• Oct 25th, 2014 12:18 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 14, 2013
54 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Buying used car without insurance

This guy told me, since he was intend to sell it, no insurance covered so far. Is that a problem when transferring and registering?
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
kavinye wrote: This guy told me, since he was intend to sell it, no insurance covered so far. Is that a problem when transferring and registering?
No problem at all on his side.
You are responsible for insuring the vehicle in order to register it under your name.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
Yeah but he might be a curbsider
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
If the person doesn't have it insured, chances are its not declared street legal( plated ), but then again any vehicle you buy that is not saftied is same situation.

Ask to see ownership in there name, as chances are very high they never registered car either, which I would run, as they are avoiding something...taxes/etc..
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
618 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
theguyz wrote: If the person doesn't have it insured, chances are its not declared street legal( plated ), but then again any vehicle you buy that is not saftied is same situation.

Ask to see ownership in there name, as chances are very high they never registered car either, which I would run, as they are avoiding something...taxes/etc..
Lots of people buy a new car and take their old car off the road until they sell it, meaning they cancel insurance on it. Why pay for insurance when you're not driving it? Maybe hes selling because he can't afford insurance, hence the reason there is no insurance. Maybe hes selling because he lost his license and can't get insurance?

Man, so many people jump to absurd conclusions on this site.

No insurance? Hes a damn curbsider!! Avoid!!...shheeeshh
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
cferguson23 wrote: Lots of people buy a new car and take their old car off the road until they sell it, meaning they cancel insurance on it. Why pay for insurance when you're not driving it? Maybe hes selling because he can't afford insurance, hence the reason there is no insurance. Maybe hes selling because he lost his license and can't get insurance?

Man, so many people jump to absurd conclusions on this site.

No insurance? Hes a damn curbsider!! Avoid!!...shheeeshh
OP stated seller bought and intended to sell and did not insure = person bought car and did not insure yet.

If its registered( sellers name, taxes paid ) its labeled as NOT BRANDED!( aka not plated ) so safety needed( Not big deal ) since no insurance.

If not in sellers name ( car flipper as seller intended in selling versus keeping ) , means seller is avoiding paying tax on registering car in there name, which means more prophit for them on sale.

Nothing wrong with this scenario, as seller clearly stated he intended to flip, although i would suggest getting your mechanic to view as maybe they intended to put on road and found out safety will cost more than its worth. Seen this many times.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
theguyz wrote: OP stated seller bought and intended to sell and did not insure = person bought car and did not insure yet.

If its registered( sellers name, taxes paid ) its labeled as NOT BRANDED!( aka not plated ) so safety needed( Not big deal ) since no insurance.

If not in sellers name ( car flipper as seller intended in selling versus keeping ) , means seller is avoiding paying tax on registering car in there name, which means more prophit for them on sale.

Nothing wrong with this scenario, as seller clearly stated he intended to flip, although i would suggest getting your mechanic to view as maybe they intended to put on road and found out safety will cost more than its worth. Seen this many times.
Did you really understand all that from the original post?
I barely understood anything.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)