Responsible Parent A had kept it, it's still safe and ok. But otherwise, if it switches owners.. nope. And do not trust it at all no matter how responsible, normal, detailed Responsible Parent A appears to be. Buy new everytime.
People can say anything right? How do you know Parent A is responsible? If it were friends or family it maybe a different story ... random Kijiji stranger... who knows?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)