Art and Photography

Buying used DSLR from Henry, what to look for?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2014 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
1570 posts
115 upvotes

Buying used DSLR from Henry, what to look for?

I've been doing a little bit of freelancing work lately and looking to get a 2nd/backup body. The one that I'm eyeing for is rated at 8+ (used score) online for Henry. Put a reserve on it and will go check it out later today. Just wondering if anyone has experience buying used camera from them, or a used higher end DSLR in general.
9 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto, ON
no different that what you would do buying from kijiji or craigslist.

Just because its a store, doesn't mean its free from scumbags
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
Depending on what body you are interested in, you might be just as well of waiting for something to come up on Kijiji. Henry's prices are pretty high on used stuff. You do probably get some sort of exchange warranty, but on Kijiji you get to meet the seller and 'understand' the background.
Sep 28, 2009
425 posts
49 upvotes
GTA
I would say there are advantages to buying from Henry's- first a warranty which can be extended and second many of the cameras have been cleaned and serviced.

I have bought a few times used equipment from Henry's on eBay. Worked out well for me. One camera had a known defect that arose later. I had bought the extended warranty and they were great to deal with.

I think you have to know the market and be prepared to a pay a premium but there are advantages.
Jan 29, 2007
61 posts
11 upvotes
I bought a nikon d90 score 8+( or 9 ?) from their eBay store for only $300. Never had a problem with the camea or billing.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
I am sure that the used items at Henry's are backed by a good warranty, but they know what used camera gear is worth and they are generally no screaming deals there. On Kijiji, there are often sellers that have say , 6 month old items that they have lost interest in and they just want to recover something. If you know what you are looking for, these items will be better buys than Henry's.
Oct 23, 2004
96 posts
15 upvotes
I got a used lens from Henry's before and had to use their 3 year warranty. It was pretty painless since if you give Nikon a copy of your Henry's receipt, they'll get the approval to repair and billing directly from Henry's.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
baillieul wrote: Depending on what body you are interested in, you might be just as well of waiting for something to come up on Kijiji. Henry's prices are pretty high on used stuff.
Completely disagree. Henry's has some killer deals on used equipment, even better if you find what you need on their Ebay listings (and know how to Ebay smartly). I got a Nikon MB-D10 grip for $80 that was in excellent condition from their online used section.

Have bought bodies and lenses through their Ebay page with 0 problems and great value.
Nov 6, 2008
213 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
I've bought only two things in the used photo equipment category: a handheld flash metre and an SB-80DX flash. Both were bought from B&H and the ratings were dead on. In fact, the units arrived better than I expected. Because of my experience with B&H used department, I will probably not buy used items from them only.

Personally, I don't like buying from Henry's because their price tends to be higher to begin with, be it used or new equipment.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2005
1689 posts
31 upvotes
Not everything on Henry's eBay store are bargains, esp. with their BIN items, and their listing is in US not in Canadian Dollar. Add to that most of the bad deals are folks who don't know how to bid effectively. That said, there are deals to be had from time to time and for people in GTA you can go to their outlet centre to pick up your stuffs.